Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parallel/taper BSP threads

I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend.
Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female.
Should I use parallel or taper males?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend.
Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female.

Three? Hot, cold and ...?

Should I use parallel or taper males?

The obvious answer of using ordinary tap connectors is presumably not
valid? AFAIK you should never mix parallel and taper threads, so I'd
suggest parallel.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Wade writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend.
Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female.

Three? Hot, cold and ...?

The output -- the mixer doesn't include a spout - that's a separately
fitted item.

Should I use parallel or taper males?

The obvious answer of using ordinary tap connectors is presumably not
valid?

No - ordinary taps are male, not female.

AFAIK you should never mix parallel and taper threads, so I'd
suggest parallel.

OK, thanks.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The output -- the mixer doesn't include a spout - that's a separately
fitted item.

OIC, it's a valve, rather than a tap :-)

No - ordinary taps are male, not female.

Ah, sorry, I misread you to mean female connector required on pipe end
(with image of a normal tap spigot in mind).

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend.
Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female.
Should I use parallel or taper males?

I presume you mean these connections are in the body of the mixer? I have
just bought such a tap but it was provided with extension pipes, with,
presumably, 1/2" BSP parallel threads on the end. As the thread shoulders up
to the (15mm) pipe, there's an O ring. Are you certain there is nothing
missing?

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend.
Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female.
Should I use parallel or taper males?

I hate threaded connections.. just done eight in a bathroom.
PTFE tape and matching parallel joints is the correct way, but I never seem
to get the correct amount of tape resulting in a leak or near impossible to
screw up, gas PTFE tape is easier IMO as its thicker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote

I hate threaded connections.. just done eight in a bathroom.
PTFE tape and matching parallel joints is the correct way, but I never
seem to get the correct amount of tape resulting in a leak or near
impossible to screw up, gas PTFE tape is easier IMO as its thicker.

If the seal is supposed to be made by the threads themselves then they
should be tapered and PTFE or Boss White should be used to seal.
As another poster comments, parallel threads should be accompanied by either
a fibre facing washer or (as in the case of the modern mixer taps) a rubber
"O" ring.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend.
Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female.
Should I use parallel or taper males?

I hate threaded connections.. just done eight in a bathroom.
PTFE tape and matching parallel joints is the correct way, but I
never seem to get the correct amount of tape resulting in a leak or
near impossible to screw up, gas PTFE tape is easier IMO as its
thicker.

Liquid PTFE is great for this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25548/...iquid-PTFE-50g

I've had 100% success.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news

dennis@home wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend.
Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female.
Should I use parallel or taper males?

I hate threaded connections.. just done eight in a bathroom.
PTFE tape and matching parallel joints is the correct way, but I
never seem to get the correct amount of tape resulting in a leak or
near impossible to screw up, gas PTFE tape is easier IMO as its
thicker.

Liquid PTFE is great for this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25548/...iquid-PTFE-50g

I've had 100% success.

Looks like loctite thread seal to me.. Not PTFE in any shape or form.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bob Mannix" writes:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend.
Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female.
Should I use parallel or taper males?

I presume you mean these connections are in the body of the mixer? I have
just bought such a tap but it was provided with extension pipes, with,
presumably, 1/2" BSP parallel threads on the end. As the thread shoulders up
to the (15mm) pipe, there's an O ring. Are you certain there is nothing
missing?

There may be something missing. Apparently it was cheap because
it was the display model with no box (or instructions).

I've bought 3 compression to 1/2" parallel adaptors.

It's probably going to be a while before I fit it though;
friend currently has a tiler tiling the room and he's
positioning every tile individually with a spirit level.
Apart from being rather slow, he's doing an excellent job
though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" writes:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend.
Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female.
Should I use parallel or taper males?

I presume you mean these connections are in the body of the mixer? I have
just bought such a tap but it was provided with extension pipes, with,
presumably, 1/2" BSP parallel threads on the end. As the thread shoulders
up
to the (15mm) pipe, there's an O ring. Are you certain there is nothing
missing?

There may be something missing. Apparently it was cheap because
it was the display model with no box (or instructions).

Ah. In that case almost certainly. Most taps provide either a female tap
connector or a 15 or 10mm pipe. For a display these would have been chucked
with the box in a corner and lost. With the tap I have the box was halved
diagonally by the packing, one half open with the tap in and the other
covered and the pipes were in the covered bit!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend.
Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female.
Should I use parallel or taper males?

I hate threaded connections.. just done eight in a bathroom.
PTFE tape and matching parallel joints is the correct way, but I
never seem to get the correct amount of tape resulting in a leak or
near impossible to screw up, gas PTFE tape is easier IMO as its
thicker.

Liquid PTFE is great for this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25548/...iquid-PTFE-50g

I've had 100% success.

Looks like loctite thread seal to me.. Not PTFE in any shape or form.

No idea, but it works a treat.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message news
Liquid PTFE is great for this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25548/...iquid-PTFE-50g

I've had 100% success.

Looks like loctite thread seal to me.. Not PTFE in any shape or form.

No idea, but it works a treat.

I bought a tub of Boss Supergreen with PTFE.
Not tried it yet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 May 2008 22:16:52 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend. Its 3 connections are
all 1/2" BSP parallel female. Should I use parallel or taper males?

I hate threaded connections.. just done eight in a bathroom. PTFE tape
and matching parallel joints is the correct way, but I never seem to
get the correct amount of tape resulting in a leak or near impossible
to screw up, gas PTFE tape is easier IMO as its thicker.

Liquid PTFE is great for this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25548/...ccessories/No-

Nonsense-Liquid-PTFE-50g

I've had 100% success.

Whilst I agree that liquid PTFE resin is an excellent aid for making
screwed and compression joints (and IMHO much better than tape), the non
non-sense version comes in a standard small squeeze bottle, which is hard
to use. As the bottle get half empty then extracting a few drops becomes
harder and harder. The loctite product in the red "bellows" tube is a joy
to use and works out cheaper because you can put a controlled amount on
each joint, and because you can use 80%+ of the bottle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 May 2008 17:55:16 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I bought a tub of Boss Supergreen with PTFE.
Not tried it yet.

It's OK for sealing compression joints for potable supplies where you
shouldn't use Boss white, and also for sealing annoying waste pipe unions
that persist in leaking despite their washer etc. It's not a lot of use
for thread sealing though.

--
John Stumbles

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?