Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim

Default Taper or Parallel BSP Threads ?

I need to get some fittings to connect up my compressor to a larger receiver
and to a pressure blaster. BES seem to have all the various sizes and
adapters I need, but most come in both a taper and parallel BSP flavour.
Would one design be better than the other for making airtight connections
when it comes to the 120psi the compressor chucks out.

Thanks

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin

Jim wrote in message ...
I need to get some fittings to connect up my compressor to a larger

receiver
and to a pressure blaster. BES seem to have all the various sizes and
adapters I need, but most come in both a taper and parallel BSP flavour.
Would one design be better than the other for making airtight connections
when it comes to the 120psi the compressor chucks out.

Thanks

Jim

I use female parallel and male taper threads together with PTFE tape for air
at this sort of pressure. Seems to work ok.

If I'm making fittings, I can't be bothered to set the lathe up for taper
thread turning but instead make the male thread slightly oversize. I cut the
female with a tap and dont use the plug tap.
This gives a female taper and a male parallel which also works OK again with
PTFE tape.
I only do it this way as I don't have many BSP dies but a reasonable
selection of taps.

Good Luck

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:11:05 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

I need to get some fittings to connect up my compressor to a larger receiver
and to a pressure blaster. BES seem to have all the various sizes and
adapters I need, but most come in both a taper and parallel BSP flavour.
Would one design be better than the other for making airtight connections
when it comes to the 120psi the compressor chucks out.

Thanks

Jim

I've done this exercise, although including setting up a compressed
air ring main in the workshop using filter/regulator/lubricators etc.

A better source of supply for all things for compressed air is
www.thorite.co.uk

They do a very good catalogue which is rather more usable than their
web site.

Regarding threads, the normal use seems to be to use either taper
threads with PTFE tape or parallel thread fittings with a sealing
ring.

http://www.robotstoreuk.com/ACTUATOR...gs-Guide-1.htm

gives some ideas on this.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ken

Connecting up to a larger receiver wont increase the CFM of the
compressor, so I wouldnt bother with this until you have tried your
blast equipment, and have determined whether or not you have enough
CFM. You would have a good idea whether or not the set up you have is
likely to work, by the size of the nozzle on your blaster..........if
its anything much above about 6mm diameter, then its only going to work
in short bursts with a 3hp compressor, and you are going to need more
CFM to overcome this problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Ken wrote:

likely to work, by the size of the nozzle on your blaster..........if
its anything much above about 6mm diameter, then its only going to work
in short bursts with a 3hp compressor, and you are going to need more
CFM to overcome this problem.

The length of the "short bursts" being dictated by the size of the
receiver I would have thought?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ken

John Rumm wrote:
Ken wrote:

likely to work, by the size of the nozzle on your blaster..........if
its anything much above about 6mm diameter, then its only going to work
in short bursts with a 3hp compressor, and you are going to need more
CFM to overcome this problem.

The length of the "short bursts" being dictated by the size of the
receiver I would have thought?

--
Cheers,

John.

The size of the receiver doesnt make the slightest difference to the
amount of air being consumed by whatever you have connected to it. Its
certainly not worth wasting time and effort sorting out a larger
receiver, if you dont have enough CFM to supply your requirements
properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Ken wrote:

The size of the receiver doesnt make the slightest difference to the
amount of air being consumed by whatever you have connected to it.

Was not suggesting that it would. Only that doubling the capacity of the
receiver doubles the amount of air stored, and hene the length of time
you can work before you run out of air. On the down side you obviously
have to wait twice as long for full recovery, and the total amount of
mins/hour you can run the tool will remain the same - only the duty
cycle changes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ken

One wonders if you have actually ever used an air tool of any kind?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Ken wrote:

One wonders if you have actually ever used an air tool of any kind?

A few... of them I expect that my small grit blaster and my impact
wrench have the highest demands. I can run neither continously on my
small compressor - but can still get useful work done with them if I
don't mind waiting for the compressor to recharge.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? That a bigger receiver stores
more air than a smaller one? Or that it will run a given tool for longer
before falling below a useable pressure?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Ken wrote:

One wonders if you have actually ever used an air tool of any

kind?

A few... of them I expect that my small grit blaster and my impact
wrench have the highest demands. I can run neither continously on my
small compressor - but can still get useful work done with them if I
don't mind waiting for the compressor to recharge.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? That a bigger receiver stores
more air than a smaller one? Or that it will run a given tool for

longer
before falling below a useable pressure?

--
Cheers,

John.

A bigger receiver is definately an advantage. My blasting cabinet uses
very slightly more air than my Hydrovane compressor provides (15 cfm I
think). I have fitted a vast receiver in the workshop loft space (with
an automatic drain valve) which means I can blast for 15 mins or so
before the pressure drops too low for effective use. As most of my
bits don't take 15 mins to clean, and the time between cleanings is
often measured in days rather than hours I can use the cabinet freely
at any time. Without the extra receiver this would not be possible. I
do have a further compressor that I can switch on to the air ring main
if a particularly large job needs to be done but the extra receiver
normally suffices and is much quieter !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

John Rumm wrote in message
Ken wrote:

The size of the receiver doesnt make the slightest difference to the
amount of air being consumed by whatever you have connected to it.

Was not suggesting that it would. Only that doubling the capacity of the
receiver doubles the amount of air stored, and hene the length of time
you can work before you run out of air. On the down side you obviously
have to wait twice as long for full recovery, and the total amount of
mins/hour you can run the tool will remain the same - only the duty
cycle changes.

I won't disagree with your theory but in practice for shotbasting with a
reasonable size nozzle the waiting time for a large receiver to regain
useable pressure when driven by a small compressor is _hugely_ annoying.
90cfm is considered almost a minimum, unless you are doing coin size objects
in a cabinet.
This is what I use. http://tinyurl.com/9vrl3

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim

Thanks to everyone that posted, ended up with a mixture of taper and
parallel depending on what combination of fixings I needed !

I'm only doing a Spitfire restoration so don't want to spend vast amounts on
compressors, receivers etc. I've currently got a 3HP 10CFM compressor with a
50 litre receiver and the secondary receiver is approx 300 litres. I'll give
this combo a go and see how I get on.

Thanks again

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm
saying something like:

One wonders if you have actually ever used an air tool of any kind?

A few... of them I expect that my small grit blaster and my impact
wrench have the highest demands. I can run neither continously on my
small compressor - but can still get useful work done with them if I
don't mind waiting for the compressor to recharge.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? That a bigger receiver stores
more air than a smaller one? Or that it will run a given tool for longer
before falling below a useable pressure?

Ignore Ken; he's just a trolling idiot. You'll notice he hasn't come
back to prove you wrong, he just gets abusive when anybody notices he's
full of compressed air.
--

Dave