Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Best thing to cut plyboard (wardrobe backing)

I'm guessing an electric jigsaw is a bit too severe ?

I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article
,
paulfoel wrote:

I'm guessing an electric jigsaw is a bit too severe ?

I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

You could use a jigsaw or a spiral saw (RotoZip).

Or drill four holes and use a pad saw:

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...rchstr=pad+saw
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

paulfoel wrote:

I'm guessing an electric jigsaw is a bit too severe ?
I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

Should be ok, if you stick a fine ish toothed blade in.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Apr 30, 1:30*pm, John Rumm wrote:
paulfoel wrote:
I'm guessing an electric jigsaw is a bit too severe ?

* I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
* have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

Should be ok, if you stick a fine ish toothed blade in.

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Hmm. I assume you know the sort of board I mean. The thin bendy stuff
that you panel pin on to flat pack wardrobes (usually about 2mm
thick).

Unfortunately, the wardrobes are already in place...

I'm just a bit concerned that a jigsaw will start to rip holes rather
than a nice straight cut...
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

paulfoel wrote:
I'm guessing an electric jigsaw is a bit too severe ?
I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

Should be ok, if you stick a fine ish toothed blade in.

--
Cheers,

John.

Hmm. I assume you know the sort of board I mean. The thin bendy stuff
that you panel pin on to flat pack wardrobes (usually about 2mm
thick).

Unfortunately, the wardrobes are already in place...

I'm just a bit concerned that a jigsaw will start to rip holes rather
than a nice straight cut...

A *variable speed* jigsaw with a very high tpi blade *should* be easy
enough to control and avoid that.

For real precision, you can mark it out and then use a very small drill
bit to pierce dozens of tiny holes along the line. The saw, on a very
slow speed, should follow the holes very closely. It may be better to
use a pad saw, or even a craft knife, to "join the dots" - epending on
the circumstances.

--
Sue

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

I had to cut some of this board recently and I got a perfect cut by using a
stanley knife. Once you have scored where the cut should be just keep
genetly going over the scored line and you're through in no time. The blade
isn't much use afterwards though!

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

paulfoel wrote:

Hmm. I assume you know the sort of board I mean. The thin bendy stuff
that you panel pin on to flat pack wardrobes (usually about 2mm
thick).

Shiny one side, fine waffle pattern the other? Typical hardboard basically.

Unfortunately, the wardrobes are already in place...

I'm just a bit concerned that a jigsaw will start to rip holes rather
than a nice straight cut...

As long as you can get the sole plate against the board, and are not
trying to cut it while flapping about, you should be ok. If your jigsaw
has a variable speed then slow it down a bit from its maximum, and use a
fine sharp blade.

If you don't trust yourself to get neat edges, then mark the square out,
and score the edges with a sharp knife. Then drill a hole in the middle
and use the jigsaw to cut from the hole diagonally out to each corner.
You can then snap off the waste bits at your score line.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"elziko" wrote in message
om...
I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

I had to cut some of this board recently and I got a perfect cut by using
a stanley knife. Once you have scored where the cut should be just keep
genetly going over the scored line and you're through in no time. The
blade isn't much use afterwards though!

I will second that!! Stanley Blade.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"paulfoel" wrote in message

Hmm. I assume you know the sort of board I mean. The thin bendy stuff
that you panel pin on to flat pack wardrobes (usually about 2mm
thick).

A Stanley knife should do the job.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Baz" wrote in message

"elziko" wrote in message
om...
I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

I had to cut some of this board recently and I got a perfect cut by using
a stanley knife. Once you have scored where the cut should be just keep
genetly going over the scored line and you're through in no time. The
blade isn't much use afterwards though!

I will second that!! Stanley Blade.

I will third it that ! stanley blade, had to do the same myself.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

reg wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
"elziko" wrote in message
om...
I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...
I had to cut some of this board recently and I got a perfect cut by using
a stanley knife. Once you have scored where the cut should be just keep
genetly going over the scored line and you're through in no time. The
blade isn't much use afterwards though!

I will second that!! Stanley Blade.

I will third it that ! stanley blade, had to do the same myself.

But first you each had to find your lost Stanley knives?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

paulfoel wrote:
I'm guessing an electric jigsaw is a bit too severe ?

I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

Should be ok, if you stick a fine ish toothed blade in.

--
Cheers,

John.

Hmm. I assume you know the sort of board I mean. The thin bendy stuff
that you panel pin on to flat pack wardrobes (usually about 2mm
thick).

Unfortunately, the wardrobes are already in place...

I am a little confused as in your first post you said "I want to cut a hole
so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but have a cut out for the
exisitng elec socket..." now the wardrobes are in place!

Anyhow...

Do you know exactky where the sockets are, rather than 'they are somewhere
about there!'. If so do some careful measuring and then lie on your tummy
and using a metal straight edge and a Stanley knife make the cutout using
several strokes along your lines rather than trying to 'saw it through'.
Remember to allow for the strain relief part of the plug top (where the
cable goes in) as depending how far back the socket is you may not be able
to get the plug into the socket without the cable fouling on the backboard.
I have done this before a few times successfully.

Other than that can the wardrobes be moved and then put back after the
cutout has been done?

HTH

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 30 Apr, 09:38, paulfoel wrote:
I'm guessing an electric jigsaw is a bit too severe ?

I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

Try a 1/4" router and a trammel bar. Prefect circle every time.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Used a stanley knife last night. Worked a treat.

Just marked it all out and scored over the line with the knife. 3/4
goes over it and a nice clean cut. Excellent.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"1501" wrote in message
On 30 Apr, 09:38, paulfoel wrote:
I'm guessing an electric jigsaw is a bit too severe ?

I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

Try a 1/4" router and a trammel bar. Prefect circle every time.

But where would you get a round electric socket in the UK ;-)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 May 2008 12:58:26 GMT, "Harry Stottle"
wrote:

"1501" wrote in message
On 30 Apr, 09:38, paulfoel wrote:
I'm guessing an electric jigsaw is a bit too severe ?

I want to cut a hole so I can stick the wardrobe against the wall but
have a cut out for the exisitng elec socket...

Try a 1/4" router and a trammel bar. Prefect circle every time.

But where would you get a round electric socket in the UK ;-)

Loads of people do them - intended to fit BESA conduit boxes.

--
Frank Erskine