Default Water backing up into tub

Hi,

We are getting water backing up into our tub which is at the same level
as our dishwasher and kitchen sink. When the dishwasher drains or if
the sink is somewhat full and it drains then for some reason water
backs up into the tub and it is kind of nasty because it has all the
gook from the drain in it.

I tried snaking out the tub but it didn't seem to help this time. This
has been happening off and on ever since we had our kitchen remodeled
and the new sink and dishwasher put in. The bathroom was redone also
during that renovation.

Any ideas on what might be causing this other than a clog somewhere in
the line?

Thanks for any feedback.

Steve

Dan C

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 04:28:53 -0700, szeik wrote:

Any ideas on what might be causing this other than a clog somewhere in
the line?

A septic tank that needs to be pumped?

Linux Registered User #327951

No

As somone else said - It could be bad venting. It could also be a clog
beyond where the two lines connect (Even as far as a septic system as
another poster suggested).

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We are getting water backing up into our tub which is at the same level
as our dishwasher and kitchen sink. When the dishwasher drains or if
the sink is somewhat full and it drains then for some reason water
backs up into the tub and it is kind of nasty because it has all the
gook from the drain in it.

I tried snaking out the tub but it didn't seem to help this time. This
has been happening off and on ever since we had our kitchen remodeled
and the new sink and dishwasher put in. The bathroom was redone also
during that renovation.

Any ideas on what might be causing this other than a clog somewhere in
the line?

Thanks for any feedback.

Steve

That makes sense. Is it time to call the plumber?

Thanks,
Steve

O.K.

We have sewers.

Thanks,
Steve

If it is bad venting then what would a repair job involve? Is it a
really big deal? Is it something that only a plumber would do or might
the contractor be able to handle it.

Thanks,
Steve

Patrick Casher

I had similar problem between the bathroom sink and tub. Had two plumbers
out to no avail. Finally put Roebic Bacterial drain & trap cleaner in every
night for a week and it did the trick.

On 15-Jun-2005, wrote:

If it is bad venting then what would a repair job involve? Is it a
really big deal? Is it something that only a plumber would do or might
the contractor be able to handle it.

I believe you said the problems started after a remodel. I can't tell from
here but that seems to imply that some plumbing work that occurred during
that remodel was improperly vented. I would think that your remodeling
contract (assuming you didn't do it yourself, which I doubt since you seem
to be eager to use plumbers), would specify that any work, i.e. plumbing
installations, is to be done to professional standards, blah, blah, i.e.
adhering to building code. Building code specifies properly vented drains.

So in other words whoever did your remodel, assuming it is in fact an
improperly vented drain, botched at least this part of the job and should be
on the hook to make it right. If that contractor needs to sub out a plumber
then so be it. Perhaps they should of subbed out a plumber the first time.
At any rate it seems to me that this is all part of your remodel and that
your contractor should take care of getting it fixed one way or the other.

Whoever did the plumbing install should know whether they vented the drain
properly or not. If they don't then they almost certainly didn't. Your
contractor should find this out. If they did vent it properly then maybe
the problem is, as suggested, a clog further downstream than you've checked.
In this case your contractor isn't on the hook for it.

Stormin Mormon

You are simply not allowed to tell him that. The original poster has told us
not to suggest a clogged drain.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

If they did vent it properly then maybe
the problem is, as suggested, a clog further downstream than you've checked.
In this case your contractor isn't on the hook for it.

Stormin Mormon

That's like finding a ball player at a base ball game, it's 100F out, and
humid. The player is laying on the ground in the sun. The player is hot,
sweatty, and pale. You summon an ambulance tech and ask "Well, do you have
any ideas other than heat exhaustion"?

The answer (at least to me, from my keyboard in my living room) is so
obvious I won't tell you. At least not in this post.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We are getting water backing up into our tub which is at the same level
as our dishwasher and kitchen sink. When the dishwasher drains or if
the sink is somewhat full and it drains then for some reason water
backs up into the tub and it is kind of nasty because it has all the
gook from the drain in it.

I tried snaking out the tub but it didn't seem to help this time. This
has been happening off and on ever since we had our kitchen remodeled
and the new sink and dishwasher put in. The bathroom was redone also
during that renovation.

Any ideas on what might be causing this other than a clog somewhere in
the line?

Thanks for any feedback.

Steve

Just to finish this chapter....

It was a clog in the drain. Had the plumber out today and he snaked it
right out in 2 minutes. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I guess I didn't have the right technique when I tried snaking it
although I'm pretty sure I had a lot of the snake out. I have the kind
that attaches to a power drill.

Steve

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
A/C Drainage Pipe clogged... water backing up into hallway Ringo Langly Home Repair 6 August 17th 04 09:15 PM
Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 05:32 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM