Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Default Mirror backing

Getting ready to assemble the new medicine cabinet door for the
bathroom. The backside of the door has a recess for 1/8'' thick mirror
glass, then another 1/8'' thick recess, 3/8'' wider all around, for
backing. What's a good material for mirror backing, paintable or white
on one side, and easily stapled? The mirror is not large (15'' x 24''),
so I don't need a 4' x 8' sheet of anything.

It's not a grand woodworking project, but I think it will look nice.
Gave me a chance to use the nice miter saw that my wife bought me for my
birthday, and the biscuit joiner that I got from Harbor Freight. And,
old news to you expert woodworkers but new to me: I've always used
"combo" blades in the table saw when ripping. But I just bought a Freud
dedicated ripping blade -- what a difference it makes.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
patrick conroy

et wrote in message

backing. What's a good material for mirror backing, paintable or white
on one side, and easily stapled? The mirror is not large (15'' x 24''),

1/8" thick Hardboard? 1/4" plywood?

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

How are things in Frosbite Falls, these days?

et wrote in message

backing. What's a good material for mirror backing, paintable or white
on one side, and easily stapled? The mirror is not large (15'' x 24''),

1/8" thick Hardboard? 1/4" plywood?

HD/Lowes (my supplies by geography) seem to have 3/16ths hardboard, but
no 1/8ths. 1/4'' plywood too thick.

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

How are things in Frosbite Falls, these days?

Mrs Squirrel complains of the shorter days, but otherwise fine.
Upsidaisium mine has shut down, putting a lot of miners out of work.
Michael Moore is planning a documentary.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
Charles Spitzer

et wrote in message
[...]

door skin?

when i build stained glass mirrors, i tape an opened brown paper bag behind
the mirror part. this will protect against scratches to the mirror paint,
which would be visible from the front.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

[...]