Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Trench radiator?

I've got a space below a breakfast bar where I quite fancy putting a trench
radiator. I'm not planning on adding forced convection with a fan, just a
passive radiator. (I think it might warm up the "knee space" nicely).

Anyhow, they look a bit pricey and I wondered if I could do anything myself
with a few (say 4 to 6) lengths of 15mm copper pipe. Clearly standard pipe
isn't too clever for radiating heat so I was wondering if there was any easy
DIY way of adding finning. Alternatively I suppose I could use heaps of
microbore but I've never played with that.

The trench would be about 2m long and I'd be happy to use any sort of
off-the-peg grill although I might DIY that too with some slats.

Any suggestions for finning and/or grill?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
I've got a space below a breakfast bar where I quite fancy putting a trench
radiator. I'm not planning on adding forced convection with a fan, just a
passive radiator. (I think it might warm up the "knee space" nicely).

Anyhow, they look a bit pricey and I wondered if I could do anything myself
with a few (say 4 to 6) lengths of 15mm copper pipe. Clearly standard pipe
isn't too clever for radiating heat so I was wondering if there was any easy
DIY way of adding finning. Alternatively I suppose I could use heaps of
microbore but I've never played with that.

The trench would be about 2m long and I'd be happy to use any sort of
off-the-peg grill although I might DIY that too with some slats.

Any suggestions for finning and/or grill?

Tim

Yes. Look at car oil coolers and auxiliary radiators.

Ok theu are NORMALLY meant for blown applications, but even unblown you
get a lot of surface area in a small space.

If you have a local scrappy go looking for either small cars, or some
performance stuff that has these. Maany are meant for oil, but they are
still copper and can be soldered to conventional piping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:25:39 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:

I've got a space below a breakfast bar where I quite fancy putting a trench
radiator. I'm not planning on adding forced convection with a fan, just a
passive radiator. (I think it might warm up the "knee space" nicely).

Anyhow, they look a bit pricey and I wondered if I could do anything myself
with a few (say 4 to 6) lengths of 15mm copper pipe. Clearly standard pipe
isn't too clever for radiating heat so I was wondering if there was any easy
DIY way of adding finning. Alternatively I suppose I could use heaps of
microbore but I've never played with that.

The trench would be about 2m long and I'd be happy to use any sort of
off-the-peg grill although I might DIY that too with some slats.

Any suggestions for finning and/or grill?

Tim

==================================
A new use for an old idea:

http://www.chandlery.biz/index.php?_...&productId=147

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Apr, 16:52, Cicero wrote:

A new use for an old idea:

http://www.chandlery.biz/index.php?_...&productId=147

Cic.

Hardly worth trying to make your own at £46/mtr.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:16:51 -0700, 1501 wrote:

On 25 Apr, 16:52, Cicero wrote:

A new use for an old idea:

http://www.chandlery.biz/index.php?_...&productId=147

Cic.

Hardly worth trying to make your own at £46/mtr.

==================================
Hardly going to break the bank for a couple of metres!

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
[...]

Fabulous.

Stuff like that is so useful to know that it EXISTS never mind where to
get it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Cicero wrote:
[...]

Bet they'd have gone down well in France 1914-18.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
[...]

It was mainly BELGIUM actually..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
[...]

I think my reading has focussed mainly on France for various reasons -
but I think you are quite right.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Cicero wrote:
[...]

Flanders mostly

in fact

--
geoff

Cost of digging a trench? A.Lee UK diy 11 December 5th 07 11:53 AM
Trench heaters Donwill UK diy 16 May 30th 06 11:14 AM
Trench/ditch digging John Home Repair 13 April 11th 06 05:07 PM
Do I need my trench inspected?? [email protected] UK diy 13 December 11th 05 02:32 AM
trench foundation width [email protected] UK diy 2 October 17th 05 12:15 PM