Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do I need my trench inspected??

Hi

It occurs to me that I might need to get someone official to look down
a hole I have dug. The trench is about 1m deep , 8m long and goes down
the side of my house through a part of the house which will be
demolished. That is, it's inside at the moment, but will be outside
eventually. I had planned to lay a mde water supply pipe in 60mm blue
rigid conduit throughout the entire length of this trench. The conduit
rises ~750mm from what will be an outside wall, so I plan to insulate
the pipe in there. I then planned to back fill the trench with
sand/pea shingle and the stuff I dug out to a depth of about 500mm and
similarly lay a 32mm black conduit with draw string to take my new
electricity supply. Then I plan to back fill to a depth of about 200mm
and lay electrical warning tape. The electricity supply will come into
the house pretty close to the water (in a utility room).

I'm doing this because I've been told to prepare for my new electricity
supply by Central Networks. I figured I might as well use the trench
for my water supply, and it's extremely difficult to dig two trenches
through doorways. Upon exiting the building, the trench will have to
split as the electricity must go in a straight line, and the water has
to wander off to the meter. I would like to leave both conduits ready
for supply connection as and when they happen. I would also dearly like
to backfill so I can get to my fridge.

Do I need to get any of this inspected? If I do, and the water
inspector comes after the electricity is connected, I'm going to be in
a right muddle!

LGF

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bonjour

I'm a Central Networks and Thames Water customer. Sorry for the
confusion generated by my email address, it's a lazy way of avoiding
spam. Though I would like to retire there one day....

Merci et au revior

LGF

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

It occurs to me that I might need to get someone official to look down
a hole I have dug.

Normally they like to be able to see the trench before you backfill .. there
are 2 ways of doing this ... phone and ask for a trench inspection ..
usually be there next day.
Or backfill ... placing in a piece of vertical 100mm pipe at around 1/3 and
2/3 along trench .. that way when they come to inspect they can see conduit
or pipe and measure it's at correct depth.

Then once inspected you pull out that bit of pipe and fill in the hole.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
writes
Hi

It occurs to me that I might need to get someone official to look down
a hole I have dug.

http://www.codehot.co.uk/lyrics/abcd...bbins_hole.htm

If you're in France why not ask someone over there, why do you expect
people in the UK to have a clue ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Owain
writes
wrote:
Bonjour
I'm a Central Networks and Thames Water customer.

Bonjour. I'm an Electricite de France customer :-)

Must be a bloody long extension lead to reach that far north

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What lesson would that be, then

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

wrote:
What lesson would that be, then

Since I can't tell WTF you're on about, I can't tell you.