Liam2198

Default getting old stove inspected

Hi, my wife and I bought an old stove and we need to get it inspected and
brought up to code before we can use it. Who does these inspections? We live
in Massachusetts. Thanks in advance!
Don Phillipson

"Liam2198" wrote in message

Hi, my wife and I bought an old stove and we need to get it inspected

and
brought up to code before we can use it. Who does these inspections? We

live
in Massachusetts. Thanks in advance!

Ask the local fire brigade; you may also need a
building permit to instal the stove. In other jurisdictions
e.g. Ontario there is a Wood Energy Technology Transfer
group supposed to help such problems.

Do not ask your insurance agent until you have found out
for yourself about safe installation and building codes. Some
insurance companies are so jumpy about wood stoves these
days that they may pressure you to meet code standards
for new stoves in a new house.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

you are correct. they are very jumpy. i recently had an insert
installed in my old fire place. photos were required of the removal of
the old fire box. photos required of the installation. installed by a
certified masonary tradesman - his signature on a letter stating it was
installed to code and inspected by the regional fire department - and
his signature. all because i called to see if my home owners insurance
would increase due to the addition of a wood stove.

SQLit

"Liam2198" wrote in message
Hi, my wife and I bought an old stove and we need to get it inspected

and
brought up to code before we can use it. Who does these inspections? We

live
in Massachusetts. Thanks in advance!

Lets see, gas? electric? wood? coal?

Why would you bring an old stove up to code? Go out an buy one that is to
code.

Liam2198

"Liam2198" wrote in message
Hi, my wife and I bought an old stove and we need to get it inspected

and
brought up to code before we can use it. Who does these inspections? We

live
in Massachusetts. Thanks in advance!

Lets see, gas? electric? wood? coal?

Why would you bring an old stove up to code? Go out an buy one that is to
code.

Because it is an old house and we want an old stove that goes with the house.
It is a gas stove from around 1912 or so.
rck

I phoned my insurance company to inquire about a modification and they
raised the rate. I never installed anything but the agent told me that by
inquiring I was proving intent. I lived in Massachusetts, codes there can be
ugly.

Bob

wrote in message
oups.com...
you are correct. they are very jumpy. i recently had an insert
installed in my old fire place. photos were required of the removal of
the old fire box. photos required of the installation. installed by a
certified masonary tradesman - his signature on a letter stating it was
installed to code and inspected by the regional fire department - and
his signature. all because i called to see if my home owners insurance
would increase due to the addition of a wood stove.

go buy a new vermount castings stand alone stove. it looks the part