Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.engineering.electrical

Default Variable speed fan

I am in the UK. Can anyone recommended a 6 inch (150mm) window-mounted
extractor fan for a kitchen. Good value is important as I'm on a
budget.

I want a fan that is not too noisy or too powerful as the kitchen is
small (under 30 cu metres).

Could I use a variable speed controller like this one
http://tinyurl.com/25sx9v with any fan?

Or does the fan have to be of a certain type? For example, able to run
at slow speeds, have a certain number of "windings", use a particular
method of starting, or whatever.

------

My old fan was 255cu m/hr (35W) and it was claimed the noise was 49
dBA. It was quite loud (1800 rpm) and too powerful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.engineering.electrical

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 05:06:09 +0100, John wrote:

I am in the UK. Can anyone recommended a 6 inch (150mm) window-mounted
extractor fan for a kitchen. Good value is important as I'm on a
budget.

I want a fan that is not too noisy or too powerful as the kitchen is
small (under 30 cu metres).

Could I use a variable speed controller like this one
http://tinyurl.com/25sx9v with any fan?

Or does the fan have to be of a certain type? For example, able to run
at slow speeds, have a certain number of "windings", use a particular
method of starting, or whatever.

------

My old fan was 255cu m/hr (35W) and it was claimed the noise was 49
dBA. It was quite loud (1800 rpm) and too powerful.

I once used a stock standard DIY shop extraction fan, connected to a
dimmer designed for inductive loads.

Worked totally flawless for a very long time. (sold the house -
probably still working)

Fan was quite loud at full blast, but whisper silent at ~30% duty. I
used it in the bedroom for ventilation, so quitness was nice to have.

--
- René
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.engineering.electrical

John wrote:

I am in the UK. Can anyone recommended a 6 inch (150mm) window-mounted
extractor fan for a kitchen. Good value is important as I'm on a
budget.

I want a fan that is not too noisy or too powerful as the kitchen is
small (under 30 cu metres).

Could I use a variable speed controller like this one
http://tinyurl.com/25sx9v with any fan?

Or does the fan have to be of a certain type? For example, able to run
at slow speeds, have a certain number of "windings", use a particular
method of starting, or whatever.

------

My old fan was 255cu m/hr (35W) and it was claimed the noise was 49
dBA. It was quite loud (1800 rpm) and too powerful.

Your link page not found. If you only need to quieten the fan down you
probably dont need a controller at all, see
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....eed_Controller
and
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Droppers
You'd only need one reduced speed, so just one capacitor (&bleed R)

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.engineering.electrical

"John" wrote in message
I am in the UK. Can anyone recommended a 6 inch (150mm) window-mounted
extractor fan for a kitchen. Good value is important as I'm on a
budget.

I want a fan that is not too noisy or too powerful as the kitchen is
small (under 30 cu metres).

Could I use a variable speed controller like this one
http://tinyurl.com/25sx9v with any fan?

Or does the fan have to be of a certain type? For example, able to run
at slow speeds, have a certain number of "windings", use a particular
method of starting, or whatever.

------

My old fan was 255cu m/hr (35W) and it was claimed the noise was 49
dBA. It was quite loud (1800 rpm) and too powerful.

-----------
Most small fans will have a shaded pole induction motor. You can use a
variation of a dimmer to control this fan over a limited range but the
device should be rated for motors rather than incandescent lights as the
cheaper ones for lights may not handle switching an inductive load. As I
recall it is about 1.5-2 times the price of one of similar rating for
lights. I have one (designed for motors) on a fireplace blower and this has
a lower limit setting which I set to avoid stalling (no cooling of the
windings if the fan is not turning could limit its life)- something that I
consider essential. This works well. Starting is at full voltage but the
noise can be reduced appreciably -with an associated drop in extraction and
it is fully adjustable between maximum and the minimum setting. A similar
device in a kitchen extraction fan that I have is not as effective because
the back pressure in the duct is a problem and less control is possible- a
window unit should not have this problem.
--

Don Kelly
remove the X to answer

RPM of variable speed DC Motors Louis Ohland Metalworking 15 November 2nd 15 09:33 AM
Variable speed air handler Bob M Home Repair 6 June 9th 06 05:04 AM
Variable speed ROS alexy Woodworking 5 January 1st 06 02:22 AM
Drill Press: variable speed vs. multi-speed TheNewGuy Woodworking 22 November 24th 05 01:32 AM
Variable speed upgrade Colin Spencer Woodturning 2 September 21st 04 12:15 AM