Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.engineering.electrical
Don Kelly Don Kelly is offline

Default Variable speed fan

"John" wrote in message
I am in the UK. Can anyone recommended a 6 inch (150mm) window-mounted
extractor fan for a kitchen. Good value is important as I'm on a
budget.

I want a fan that is not too noisy or too powerful as the kitchen is
small (under 30 cu metres).

Could I use a variable speed controller like this one
http://tinyurl.com/25sx9v with any fan?

Or does the fan have to be of a certain type? For example, able to run
at slow speeds, have a certain number of "windings", use a particular
method of starting, or whatever.

------

My old fan was 255cu m/hr (35W) and it was claimed the noise was 49
dBA. It was quite loud (1800 rpm) and too powerful.

-----------
Most small fans will have a shaded pole induction motor. You can use a
variation of a dimmer to control this fan over a limited range but the
device should be rated for motors rather than incandescent lights as the
cheaper ones for lights may not handle switching an inductive load. As I
recall it is about 1.5-2 times the price of one of similar rating for
lights. I have one (designed for motors) on a fireplace blower and this has
a lower limit setting which I set to avoid stalling (no cooling of the
windings if the fan is not turning could limit its life)- something that I
consider essential. This works well. Starting is at full voltage but the
noise can be reduced appreciably -with an associated drop in extraction and
it is fully adjustable between maximum and the minimum setting. A similar
device in a kitchen extraction fan that I have is not as effective because
the back pressure in the duct is a problem and less control is possible- a
window unit should not have this problem.
--

Don Kelly
remove the X to answer