Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

Default Variable speed ROS

Was considering getting one of PC's small 5" ROS. I've never used a
ROS before, and wonder how useful the variable speed feature of one of
the models is. When would you use less than full speed?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"alexy" wrote in message
Was considering getting one of PC's small 5" ROS. I've never used a
ROS before, and wonder how useful the variable speed feature of one of
the models is. When would you use less than full speed?

Donno. I bought a Fein detail sander with variable speed. The instructions
for everything say to use the highest speed. Well, I got a good buy on
it...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:45:32 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"alexy" wrote in message
.. .
Was considering getting one of PC's small 5" ROS. I've never used a
ROS before, and wonder how useful the variable speed feature of one of
the models is. When would you use less than full speed?

Donno. I bought a Fein detail sander with variable speed. The instructions
for everything say to use the highest speed. Well, I got a good buy on
it...

And a Fein sander it is !
=0 )

Lenny
Posted to rec.woodworking
JeffB

I like the variable speed option. I use mine at full speed and rough grits for
'shaping' operations, and at slower speeds and finer grits for 'finish' sanding
operations. The sanders can be aggressive - especially on plywood or veneers - I
think it's worth the extra $$$ to be able to throttle back the speed. YMMV...
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

alexy wrote:

Was considering getting one of PC's small 5" ROS. I've never used a
ROS before, and wonder how useful the variable speed feature of one of
the models is. When would you use less than full speed?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

I use the slower speeds for rounding over edges and finish
sanding curves. The full speed is way too aggressive in
these applications.

Art

"alexy" wrote in message
Was considering getting one of PC's small 5" ROS. I've never used a
ROS before, and wonder how useful the variable speed feature of one of
the models is. When would you use less than full speed?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Russ

I have the PC 5in always run at full speed seems to vibrate on slower speed.
BTW it's the best sander I ever had. If it ever wears out I'll buy another
only not VS if it's cheaper.
alexy wrote in message
Was considering getting one of PC's small 5" ROS. I've never used a
ROS before, and wonder how useful the variable speed feature of one of
the models is. When would you use less than full speed?
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked

infrequently.