Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What sealant for cables into loft? Electrician's Dum Dum??

What is best for sealing around cables into the loft please?
In particular, is there a non-setting sealant?

I ask as I am replacing some lighting cable. I know I need
to make a good seal around cables to guard against
condensation in the loft. Some sites recommend silicone
sealant. While that has worked so far it seems to me it
will make life hard if future work is needed - eg on
changing light fittings. So I've looked around for the
electrical equivalent of Boss White or Dum Dum without
success so far.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

neverwas wrote:
What is best for sealing around cables into the loft please?
In particular, is there a non-setting sealant?

"Non setting compound" - e.g.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BIR391.html

I ask as I am replacing some lighting cable. I know I need
to make a good seal around cables to guard against
condensation in the loft. Some sites recommend silicone
sealant. While that has worked so far it seems to me it
will make life hard if future work is needed - eg on
changing light fittings. So I've looked around for the
electrical equivalent of Boss White or Dum Dum without
success so far.

Most would use a plaster based filler (Polyfilla) or an acrylic sealant
(painter's mate, decorator's caulk, etc.) for this.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

neverwas wrote:
What is best for sealing around cables into the loft please?
In particular, is there a non-setting sealant?

I ask as I am replacing some lighting cable. I know I need
to make a good seal around cables to guard against
condensation in the loft. Some sites recommend silicone
sealant. While that has worked so far it seems to me it
will make life hard if future work is needed - eg on
changing light fittings. So I've looked around for the
electrical equivalent of Boss White or Dum Dum without
success so far.

Decorators caulk. It does set eventually, but flexibly, and its easy
enough to rip out again. It's also paintable, unlike silicone.

When dealing with plasterboard and stud, a good filler and decorators
caulk makes short work of any damage you do when adding or subtracting
cables and fittings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip
Thanks for the advice (and also that from TNP). I'll try the
decorator's caulk tomorrow.

Leaves me feeling more useless than ever though as
TLC-Direct was the first place I looked since their local
delivery van driver's a frequent visitor lately.

--
Robin