Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrician's On Site Guide: 7th ed vs 8th?

Keep meaning to get myself a copy of the OSG, and someone's just offered
me the 7th ed - that's the 7th edition of the guide to the 16th edition
regs - all very confusing!

I believe the current OSG is the 8th edition: obviously it's best to
have the most up to date version but given that all refer to the 16th
edn of the regs, I'm wondering how much difference there is?

I gather the 17th edition of the regs is imminent so the current OSG
won't be current long anyway I suppose?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Keep meaning to get myself a copy of the OSG, and someone's just offered
me the 7th ed - that's the 7th edition of the guide to the 16th edition
regs - all very confusing!

The OSG doesn't have an edition no. as such, so be careful. The current
edition has a brown cover and was last revised in 2004 to incorporate
the change in wiring colours. The one before that was blue. What
colour is the one you've being offered?

I gather the 17th edition of the regs is imminent so the current OSG
won't be current long anyway I suppose?

FSVO "imminent" - i.e. still over a year away. The 17th ed. will be out
in Jan '08 (see recent thread), and comes fully into force in June. So
it may well be a good few months into 2008 before a new OSG appears.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:18:19 +0000, Andy Wade
wrote:

Lobster wrote:

Keep meaning to get myself a copy of the OSG, and someone's just offered
me the 7th ed - that's the 7th edition of the guide to the 16th edition
regs - all very confusing!

The OSG doesn't have an edition no. as such, so be careful. The current
edition has a brown cover and was last revised in 2004 to incorporate
the change in wiring colours. The one before that was blue. What
colour is the one you've being offered?

The OSG was last "revised" in April 2006 but as far as I can tell the
only change was the IET reference on the rear cover.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Keep meaning to get myself a copy of the OSG, and someone's just
offered me the 7th ed - that's the 7th edition of the guide to the
16th edition regs - all very confusing!

The OSG doesn't have an edition no. as such, so be careful. The current
edition has a brown cover and was last revised in 2004 to incorporate
the change in wiring colours. The one before that was blue. What
colour is the one you've being offered?

Ah.

There's been some misunderstanding he it transpires the book is
actually the "Electrician's Guide", ie Whitfield, of which I already
have a copy!

Thanks for the clarification
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matt wrote:

The OSG was last "revised" in April 2006

Oops, I missed that. Does it still refer to a shower "cubical" [3.6.1(v)]?

but as far as I can tell the only change was the IET reference on the
rear cover.

Which seems odd since they've said that the 17th ed. will still be
subtitled the "IEE Wiring Regulations".

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:07:30 +0000, Andy Wade
wrote:

Matt wrote:

The OSG was last "revised" in April 2006

Oops, I missed that. Does it still refer to a shower "cubical" [3.6.1(v)]?

Yes, there's nothing wrong with a square box like shower as long as
there is adequate headroom

but as far as I can tell the only change was the IET reference on the
rear cover.

Which seems odd since they've said that the 17th ed. will still be
subtitled the "IEE Wiring Regulations".

It's only the rear cover showing the postal address/website url and (I
forgot to mention previously) page 2 with the reprint dates etc that
have changed.

The front cover still says IEE as do all the body text references
inside.