Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen floor

I'm wishing to take up the laminate flooring in my kitchen the only
problem is that it runs under the kitchen units. Which I don't want to
remove. How can I cut round the edge of them. Will an angle grinder be
able to cut around them or would I be better with a circular saw set
at its shallowist setting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MartinB wrote:
I'm wishing to take up the laminate flooring in my kitchen the only
problem is that it runs under the kitchen units. Which I don't want to
remove. How can I cut round the edge of them. Will an angle grinder be
able to cut around them or would I be better with a circular saw set
at its shallowist setting.

Can't you remove the plinths of the units fairly readily? That would
give you access.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

MartinB wrote:
I'm wishing to take up the laminate flooring in my kitchen the only
problem is that it runs under the kitchen units. Which I don't want to
remove. How can I cut round the edge of them. Will an angle grinder be
able to cut around them or would I be better with a circular saw set
at its shallowist setting.

But at best you will have the thickness of the laminate under the
plinths. How are you intending to finish the floor? That might be
significant. So might why you are doing this at all?

I doubt a circular saw would fit in the space between the bottom of the
unit and the floor - certainly not mine (units or saw).

Angle grinder might fit (smaller ones) but you could make a lot of mess
doing it - some of which might damage the surfaces of your units. Or
gouge whatever is under the laminate.

Someone will probably be along soon to recommend the Fein Multimaster
(or similar) - but as I do not have experience, I shall let them
describe and explain.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
MartinB wrote:
[...]

I can't believe that you don't have removable plinths - clipped to the legs.
Can you confirm?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
snip
I can't believe that you don't have removable plinths - clipped to the legs.
Can you confirm?

I was assuming that he does have removable plinths! But, having removed
the laminate exactly up to the plinth, there will be a "thickness of
laminate" jump to the bottom of the plinth. Or, if removed further under
the units, the plinths will drop down by the thickness of laminate.

Even the idea of using a circular saw seems crazy if you do not have
removable plinths.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
John wrote:
snip
I can't believe that you don't have removable plinths - clipped to the
legs. Can you confirm?

I was assuming that he does have removable plinths! But, having removed
the laminate exactly up to the plinth, there will be a "thickness of
laminate" jump to the bottom of the plinth. Or, if removed further under
the units, the plinths will drop down by the thickness of laminate.

Even the idea of using a circular saw seems crazy if you do not have
removable plinths.

--
Rod

onset.

Usually a small gap at the top of the plinth is not visible. At the worse a
plinth can easily be replaced. I would never do any flooring up to a plinth
as it causes problems if you later change the units. It also saves on
cutting the flooring accurately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:20:10 -0700, MartinB wrote:

I'm wishing to take up the laminate flooring in my kitchen the only
problem is that it runs under the kitchen units. Which I don't want to
remove. How can I cut round the edge of them. Will an angle grinder be
able to cut around them or would I be better with a circular saw set
at its shallowist setting.

==================================
If you haven't already removed at least one plinth, do so and check to see
if the units are located on screw-in legs. If they are on legs you 'll be
able to slide the laminate out by selectively propping the units and
screwing the legs up / down.

If you can't do the above, buy a cheap hand-held multitool with a small
circular saw blade to do the cutting.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

I suppose that sometimes units settle on the legs and the weight can
transfer to the plinth. I have had my arm under my units several times to
tighten the feet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
John wrote:
snip
I can't believe that you don't have removable plinths - clipped to
the legs. Can you confirm?

I was assuming that he does have removable plinths! But, having
removed the laminate exactly up to the plinth, there will be a
"thickness of laminate" jump to the bottom of the plinth. Or, if
removed further under the units, the plinths will drop down by the
thickness of laminate.
Even the idea of using a circular saw seems crazy if you do not have
removable plinths.

I always though a plinth was a homosexual platform?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:52:23 +0000, John wrote:

news

-------------------------------

I suppose that sometimes units settle on the legs and the weight can
transfer to the plinth. I have had my arm under my units several times to
tighten the feet.

==================================
A clear case of 'what goes up must come down - eventually'.

Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux

Leveling Kitchen floor with floor tiles [email protected] UK diy 3 July 9th 07 04:28 PM
Kitchen Floor Graham Dean UK diy 0 August 29th 05 04:57 PM
Kitchen Floor Leveled UK diy 17 May 28th 05 06:37 AM
Re-doing kitchen floor Matt Home Repair 7 November 3rd 04 03:24 AM
Kitchen Floor Matt Home Ownership 0 November 2nd 04 05:40 PM