Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default water pump to increase water pressure

Can a plumber give me a simple answer to what I think is a simple question?

I'm working with a building in Thailand to improve the water supply.
Currently we have a pump and pressure tank that can just get up to 2.5Kg/cm
(2.5 bar). This pressure is just enough. Problem is when it reaches pressure
it switches off and only comes back at 1.7 bar, not enough for most rooms.
So we get a varying water supply from a trickle to a surge. If we leave the
pump on continuously we use far too much electricity.

We have a lovely electric pump, 8 amp so plenty of power, and a header tank
4 metres above the pump.

Can I just change the water pump part - is that the impeller?

If I change it for a pump that can get up to 3.5 bar is that the same as a
pump that can give a 35m lift?

Thanks,

--
Mark BR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark BR" wrote in message
Can a plumber give me a simple answer to what I think is a simple
question?

I'm working with a building in Thailand to improve the water supply.
Currently we have a pump and pressure tank that can just get up to
2.5Kg/cm (2.5 bar). This pressure is just enough. Problem is when it
reaches pressure it switches off and only comes back at 1.7 bar, not
enough for most rooms. So we get a varying water supply from a trickle to
a surge. If we leave the pump on continuously we use far too much
electricity.

We have a lovely electric pump, 8 amp so plenty of power, and a header
tank 4 metres above the pump.

Can I just change the water pump part - is that the impeller?

See the makers, but I doubt it. Get a pump with a lower switching
differential. Also put a non return valve just before the pump. Between the
valve and pump install a potable pressure vessel. This will help prevent
pump cavitation and a more even water distribution. Some pumps come with
the vessel as a set. How is hot water supplied? Via a cylinder? Vented?
Unvented?

If you get anew pump use the old as a backup.

If I change it for a pump that can get up to 3.5 bar is that the same as a
pump that can give a 35m lift?

Yep. 1 bar = 10 metres

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark BR wrote:
Can a plumber give me a simple answer to what I think is a simple
question?
I'm working with a building in Thailand to improve the water supply.
Currently we have a pump and pressure tank that can just get up to
2.5Kg/cm (2.5 bar). This pressure is just enough. Problem is when it
reaches pressure it switches off and only comes back at 1.7 bar, not
enough for most rooms. So we get a varying water supply from a
trickle to a surge. If we leave the pump on continuously we use far
too much electricity.
We have a lovely electric pump, 8 amp so plenty of power, and a
header tank 4 metres above the pump.

Can I just change the water pump part - is that the impeller?

If I change it for a pump that can get up to 3.5 bar is that the same
as a pump that can give a 35m lift?

Machine Mart do a Clarke one that will give - 3.5-5.2 bar Maximum head
(lift height) 52M

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...el-booster-pum

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

Mark BR wrote:
[...]

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...-1in-stainless
-steel-booster-pum

I've never seen a Machine Mart depot in Bangkok

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark BR wrote:

Can a plumber give me a simple answer to what I think is a simple
question?
I'm working with a building in Thailand to improve the water supply.
Currently we have a pump and pressure tank that can just get up to
2.5Kg/cm (2.5 bar). This pressure is just enough. Problem is when it
reaches pressure it switches off and only comes back at 1.7 bar, not
enough for most rooms. So we get a varying water supply from a
trickle to a surge. If we leave the pump on continuously we use far
too much electricity.
We have a lovely electric pump, 8 amp so plenty of power, and a
header tank 4 metres above the pump.

Can I just change the water pump part - is that the impeller?

If I change it for a pump that can get up to 3.5 bar is that the same
as a pump that can give a 35m lift?

Thanks,

You say the pump switches off at 3.5bar - so this is probably a function of
the pressure switch rather than the pump per se. Maybe the pump itself is
capable of more than this. Can the pressure switch be adjusted or replaced.

Is there an accummulator in the system which can maintain pressure as the
water is drawn off?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

Mark BR wrote:
[...]

Don't UPS or Fed Ex or DHL deliver out there then? If the OP is posting on
a UK newsgroup one assumes he might be UK based.

Or, you could use a very long pipe.....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

Mark BR wrote:
[...]

believe it or not, you can buy pumps out there, although, it sounds more
like being primarily a sensor hysteresis problem to me

If the OP is posting on
a UK newsgroup one assumes he might be UK based.

he obviously know ukdiy is the FOAK

Or, you could use a very long pipe.....

it depends what you want to smoke

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Mark BR" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, a lower switching differential would work but most seem to be about
0.7 bar between on and off. As the maximum the pump can achieve is 2.5 bar,
and that is the minimum acceptable then any differential is too much - so we
do need to be able to pump more.

We do have a pressure vessel and a non-return valve. Improving these did
improve the system but not by much.

The cost of the pump is not much of a problem, locally we can get pumps
(motor and water pump part) with 30m lifts for around £50. But we can't
really afford to get one and find out it is the wrong one, so I'm trying to
get information.

Thanks for your comments

--
Mark BR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

Mark BR wrote:
Can a plumber give me a simple answer to what I think is a simple

SNIP

Machine Mart do a Clarke one that will give - 3.5-5.2 bar Maximum
head (lift height) 52M

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...-1in-stainless
-steel-booster-pum

I've never seen a Machine Mart depot in Bangkok

Don't UPS or Fed Ex or DHL deliver out there then? If the OP is
posting on a UK newsgroup one assumes he might be UK based.

Or, you could use a very long pipe.....

Like the long pipe, is the UK lower than Thailand?

Thanks for the comment, there is no problem getting pumps and fittings, just
the advice varies from poor to bad.

But you have confirmed that if I get a pump with a 35 m lift it will give me
3.5 bar. All the local pumps show the lift but do not talk about pressure
and come with no information except what is on the pump plate.

Thanks.

--
Mark BR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Mark BR wrote:

[...]

It is the pressure switch that turns the pump off, but the maximum the pump
can get the pressure to is 2.5 bar even if we left it switched on for a few
months!

We do have a pressure tank that keeps the pressure up for a few minutes, up
to 6 minutes but then it slowly drops.

Thanks for the comments
--
Mark BR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark BR" wrote in message
[...]

You could install a flow switch between the pressure vessel and the rest of
the plumbing, wired so when it detects flow, it turns the pump on (So in
parallel with the current pressure switch).

This way, the pump will always run when you are running water, and only turn
off when the pressure has reached the setting of the pressure switch and
there is no water flowing out of the pressure vessel.

I have this setup with my irrigation system setup, it seems to work well for
me!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sparks" wrote in message
"Mark BR" wrote in message
[...]

I was about to suggest that. You are right, a simple flow switch can solve
the problem and a little re-wiring around the pressure switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Sparks" wrote in message
"Mark BR" wrote in message
[...]

I had considered a flow switch but could only find information on little
laboratory systems - we have 1.25" PVC pipework. It would be easy to fit if
I can find one! I'll have to go to the shops on Wednesday - a 3 day holiday
out here for the new year!

--
Mark BR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark BR" wrote in message
"Sparks" wrote in message

You could install a flow switch between the pressure vessel and the
rest of the plumbing, wired so when it detects flow, it turns the
pump on (So in parallel with the current pressure switch).

This way, the pump will always run when you are running water, and
only turn off when the pressure has reached the setting of the
pressure switch and there is no water flowing out of the pressure
vessel. I have this setup with my irrigation system setup, it seems to
work
well for me!

I had considered a flow switch but could only find information on little
laboratory systems - we have 1.25" PVC pipework. It would be easy to fit
if I can find one! I'll have to go to the shops on Wednesday - a 3 day
holiday out here for the new year!

Crikey, that's HUGE! we use that sort of pipe for the waste out of the
bath!!

Why is it so big - is it supplying a lot of people/apartments?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sparks" wrote in message

"Mark BR" wrote in message
"Sparks" wrote in message

[...]

And a pump only costs £50.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Sparks" wrote in message

"Mark BR" wrote in message
"Sparks" wrote in message

[...]

Supplying 14 appartments.

Prices are reasonable - but then plumbers only get about £5 a day.

When in the UK I can not believe the prices. On example, flexible hoses 20p
each, screwfix £1.75. Who keeps this profit?

Thanks for all the advice, I now feel confident to go out again and sort the
problem.

--
Mark BR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark BR wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Sparks" wrote in message

"Mark BR" wrote in message
"Sparks" wrote in message

[...]

Homebase £6.99 if we are talking 15mm each end x 300mm long.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk