Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Cheap Tool Blues - Hinge Cutter

A few weeks ago I bought a cheap 35mm hinge cutter bit so that I could
install a couple of kitchen cupboard hinges. I only needed to do two. Of
course, I would never need to use it again.

Six hinges later I sincerely regret buying the cheapie. It has blunted.
The centre spike was ridiculously oversized and threatened to pierce the
other side of the door €“ a bit better after I had taken my Dremel to it.

So now I want to buy a halfway decent hinge cutter bit. Nothing fancy €“
but something that will last a few more hinges. Definitely tungsten
carbide this time.

So far, I have found:

Silverline (on eBay) from around £8-75 inc. p&p
CMT at Axminster around £30-00
Hinge Cutter TCT 35mm at Screwfix £10-99
Various Forstner bits (eBay and elsewhere)

Any advice? Recommendations?

--
Rod

onset.