Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Tool & Cutter grinder?

Looking at a tool local to me, have not seen it yet.

K. O. LEE BA960 Tool & Cutter Grinder

What is this tool good for, in a home shop - anything?

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Rex B wrote:
Looking at a tool local to me, have not seen it yet.

K. O. LEE BA960 Tool & Cutter Grinder

What is this tool good for, in a home shop - anything?

Sharpening end mills & milling cutters & reamers. End mills you can sharpen on
the ends only unless you have a special "air bar" attachment. Reamers you can
sharpen on the end only.

Do not consider this tool as a replacement for a surface grinder.

Do not consider purchasing this tool if it does not come with a boatload of
tooling including stuff like centers, indexing fingers, tool head.

If you decide to think about this tool, you will need about 4x6 feet of floor
space dedicated to it, and need 3phase power for it. Do not consider replacing
the 3phase motor with single phase.

Before you buy this tool look at clones to see what tooling you should be
getting, and also search ebay thoroughly to see how KO Lee T&C tooling is priced
lately.

This was once a nice tool & cutter grinder. What kind of shape it's in now, I
cannot say. T&C grinders are sweet, but floor models are not very space
efficient in a home shop.

There is a book that was once published by KO Lee on how to set up and use their
grinders including T&C grinders, best reference I've ever seen. Very hard to
find and pricey if you can find it. It is titled "Instruction Manual - A
Handbook For Use With K. O. Lee Universal Grinders And Tool And Cutter
Grinders". Many years ago they cost $6, now they can cost 30 times that.

Been there, done that.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Thanks for the ref, on the book. As you know I just picked up the light
weight clone on ebay. I took it apart cleaned all the ways, screws and other
items. Powered it up and it works nice, the coolant pump run good and I did
a quick test on an old end mill. I wil have to look to see what this "air
bar" is all about. I did a few lathe tools (not sure I will use this machine
for this) and it worked nice but time consuming for that.
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Rex B wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Doesn't sound like something I need

Thanks, grant.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Grant Erwin wrote:
Rex B wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

I have a Clarkson T&C grinder and it can do the sides of milling
cutters. As I understand it the air bearing "air bar" fixtures does a
better job by providing almost frictionless movement and so better feel
when regrinding the sides but isn't required to do so.

Rex B wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

You wouldn't have a picture of the holder you are using would you? I have a
collet spinner and a finger to locate the flute not sure if that will work
ok.

Rex B wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Rex B wrote:
[...]

KO Lee still sells that manual or something like it for $75 and I believe
that it is a photocopy, although one with pretty decent reproduction. For
less than $10 one should be able to find one of the old Norton T&C grinding
booklets on Ebay which has comparable info. John Stevenson in the UK also
sells a CD with several T&C grinder manuals on it and I think that he sells
on ebay as marypoppinsbag.

BTW, a T&C grinder can also be useful for grinding HSS lathe toolbits and a
Delta Univise can be handy for that. I've got a 1980's bench top universal
T&C grinder complete with air bearing fixture with 5C collets and a few
other accessories that is pretty decent and takes up much less room than the
stand alone T&C grinders without giving up much in work envelope. It's
similar to the Darex end mill grinders and I think that they actually sold a
version of the Enco T&C grinder at one time as did Chevalier. Gromax still
sells what looks like the Enco, but list price is around $3500, with a slew
of optional accessories at comparable prices.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lovilla Townsend

You wouldn't have a picture of the holder you are using would you? I have
collet spinner and a finger to locate the flute not sure if that will work
ok.

My Monoset T&C grinder just has the spinner and finger like you have. It
works just fine. The pros will want the air bearing - very smooth and much
faster.

There's a GREAT section on how to resharpen endmills on the Hanita End Mill
web site. Sorry, I'm travelling and don't have the exact link on this
computer.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

I haven't got a picture and haven't been able to find one on the web. It
does look rather like the air bearing one here
http://www.lathes.co.uk/clarkson/page3.html but the mounting block is
smaller. Basically the tool holding sleeve is a free sliding fit in the
mounting block to allow it to be moved along easily.

wayne mak wrote:

You wouldn't have a picture of the holder you are using would you? I have a
collet spinner and a finger to locate the flute not sure if that will work
ok.
k...

Rex B wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

General question: Can't the 5-C collet holding "spin indexer" be used for
sharpening the flutes of end mills?

Bob Swinney

Rex B wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default 5C indexer as cylindrical grinding fixture? (was, " Tool & Cuttergrinder?)

Robert Swinney wrote:

General question: Can't the 5-C collet holding "spin indexer" be used for
sharpening the flutes of end mills?

Yes, occasionally. Do much more than that and the grinding swarf will find its
way into the unshielded mechanism, and you will be buying a new indexer. A good
friend of mine, excellent machinist, had this happen to him so I know this is
true. Maybe it might be possible to modify an indexer with a plastic seal ring
or something to help keep grinding grit out, dunno.

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:42:14 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Rex B wrote:
[...]

Got a scanner??

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Robert Swinney wrote:

General question: Can't the 5-C collet holding "spin indexer" be used
for sharpening the flutes of end mills?

Yes, occasionally. Do much more than that and the grinding swarf will find
its way into the unshielded mechanism, and you will be buying a new
indexer. A good friend of mine, excellent machinist, had this happen to
him so I know this is true. Maybe it might be possible to modify an
indexer with a plastic seal ring or something to help keep grinding grit
out, dunno.

GWE

Thats what all those miscl o-rings we all have kicking around are
for..pull a plastic sandwich bag over the work, pull till it pops
through the plastic..and hold in place with an o ring

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3