Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap Tool Blues - Hinge Cutter

In article ,
Rod writes:
A few weeks ago I bought a cheap 35mm hinge cutter bit so that I could
install a couple of kitchen cupboard hinges. I only needed to do two. Of
course, I would never need to use it again.

Six hinges later I sincerely regret buying the cheapie. It has blunted.
The centre spike was ridiculously oversized and threatened to pierce the
other side of the door €“ a bit better after I had taken my Dremel to it.

So now I want to buy a halfway decent hinge cutter bit. Nothing fancy €“
but something that will last a few more hinges. Definitely tungsten
carbide this time.

So far, I have found:

Silverline (on eBay) from around £8-75 inc. p&p
CMT at Axminster around £30-00
Hinge Cutter TCT 35mm at Screwfix £10-99
Various Forstner bits (eBay and elsewhere)

Any advice? Recommendations?

I bought one from B&Q about 5 years ago. It was quite expensive
(around £25 IIRC) but seems to be a high quality one. I don't
have it here to look at so I can't tell you the make. It's
probably done 8 - 10 doors, without noticably going blunt. The
centre point is very small.

--
Andrew Gabriel