Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Cheap Tool Blues - Hinge Cutter

On 2008-04-12 22:51:04 +0100, Rod said:

A few weeks ago I bought a cheap 35mm hinge cutter bit so that I could
install a couple of kitchen cupboard hinges. I only needed to do two.
Of course, I would never need to use it again.

Six hinges later I sincerely regret buying the cheapie. It has blunted.
The centre spike was ridiculously oversized and threatened to pierce
the other side of the door €“ a bit better after I had taken my Dremel
to it.

So now I want to buy a halfway decent hinge cutter bit. Nothing fancy €“
but something that will last a few more hinges. Definitely tungsten
carbide this time.

So far, I have found:

Silverline (on eBay) from around £8-75 inc. p&p
CMT at Axminster around £30-00
Hinge Cutter TCT 35mm at Screwfix £10-99
Various Forstner bits (eBay and elsewhere)

Any advice? Recommendations?

The CMT one is OK and Trend has one as well. I have one of each in
different sizes.

These are specifically designed for the job and the locating spike will
not penetrate to the other side for standard door and hinge depth.
Forstner bits may be deper and have longer spikes.