Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED Deck lights

How does one compare the light output of an LED light to a normal bulb?

I'm looking at installing some recessed deck lights & TLC have them is 0.3w,
0.6w etc - which doesn't sound very bright to me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.. .
How does one compare the light output of an LED light to a normal bulb?

I'm looking at installing some recessed deck lights & TLC have them is
0.3w, 0.6w etc - which doesn't sound very bright to me.

Its not.. you could go to B&Q where they have them on display and look.

I have a ~1W led in a torch and it is OK but nowhere near as bright at a two
D cell maglite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
How does one compare the light output of an LED light to a normal bulb?

I'm looking at installing some recessed deck lights & TLC have them is 0.3w,
0.6w etc - which doesn't sound very bright to me.

You are considering power input. Look up the light output data measured
in candela or lumens.
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
How does one compare the light output of an LED light to a normal
bulb? I'm looking at installing some recessed deck lights & TLC have them
is 0.3w, 0.6w etc - which doesn't sound very bright to me.

You are considering power input. Look up the light output data
measured in candela or lumens.

Alas they only list the wattage - hence the question.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 22:32:38 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
How does one compare the light output of an LED light to a normal
bulb? I'm looking at installing some recessed deck lights & TLC have them
is 0.3w, 0.6w etc - which doesn't sound very bright to me.

You are considering power input. Look up the light output data
measured in candela or lumens.

Alas they only list the wattage - hence the question.

The results are very subjective. From each LED in the cluster the beam
is quite narrow, it gets scattered a bit in the plastic bezel, but
then in a multi LED array the LEDs are usually set to diverge from
each other.

They are very good at making glass ornaments sparkle in a display
case. Not much good at lighting up 8 metres of pathway at the side or
front of the house.

Poss OK for instance if used to mark out a "Flare Path" between 2 sets
of steps on a deck.

IOW they are OK if their intended function function is to be there
lit, they are not really man enough at this stage to illuminate
something else.

HTH

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Mar, 21:21, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
How does one compare the light output of an LED light to a normal bulb?

By comparing the light output - lumens is a common unit. Lumens give
the actual light output but don't take into account light spread. The
related measure of lux gives lumens/unit area.

Given the input, and bulb type, you can make a rough guess at the
lumens output. Incandescents are around 10-18 lumens/watt, Fluorescent
start at about 60 lumens/watt, but much higher for better quality
tubes. Older LEDS are 20-40 lumens/watt. Modern high-flux LEDS are
around 80 lumens/watt, and increasing monthly.

I'm looking at installing some recessed deck lights & TLC have them is 0.3w,
0.6w etc - which doesn't sound very bright to me.

No lumen outputs listed for those that I can see, but 0.5W is on the
low side. Even with a very good LEDs (e.g., a Seoul P4) this would be
only 30 lumens. TLC lights won't use such good LEDs though, s you
might get 10 lumens? For comparison, a 60W incandescent is about 700
lumens.

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 29, 9:21*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
How does one compare the light output of an LED light to a normal bulb?

I'm looking at installing some recessed deck lights & TLC have them is 0.3w,
0.6w etc - which doesn't sound very bright to me.

In my /humble/ opinion lighting up the garden with lots of bright
lights is very 'townie/groundforce/makeover' styleee, subtle lighting
is *far* better.

cheers,
Pete.