Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computer upgrade - Static (OT maybe)

On Mar 26, 11:17*pm, "Graham." wrote:
"TheOldFellow" wrote in message

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:51:07 GMT
"John" wrote:

Well it is DIY!

I have ordered some extra RAM and I know I need to keep in contact with
the
chassis of the PC to reduce static risks (although I don't have a wrist
strap). My specific question is - should I leave the PC plugged in so
that
it is grounded (switched off at the socket of course).?

You know, in nearly 40 years in the IT industry, I have never, ever,
seen a static-damaged DIMM. *The chances are very small that you will
have any trouble. *Just don't wear any nylons

They has DIMMs in 1967? ;-)
They did have 40 series C-MOS chips 20 years ago,

They were old hat by then (1988)!

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , John
writes
Well it is DIY!

I have ordered some extra RAM and I know I need to keep in contact
with the
chassis of the PC to reduce static risks (although I don't have a wrist
strap). My specific question is - should I leave the PC plugged in so
that
it is grounded (switched off at the socket of course).?

Sound exactly right to me. Make sure the mains switch is off and hold
the chassis when you need to handle the components or touch the
motherboard.

The wrist strap would connect to the PC chassis, the only difference
between that and you holding the chassis with the other hand is, if it
did happen to be live you would be protected. Common sense prevails.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I'll wear my shorts and put it on my knee.

That'll do nicely.

Just don't make me watch

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , John
writes
Well it is DIY!

I have ordered some extra RAM and I know I need to keep in contact with
the
chassis of the PC to reduce static risks (although I don't have a wrist
strap). My specific question is - should I leave the PC plugged in so
that
it is grounded (switched off at the socket of course).?

Sound exactly right to me. Make sure the mains switch is off and hold the
chassis when you need to handle the components or touch the motherboard.

The wrist strap would connect to the PC chassis, the only difference
between that and you holding the chassis with the other hand is, if it did
happen to be live you would be protected. Common sense prevails.

Done it successfully! Kept it plugged in (but turned off at socket) Kept in
contact with chassis.

Static shocks Vass[_4_] UK diy 15 February 20th 08 09:27 AM
trinitron tv static [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 May 14th 06 07:29 AM
Computer room static blowing server power supplies T Electronics Repair 25 April 8th 06 03:13 AM
static frankg Electronics Repair 1 January 18th 06 09:15 PM
Static convergence [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 September 19th 05 04:09 AM