Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Protecting endgrain

Hi,

I've just bought some wooden "trough" planters to go in the garden
(not very DIY, but sometimes life is too short) - see http://shortlinks.co.uk/j45
They're made of some sort of softwood which has been stained. They
have a short leg at each corner, the bottom of which will obviously be
in constant contact with the paving. This will presumably be the first
bit to eventually rot. So what's the best way to prolong their lives?
I was thinking of just putting a few generous coats of clear varnish
over the bottom of the legs. Any better ideas?

Cheers!

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Mar, 14:51, Martin Pentreath
wrote:

I've just bought some wooden "trough" planters to go in the garden
(not very DIY, but sometimes life is too short) - see http://shortlinks.co.uk/j45
They're made of some sort of softwood which has been stained. They
have a short leg at each corner, the bottom of which will obviously be
in constant contact with the paving. This will presumably be the first
bit to eventually rot. So what's the best way to prolong their lives?
I was thinking of just putting a few generous coats of clear varnish
over the bottom of the legs. Any better ideas?

OK, two-point plan: some preliminary research suggets candle wax
melted into the end grain might be the stuff to use, and it's occurred
to me that if I also put a couple of tacks or similar into the bottom
of each leg the troughs would stand slightly off the ground and not be
so prone to soaking up water (aka the blakey principle). What do the
panel think?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:

I've just bought some wooden "trough" planters to go in the garden
(not very DIY, but sometimes life is too short) - see http://shortlinks.co.uk/j45
They're made of some sort of softwood which has been stained. They
have a short leg at each corner, the bottom of which will obviously be
in constant contact with the paving. This will presumably be the first
bit to eventually rot. So what's the best way to prolong their lives?
I was thinking of just putting a few generous coats of clear varnish
over the bottom of the legs. Any better ideas?

Stand the feet in saucers (as deep as possible), and fill with wood
preservative; keep topping up until it stops soaking the stuff up. And
treat the whole planters with the same preserver too (obviously make
sure it's plant-friendly).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

A screw in each leg to keep them about 6mm off the ground would help. You
can buy an 'end grain preserver' in B&Q - I use it on cut ends when decking.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

In theory candle wax should be the perfect waterproofer. Nothing is more
hydrophobic, and in warm weather it softens and re-positions itself to
accommodate any movement in the wood. I suppose the downside is, like
all total seals, that it doesn't allow moisture to get out either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:
OK, two-point plan: some preliminary research suggets candle wax
melted into the end grain might be the stuff to use, and it's occurred
to me that if I also put a couple of tacks or similar into the bottom
of each leg the troughs would stand slightly off the ground and not be
so prone to soaking up water (aka the blakey principle). What do the
panel think?

Soak it in cuprinol for a few days. Just a jam jar lid, with the leg
standing in it - you don't want to kill the plants.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

used engine oil is apparently very good for deep soaking

'Seeing' torn endgrain TWW Woodturning 10 July 26th 07 09:19 PM
Is there an easier way to rough out interior endgrain? Arch Woodturning 23 July 11th 06 05:02 PM
Protecting Danish Oil Griffo UK diy 6 March 10th 06 11:08 AM
Is There An Endgrain In Particleboard? Tom Watson Woodworking 42 February 17th 05 03:27 AM
Endgrain turning help mp Woodturning 6 November 23rd 03 01:12 AM