Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning out a DHW heat exchanger?

My boiler is playing up again, so it looks like the heat exchanger will
have to come out tomorrow for its periodic clean up.
Last time I did it, there was a lot of 'blackness' on the internal walls
of the exchanger, but no readily seen build up of sludge/muck in it.
I gave it a blast through with a hose pipe, and it worked fine again
that time, but it has only been 4 months since I last did it.

So, the query - is there anything I can pur into the exchanger to give
it a good clean internally?
IIRC, it is an aluminium casting.
Thanks
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Mar, 19:29, (A.Lee) wrote:
My boiler is playing up again, so it looks like the heat exchanger will
have to come out tomorrow for its periodic clean up.
Last time I did it, there was a lot of 'blackness' on the internal walls
of the exchanger, but no readily seen build up of sludge/muck in it.
I gave it a blast through with a hose pipe, and it worked fine again
that time, but it has only been 4 months since I last did it.

So, the query - is there anything I can pur into the exchanger to give
it a good clean internally?
IIRC, it is an aluminium casting.

Mine was regularly clogging up until I flushed out the whole system
and put fresh inhibitor in, when did you last do that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:

On 10 Mar, 19:29, (A.Lee) wrote:
My boiler is playing up again, so it looks like the heat exchanger will
have to come out tomorrow for its periodic clean up.
Last time I did it, there was a lot of 'blackness' on the internal walls
of the exchanger, but no readily seen build up of sludge/muck in it.
I gave it a blast through with a hose pipe, and it worked fine again
that time, but it has only been 4 months since I last did it.

So, the query - is there anything I can pur into the exchanger to give
it a good clean internally?
IIRC, it is an aluminium casting.

Mine was regularly clogging up until I flushed out the whole system
and put fresh inhibitor in, when did you last do that?

Sorry, I should have made it more clear that it is the domestic hot
water that is playing up, not the radiators.
AFAIAA, they are totally separate - the problem with the DHW exchanger
is that it is so small, so easy to get blocked/gunged.
Ta
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:48:31 +0000, A.Lee wrote:

Martin Pentreath wrote:

On 10 Mar, 19:29, (A.Lee) wrote:
[...]

Since one half of the DHW heat exchanger contains primary circuit water
one half of the problems with it can stem from the primary circuit.

The other half are chalk in the DHW side.