Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drying out underfloor rubble - cat litter?

Ok - this might be a *really* stupid idea... Given my last problem (spilt
caustic soda), I now have a small patch of wetness under the floorboards
(about 6in x 6in). It's damp (water), not wet, but I'm mindful of the
neighbours below (this is an old 1900 Scottish tenement). There is loose
rubble & powdery/dust stuff (about 6in deep - I don't want to dig any
further in case I hit the neighbours ceiling!) . Just to ensure it doesn't
get any wetter (it's under the shower pipes which I've removed & replaced),
and maybe to dry it up, could I put cat litter in there? Mix it up with the
rubble? Daft idea? Or is there a proprietary product for this?

Cheers ... Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Ok - this might be a *really* stupid idea... Given my last problem (spilt
caustic soda), I now have a small patch of wetness under the floorboards
(about 6in x 6in). It's damp (water), not wet, but I'm mindful of the
neighbours below (this is an old 1900 Scottish tenement). There is loose
rubble & powdery/dust stuff (about 6in deep - I don't want to dig any
further in case I hit the neighbours ceiling!) . Just to ensure it doesn't
get any wetter (it's under the shower pipes which I've removed & replaced),
and maybe to dry it up, could I put cat litter in there? Mix it up with the
rubble? Daft idea? Or is there a proprietary product for this?

Cheers ... Mark

cat litter sounds good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Ok - this might be a *really* stupid idea... Given my last problem (spilt
caustic soda), I now have a small patch of wetness under the floorboards
(about 6in x 6in). It's damp (water), not wet, but I'm mindful of the
neighbours below (this is an old 1900 Scottish tenement). There is loose
rubble & powdery/dust stuff (about 6in deep - I don't want to dig any
further in case I hit the neighbours ceiling!) . Just to ensure it doesn't
get any wetter (it's under the shower pipes which I've removed & replaced),
and maybe to dry it up, could I put cat litter in there? Mix it up with the
rubble? Daft idea? Or is there a proprietary product for this?

If it's only damp, and there's no more water getting to the area, I'd
just leave it: it'll soon dry out by itself. If you can leave it
exposed (ie floorboard up) that would be good.

Not that kitty litter will do any harm - just wouldn't bother.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:40:46 GMT, Mark
wrote:

Ok - this might be a *really* stupid idea... Given my last problem (spilt
caustic soda), I now have a small patch of wetness under the floorboards
(about 6in x 6in). It's damp (water), not wet, but I'm mindful of the
neighbours below (this is an old 1900 Scottish tenement). There is loose
rubble & powdery/dust stuff (about 6in deep - I don't want to dig any
further in case I hit the neighbours ceiling!) . Just to ensure it doesn't
get any wetter (it's under the shower pipes which I've removed & replaced),
and maybe to dry it up, could I put cat litter in there? Mix it up with the
rubble? Daft idea? Or is there a proprietary product for this?

Cheers ... Mark

That stuff that turns to sawdust could be hoovered up after.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Cat Litter Box Health Concerns You Need To Know 88059355 Metalworking 0 January 19th 08 08:22 AM
OT. Rubble Sacks The Medway Handyman UK diy 18 January 10th 08 06:38 PM
Covering rubble Andrew Mawson UK diy 24 March 30th 06 09:06 AM
Kitty Litter Dessicant? DeepDiver Metalworking 5 June 9th 05 02:32 AM
OT. Uses for cat litter pails? larry in cinci Woodworking 12 March 31st 05 05:47 PM