Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pressure Washer

My dad's pressure washer has finally dies after 12 years, a Karcher.

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would live a
while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and patio etc

Thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Davis" wrote in message
My dad's pressure washer has finally dies after 12 years, a Karcher.

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would live a
while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and patio etc

Thanks in advance

Won't your dad now the difference if you bought another type? ;-)

Another Karcher otherwise it'll cost you well more for an industrial jobby.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jal jal is offline

In article ,
"George" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would live a
while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and patio etc

Won't your dad now the difference if you bought another type? ;-)

Another Karcher otherwise it'll cost you well more for an industrial jobby.

Aldi sell one around this time of year: around 75 quids. I bought one
last year --- it knocks the socks off my previous cheap job from B&Q
(which just conked out after about a year.

I'm pretty much sure that it's an "unbranded" Karcher: just have a look
at the two, and decide for yourself.

Mind - I don't use mine once a week, and I curse my neighbours who do:
yet another noise in the neighbourhood. I swear it takes one of my
neighbours an hour and more to clean his car, with his damn' PW buzzing
away incessantly, while I do my car in 10 minutes, with my rainwater,
shampoo and (above all) the magic car-wash brush.

Anyway: look at the Aldi one (or LIDL -- they're brothers apparently).
Not a Karcher, but *definitely* not crap.

hth
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 7, 3:20 pm, jal wrote:
Anyway: look at the Aldi one (or LIDL -- they're brothers apparently).

I think you are confusing two things:
1. Aldi and Lidl have very similar business models
- pile it high and sell it cheap (
- don't stock named brands
- only stock one brand of each commodity
- stock a wide range of different items *but not all at the same
time*
- sell from medium size, in town, shops
(oh, and they are both German)

2. Aldi was controlled by two brothers (they have since retired), and
is run as two companies (Aldi Nord/Aldi Markt and Aldi Süd) operating
in different areas. Fortunately, Britain gets Aldi Süd (a friend from
Hamburg says Aldi Nord is not as good).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jal" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would
live a
while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and patio etc

Won't your dad now the difference if you bought another type? ;-)

Another Karcher otherwise it'll cost you well more for an industrial
jobby.

Aldi sell one around this time of year: around 75 quids. I bought one
last year --- it knocks the socks off my previous cheap job from B&Q
(which just conked out after about a year.

I'm pretty much sure that it's an "unbranded" Karcher: just have a look
at the two, and decide for yourself.

It is usually Lavor that Lidl sell. I bought one a couple of years ago for
£90 with the following spec:
2550 Watt
160 Bar
530 L / Hr
10m hose
http://www.lavorwash.it/CategoryEn.aspx?CID=17

Certainly served me well except the hose splitting but Lavor sent a
replacement no questions answered.

To the OP have a look at this Power Washer FAQ
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/...washer_faq.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message

"jal" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" wrote:

[...]

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car? Can't it do more harm than good
(as well as being an extra bit of kit to get out).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message

"jal" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" wrote:

[...]

As long as you don't put the nozzle too close to the car it is fine. I like
it for under the wheel arches.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?

Yes,really gets that road **** off the wheel arches and anywhere else thats
impossible to get a rag.

Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

(as well as being an extra bit of kit to get out).

Lazyness is the next step to becoming a couch potatoe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jal wrote:
In article ,
"George" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would
live a while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and
patio etc

Won't your dad now the difference if you bought another type? ;-)

Another Karcher otherwise it'll cost you well more for an industrial
jobby.

Aldi sell one around this time of year: around 75 quids. I bought one
last year --- it knocks the socks off my previous cheap job from B&Q
(which just conked out after about a year.

I'm pretty much sure that it's an "unbranded" Karcher: just have a
look at the two, and decide for yourself.

Karcher don't brand for anyone else.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Davis wrote:
My dad's pressure washer has finally dies after 12 years, a Karcher.

Which model?

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would
live a while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and patio
etc

Karcher K3 series (induction motor) or above.

Kranzle are good & worth a look.

Nilfisk-Alto from Machine Mart - make sure it has an induction motor.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
jal wrote:
In article ,
"George" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would
live a while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and
patio etc

Won't your dad now the difference if you bought another type? ;-)

Another Karcher otherwise it'll cost you well more for an industrial
jobby.

Aldi sell one around this time of year: around 75 quids. I bought one
last year --- it knocks the socks off my previous cheap job from B&Q
(which just conked out after about a year.

I'm pretty much sure that it's an "unbranded" Karcher: just have a
look at the two, and decide for yourself.

Karcher don't brand for anyone else.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

They did for Aldi,otherwise Karcher would have had a law suit against Aldi
for instigating their brand was made by Karcher. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
jal wrote:
In article ,
"George" wrote:

[...]

They will badge for people, but always use the 'made by Karcher' ploy. They
don't make 'own label' for example. Their brand name in presure washers is
far greater than a retailers brand name.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?

Yes,really gets that road **** off the wheel arches and anywhere else
thats impossible to get a rag.

Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

(as well as being an extra bit of kit to get out).

Lazyness is the next step to becoming a couch potatoe

I like your last comment. A bucket (or several) of water and lightly applied
elbow grease is the best way to go as far as I'm concerned. No noise
pollution, no electrickery used and no paint lifted. Apply as needed -
suggested frequencies -once a month in winter and in summer no more frequent
than bi-monthly - though does depend upon your mileage!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Karcher don't brand for anyone else.

They did for Aldi,otherwise Karcher would have had a law suit against
Aldi for instigating their brand was made by Karcher. :-)

They will badge for people, but always use the 'made by Karcher' ploy. They
don't make 'own label' for example. Their brand name in presure washers is
far greater than a retailers brand name.

Karcher certainly used to make washers for Bosch with no indication they
were Karcher - apart from being identical to Karcher models.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"George" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?
Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Father-in-law took the coach stripes off his car by being over
enthusiastic with a pressure washer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
In article ,
"George" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?
Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Father-in-law took the coach stripes off his car by being over
enthusiastic with a pressure washer.

Quite. Strenuous and or frequent cleaning is not advised!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?
Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Father-in-law took the coach stripes off his car by being over
enthusiastic with a pressure washer.

Anything of a non sound adhesion will come off the car. :-)

You can actually cut your self with the jet of water from a jet washer.
Damn wish I could get the paint of the back of the house walls with the
power washer...someone just slapped it on and it looks bloody awful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Karcher don't brand for anyone else.

They did for Aldi,otherwise Karcher would have had a law suit
against Aldi for instigating their brand was made by Karcher. :-)

They will badge for people, but always use the 'made by Karcher'
ploy. They don't make 'own label' for example. Their brand name in
presure washers is far greater than a retailers brand name.

Karcher certainly used to make washers for Bosch with no indication
they were Karcher - apart from being identical to Karcher models.

More likely they both bought them re labelled from the same Italian or
Chinese source.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
In article ,
"George" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?
Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Father-in-law took the coach stripes off his car by being over
enthusiastic with a pressure washer.

Coach stripes aren't paint.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
m...

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?

Yes,really gets that road **** off the wheel arches and anywhere else
thats
impossible to get a rag.

Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Not an urban myth. Used wrongly these power washers can do serious damage.
My son has caused a lovely big dent in my bumper because the head was far
too close to the car.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
m...

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?

Yes,really gets that road **** off the wheel arches and anywhere else
thats
impossible to get a rag.

Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Not an urban myth. Used wrongly these power washers can do serious damage.
My son has caused a lovely big dent in my bumper because the head was far
too close to the car.

Steven.

Eh! Whats your bumper made of alluminium?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
m...

"mike" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?
Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Father-in-law took the coach stripes off his car by being over
enthusiastic with a pressure washer.

Anything of a non sound adhesion will come off the car. :-)

You can actually cut your self with the jet of water from a jet washer.

That's not surprising considering special jet washers are used to cut
masonry etc.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
m...

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?

Yes,really gets that road **** off the wheel arches and anywhere else
thats
impossible to get a rag.

Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Not an urban myth. Used wrongly these power washers can do serious
damage.
My son has caused a lovely big dent in my bumper because the head was far
too close to the car.

Steven.

Eh! Whats your bumper made of alluminium?

Plastic like most cars.
Its not so much a dent but rather a big gouge.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
"George" wrote in message
m...

"mike" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?
Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Father-in-law took the coach stripes off his car by being over
enthusiastic with a pressure washer.

Anything of a non sound adhesion will come off the car. :-)

You can actually cut your self with the jet of water from a jet
washer.

That's not surprising considering special jet washers are used to cut
masonry etc.

Yes, at 5000 bar they do.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Steven Campbell" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
m...

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?

Yes,really gets that road **** off the wheel arches and anywhere
else thats
impossible to get a rag.

Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Not an urban myth. Used wrongly these power washers can do serious
damage. My son has caused a lovely big dent in my bumper because the
head was far too close to the car.

Steven.

Eh! Whats your bumper made of alluminium?

I agree George, urban myth. I sold them for close on 25 years, spent most
of my time demonstrating them. I've sold Warwick, Karcher, KEW (now
Nilfisk Alto) WAP & Gerni. I must have washed thousands of vehicles.

Only one single incident of paint damage in that time - a Lada Riva that had
been hand painted.

Properly applied paint cannot be damaged by a pressure washer. If a
pressure washer removes loose or flakey paint it was going to come off
anyway.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Steven Campbell" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
m...

"John" wrote in message

[...]

Dave, you will know your job better than anyone but surely you would be
demonstrating how effective these machines can be not how destructive they
could be?
I'm sure the power output had dramatically increased in the 25 years you
sold them, when did you give it up?
The machine I bought from Lidl came with 2 lances.
One of them was in a cardboard sleeve with the warning that this lance was
not to be used on vehicles as it could do permanent damage and it had a
disclaimer etc.
I certainly wouldn't chance putting that nozzle half an inch from my car
when on full power after seeing the bumper incident. However used properly
these machines are great and I wouldn't be without one.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Davis" wrote in message
My dad's pressure washer has finally dies after 12 years, a Karcher.

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would live a
while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and patio etc

Thanks in advance

Dead, are you absolutely sure

Have you checked the start capacitor?

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car? Can't it do more harm than
good (as well as being an extra bit of kit to get out).

As long as you don't put the nozzle too close to the car it is fine. I
like it for under the wheel arches.

Steven.

Hmm

That depends how clean your water supply is

Have you ever seen the effects of aquablasting on aluminium.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?

Yes,really gets that road **** off the wheel arches and anywhere else thats
impossible to get a rag.

Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Not.

I have stripped paint with one.

Now I am not saying the paint was in good condition, but it was sure
nuff stripped.

The grit that is on the car is perfectly capable of mixing with the
water and giving a very nice liquid sandpaper sort of action.

(as well as being an extra bit of kit to get out).

Lazyness is the next step to becoming a couch potatoe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
George wrote:
"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?

Yes,really gets that road **** off the wheel arches and anywhere else
thats impossible to get a rag.

Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

(as well as being an extra bit of kit to get out).

Lazyness is the next step to becoming a couch potatoe

I like your last comment. A bucket (or several) of water and lightly applied
elbow grease is the best way to go as far as I'm concerned. No noise
pollution, no electrickery used and no paint lifted. Apply as needed -
suggested frequencies -once a month in winter and in summer no more frequent
than bi-monthly - though does depend upon your mileage!

I have not found it effective in removing **** from wheel arches and
lichen from around window frames. Or in panel lines. Here a pressure
washer used judiciously works far better.

Otherwise I agree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message

I agree George, urban myth. I sold them for close on 25 years,
spent most of my time demonstrating them. I've sold Warwick,
Karcher, KEW (now Nilfisk Alto) WAP & Gerni. I must have washed
thousands of vehicles. Only one single incident of paint damage in that
time - a Lada Riva
that had been hand painted.

Properly applied paint cannot be damaged by a pressure washer. If a
pressure washer removes loose or flakey paint it was going to come
off anyway.

Dave, you will know your job better than anyone but surely you would
be demonstrating how effective these machines can be not how
destructive they could be?

True enough, but we used to use a 'pencil' jet to cut marks in wooden
pallets to impress the punters. You wouldn't use that on a car mind you, a
fan jet is more appropriate.

I'm sure the power output had dramatically increased in the 25 years
you sold them, when did you give it up?

Two years ago prior to handymanning. The power output has actually
decreased since the DIY machines came out in the 1980's. They are little
more than toys compared to proper industrial units. e.g 100 bar @ 6
litres/min compared to say 200 bar @ 20 litres/min

The machine I bought from Lidl came with 2 lances.
One of them was in a cardboard sleeve with the warning that this
lance was not to be used on vehicles as it could do permanent damage
and it had a disclaimer etc.

The would be a rotating pencil jet. The sleeve is arse covering in the
main. I'd happily use one on wheel arches etc, but simply no point on
paintwork.

I certainly wouldn't chance putting that nozzle half an inch from my
car when on full power after seeing the bumper incident. However used
properly these machines are great and I wouldn't be without one.

Pressure washers on their own aren't much good for removing the road film
(traffic film) from vehicle paintwork. No ammount of pressure will shift
that, it needs a specific detergent - Traffic Film Remover (TFR). The film
has a strong bond to paintwork which needs to be broken by the chemical
action.

The pressure washer is simply a fast & convenient way to apply water &
chemical, rinse off & remove squashed flies & mud.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

"Simon Davis" wrote in message
My dad's pressure washer has finally dies after 12 years, a Karcher.

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would live
a while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and patio etc

Thanks in advance

Dead, are you absolutely sure

Have you checked the start capacitor?

No Dave I havent a clue what one is tbh. Thanks any info would be
appreciated

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I was thinking of water getting down window seals and into locks - more that
what the car is designed to cope with. Just seems a bit unnecessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Clot wrote:
George wrote:
"John" wrote in message

[...]

Wheel arches - a hose once a year. Plantlife - unless I go back to the days
of Minis where moss used to grow in the window tracks, had not been a
problem until recently.I bought my wife a new little toy car - the last of
the 206ccs - and we kept her previous 4 door as a pool car and particular
her use if transporting more than one passenger or elderlies about. It has
little use and recently begun developing a green tint. T'was the very devil
to remove! You've reminded me that I meant to remove the rear light clusters
to remove the residual bit. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Simon Davis" writes:
My dad's pressure washer has finally dies after 12 years, a Karcher.

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would live a
while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and patio etc

Mine is a cheap Woolworth's one, 8 years ago, under £50 IIRC.
It's a Deltajet Pro 1200, made by Lavorwash (made in Italy).
Hasn't given any trouble yet. Used for washing car, cycle, and
during drought years, for watering the front lawn (just edging
borders around the drive). It's always fed from the water butt
and I thought the sandy water would knacker it quickly which
is why I bought a cheap one, but it's survived OK so far.

Probably not a model which is still available, but just shows
you don't need to spend a fortune.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"John" writes:
Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car? Can't it do more harm than good
(as well as being an extra bit of kit to get out).

Fan the jet, or they can take the paint off. Apparently this is
worse with the modern water based paints which are now used on
cars.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:

"George" wrote in message
m...

"mike" wrote in message

In article ,
"George" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?
Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Father-in-law took the coach stripes off his car by being over
enthusiastic with a pressure washer.

Anything of a non sound adhesion will come off the car. :-)

You can actually cut your self with the jet of water from a jet washer.

That's not surprising considering special jet washers are used to cut
masonry etc.

I was always advised to give the hydraulic systems I worked on a wide
birth, (270 bar) as it could cut off a finger or arm, if you were that slow.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Steven Campbell wrote:

"George" wrote in message
. com...

"mike" wrote in message

In article ,
"George" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?
Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Father-in-law took the coach stripes off his car by being over
enthusiastic with a pressure washer.

Anything of a non sound adhesion will come off the car. :-)

You can actually cut your self with the jet of water from a jet
washer.

That's not surprising considering special jet washers are used to cut
masonry etc.

Yes, at 5000 bar they do.

Do B&Q sell them ;-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Davis" wrote in message
My dad's pressure washer has finally dies after 12 years, a Karcher.

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would

live
a while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and patio etc

Thanks in advance

Dead, are you absolutely sure

Have you checked the start capacitor?

No Dave I havent a clue what one is tbh. Thanks any info would be
appreciated

What happens when you try and turn it on, does it by any chance make a
buzzing noise?

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Steven Campbell wrote:

"George" wrote in message
m...

"mike" wrote in message

In article ,
"George" wrote:

"John" wrote in message

Is it worth using a Power Washer for a car?
Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

Father-in-law took the coach stripes off his car by being over
enthusiastic with a pressure washer.

Anything of a non sound adhesion will come off the car. :-)

You can actually cut your self with the jet of water from a jet
washer.

That's not surprising considering special jet washers are used to
cut masonry etc.

Yes, at 5000 bar they do.

Do B&Q sell them ;-)

Nice one! Try here if you want one for cleaning the patio
http://www.aqua-pressure-system.com/...ident_402.html

40,000 psi should shift the algae :-) Don't use it on the car though :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Pressure washer - no high pressure dean Home Repair 13 March 30th 09 06:55 PM
pressure washer TMC UK diy 1 April 14th 07 03:55 PM
Low Output Pressure on Generac Pressure Washer Arnie Goetchius Home Repair 6 June 7th 06 01:23 AM
Electric pressure washer looses pressure after 8 sec. lbbss Electronics Repair 4 August 14th 05 05:29 PM
Electric pressure washer looses pressure after 8 sec. [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 12th 05 07:55 PM