Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default GU10 50W halogen ceiling lights

These are very popular, and I have some myself around the house. I am about
to reburbish a bedroom and plan to install some more.

Up to now I have used 250V versions, but some electricians install 12V
transformed ones. What are the pros and cons ? And are there any viable
high-efficiency (e.g. led) lamps of similar size and light output available?

--
Regards,

Chris Skrimshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Feb, 14:37, "Chris Skrimshire" wrote:
These are very popular, and I have some myself around the house. I am about
to reburbish a bedroom and plan to install some more.

Up to now I have used 250V versions, but some electricians install 12V
transformed ones. What are the pros and cons ? And are there any viable
high-efficiency (e.g. led) lamps of similar size and light output available?

The 12v ones are called "MR16". The main plus point is that they have
a much longer life than the mains ones, I also think the light quality
is more "sparkly". The only problem is that you have to have a
transformer for them. However I still prefer the 12V ones.
You can get LED MR16's but the commonly available ones are not bright
enough for lighting things up - they are ok if you are going for
pretty effects eg step lighting or wall washing. If you spend a lot of
money and go to architectural lighting suppliers you can get LED
MR16's with a bit more poke, but they are too expensive for normal use
at the moment.
You can get compact fluorescent versions of the GU10 mains lamp, but
like all compact fluorescents the light quality is awful. The light
beam is very uncontrolled too.

--
Tim Mitchell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Feb, 14:37, "Chris Skrimshire" wrote:
These are very popular, and I have some myself around the house. I am about
to reburbish a bedroom and plan to install some more.

Up to now I have used 250V versions, but some electricians install 12V
transformed ones. What are the pros and cons ? And are there any viable
high-efficiency (e.g. led) lamps of similar size and light output available?

--
Regards,

Chris Skrimshire

Chris - the 12v ones have a significantly longer life in my
experience. It may be the heavier filament viz car headlight bulbs,
or more likely being electronic transformer driven, they are not
subject to a massive voltage shock on switch on - the electronics
bringing the filament up on some sort of voltage ramp.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Skrimshire wrote:

These are very popular, and I have some myself around the house. I am about
to reburbish a bedroom and plan to install some more.

Up to now I have used 250V versions, but some electricians install 12V
transformed ones. What are the pros and cons ? And are there any viable
high-efficiency (e.g. led) lamps of similar size and light output available?

LV wins every time:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...a ins_Halogen

--
Cheers,