Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default GU10 50W halogen ceiling lights

On 22 Feb, 14:37, "Chris Skrimshire" wrote:
These are very popular, and I have some myself around the house. I am about
to reburbish a bedroom and plan to install some more.

Up to now I have used 250V versions, but some electricians install 12V
transformed ones. What are the pros and cons ? And are there any viable
high-efficiency (e.g. led) lamps of similar size and light output available?

--
Regards,

Chris Skrimshire

Chris - the 12v ones have a significantly longer life in my
experience. It may be the heavier filament viz car headlight bulbs,
or more likely being electronic transformer driven, they are not
subject to a massive voltage shock on switch on - the electronics
bringing the filament up on some sort of voltage ramp.

Rob