Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low-voltage lighting question

I have some LV 50w halogen downlighters in my kitchen, fitted a couple of
years ago, each one with its own transformer. It's only recently dawned on
me what these were costing to run, and even after changing to 20w, I
wondered if there was anything I could substitute for these without a
complete re-installation.

Any ideas?

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 6:39 pm, "P & H Macguire"
wrote:
I have some LV 50w halogen downlighters in my kitchen, fitted a couple of
years ago, each one with its own transformer. It's only recently dawned on
me what these were costing to run, and even after changing to 20w, I
wondered if there was anything I could substitute for these without a
complete re-installation.

Any ideas?

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

Candles, oil lamps,flaming balls of pitch on sticks?

Sorry it isn`t Filament Bad , Fluro good, halogen lamps are up the
order of efficiency , by several orders from a typical 60W bulb,LV
halogen goes up a few points more.

Changing for 20W lamps will lower your energy use by 40% and your
available light by 40%. Kitchen is a place where potential for
accident is high, brighter is better.

Yup there is CCFL MR16 lamps around, they aren`t very efficient, lot
of the light is lost inside the fitting and they tend to be short
lived, with the embodied energy and toxic materials used in
manufacture, they aint `green`.

Lighting is rarely the most significant energy consumer in domestic
settings, looking at heating and insulation will bring faster payback
and be genuinely greener.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"P & H Macguire" wrote in message
I have some LV 50w halogen downlighters in my kitchen, fitted a couple of
years ago, each one with its own transformer. It's only recently dawned on
me what these were costing to run, and even after changing to 20w, I
wondered if there was anything I could substitute for these without a
complete re-installation.

Any ideas?

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Consu...VER/index.html

HTH

fads

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Feb 21, 6:39 pm, "P & H Macguire"
wrote:
I have some LV 50w halogen downlighters in my kitchen, fitted a couple of
years ago, each one with its own transformer. It's only recently dawned on
me what these were costing to run, and even after changing to 20w, I
wondered if there was anything I could substitute for these without a
complete re-installation.

Any ideas?

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

Candles, oil lamps,flaming balls of pitch on sticks?

Sorry it isn`t Filament Bad , Fluro good, halogen lamps are up the
order of efficiency , by several orders from a typical 60W bulb,LV
halogen goes up a few points more.

"Several orders"? They may be getting on for twice as efficient but
no more than that (that's comparing a low voltage halogen with a mains
non-halogen).

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 12:09 pm, wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Feb 21, 6:39 pm, "P & H Macguire"
wrote:
[...]

Twice as efficient is still not to be sniffed at, depends on the size
of your order ;-)
Should of course have said 40% of existing light level and 60% lower
than previous level
The IR reflective envelope halogens as linked to from Osram are
approaching 3 times that of a selected poor performing non halogen.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Aglionby writes:

Twice as efficient is still not to be sniffed at, depends on the size
of your order ;-)
Should of course have said 40% of existing light level and 60% lower
than previous level
The IR reflective envelope halogens as linked to from Osram are
approaching 3 times that of a selected poor performing non halogen.

IR reflective coatings give about 30% improvement in ideal
conditions over a non-IR reflective halogen. The nearest to
ideal conditions are the linear/tubular halogens where the
IR can be focused back onto the filament (when it's new,
before it sags). These work well in the 375W (replacing 500W)
and 225W (replacing 300W) lamps, when you can find them.
However, the effect wears off somewhat as the filament droops
and goes out of focus of the reflected IR. There's still a
benefit when the IR can't be focused back on the filament,
but it's not as much.

Another technique which more than one of the lamp manufacturers
is developing is the use of a patterned filament surface at IR
wavelengths which impedes the filament's ability to radiate IR.
If they can get that to work reliably, and for the lifetime of
the filament, it should give even better results.

--
Andrew Gabriel