Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Big masonry drill bits (not SDS)

I need to drill a couple of holes (cavity wall) from the loft gable
end to outside to pass cables through.

I decided it would be neater, easier and better to drill a 25mm hole,
slightly angled so it doesn't "rain in" and fit a piece a pvc tubing
(to prevent the cable chafing on the entry and exit) rather than drill
a number of small holes (one for each cable).

I have a set of long masonry bits that go up to 12mm so a can start
with those.

I thought it would be easy to find a long 25mm bit. It was. One such
beast is a Rawlplug 32-350 at 35mm x 300mm but I can't find any
website that specifies the shank diameter.

I could email/phone a supplier but I thought I'd just ask here on the
off chance one of you has such a drill and can tell me.

TIA

Barry
--
The easiest thing to grow in a garden is tired.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You need to move with the times and go to sds. I can't say I've seen
large diameter plain-shanked masonry bits for years.

There are multi-material bits (I use in my combi drill), but only up
to about 12mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
You need to move with the times and go to sds. I can't say I've seen
large diameter plain-shanked masonry bits for years.

There are multi-material bits (I use in my combi drill), but only up
to about 12mm

I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese 1 metre 25 mm SDS bit and a basic drill
for maybe £50 was cheaper than a "western" plain drill on its own

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese 1 metre 25 mm SDS bit and a basic drill
for maybe £50 was cheaper than a "western" plain drill on its own

I bought a screwfix 1m 25mm for £25 when they were doing them cheap -
fine in brickwork.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
ups.com
" wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese 1 metre 25 mm SDS bit and a basic drill
for maybe £50 was cheaper than a "western" plain drill on its own

I bought a screwfix 1m 25mm for £25 when they were doing them cheap -
fine in brickwork.

Plenty (non SDS) for less than £20 but they don't say what the shank
diameter is.
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=r...Products&hl=en

It's unlikely I'll need to drill more than a couple of holes so was
trying to keep the cost to a minimum.

I appreciate SDS would be better/faster but the time it takes me to
drill them isn't a big issue.

Barry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Barry Smith wrote:

Plenty (non SDS) for less than £20 but they don't say what the shank
diameter is.
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=r...Products&hl=en

Shank size will rarely be larger than 1/2" - since very few drills have
a chuck larger than 13mm.

It's unlikely I'll need to drill more than a couple of holes so was
trying to keep the cost to a minimum.

You can also get core bits from about 25mm...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
John Rumm wrote:

Barry Smith wrote:

Plenty (non SDS) for less than £20 but they don't say what the shank
diameter is.
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=r...Search+Product
s&hl=en

Shank size will rarely be larger than 1/2" - since very few drills have
a chuck larger than 13mm.

That's the info I was looking for. Thanks.

It's unlikely I'll need to drill more than a couple of holes so was
trying to keep the cost to a minimum.

You can also get core bits from about 25mm...

But unless I'm very much mistaken, they won't drill through a cavity
wall :-)

Barry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

....snip...

It's unlikely I'll need to drill more than a couple of holes so was
trying to keep the cost to a minimum.

I appreciate SDS would be better/faster but the time it takes me to
drill them isn't a big issue.

I hired an SDS and purchased an SDS bit from a local firm a few years ago.
Wasn't too expensive and the difference in time and effort was well worth
it. If you're drilling a core I believe you can hire those bits.

Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
" writes

I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese 1 metre 25 mm SDS bit and a basic drill
for maybe £50 was cheaper than a "western" plain drill on its own

I bought a screwfix 1m 25mm for £25 when they were doing them cheap -
fine in brickwork.

Umm... I did a series of 20mm Rawlbolt anchors in oldish concrete for
our pergola and damaged quite a nice Bosch 2 speed drill. The *hammer*
action will not now fully disengage and makes the drill useless for
drilling in steel.

I suspect the hammer cam has slid along the shaft:-(

My 20mm TC tipped drills are all 12mm shank.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:03:43 GMT, Barry Smith wrote:

snip
I thought it would be easy to find a long 25mm bit. It was. One such
beast is a Rawlplug 32-350 at 35mm x 300mm but I can't find any
website that specifies the shank diameter.

I have the screwfix 12338 20mm (£5.89) but they also do a 25mm 11968 (£8.49).
The shank on the 20mm is 1/2" (nearly 13mm).

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
" writes:
I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese 1 metre 25 mm SDS bit and a basic drill
for maybe £50 was cheaper than a "western" plain drill on its own

I bought a screwfix 1m 25mm for £25 when they were doing them cheap -
fine in brickwork.

CPC do a set of 3 (12,16,24mm) 1m long SDS bits which is often
on special offer for about £8. I've used them quite often
and they're still as good as new. Even if you don't want a long
hole, they can be handy just for reaching a higher location
without having to stand on something.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Barry Smith wrote:

You can also get core bits from about 25mm...

But unless I'm very much mistaken, they won't drill through a cavity
wall :-)

What gave you that idea?

I have drilled through a cavity wall many times with a core bit. If you
go for a 6" long core then it is already engaged on the second leaf long
before it has emerged from the first. Alternatively you drill a 8mm
pilot right through and then drill the core from both sides.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
" writes:
I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese 1 metre 25 mm SDS bit and a basic drill
for maybe £50 was cheaper than a "western" plain drill on its own

I bought a screwfix 1m 25mm for £25 when they were doing them cheap -
fine in brickwork.

CPC do a set of 3 (12,16,24mm) 1m long SDS bits which is often
on special offer for about £8. I've used them quite often
and they're still as good as new. Even if you don't want a long
hole, they can be handy just for reaching a higher location
without having to stand on something.

Handy for drilling behind skirtings or architraves as well since they
will flex enough to allow you to get a parallel hole even though the
drill must be by necessity slightly offset.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
John Rumm wrote:

Barry Smith wrote:

You can also get core bits from about 25mm...

But unless I'm very much mistaken, they won't drill through a cavity
wall :-)

What gave you that idea?

I thought the length of a core bit was approximately the same as its
diameter. I will Google for longer core bits.

I have drilled through a cavity wall many times with a core bit. If you
go for a 6" long core then it is already engaged on the second leaf long
before it has emerged from the first. Alternatively you drill a 8mm
pilot right through and then drill the core from both sides.

I'd prefer to drill fully from inside as the outside is approx 20ft
off the ground. I'll be taking it gently so as to (try and) create a
"clean" hole where it exits.

I've seen a 24mm x 1m SDS bit at a local (farmers) market for £5.
I'm guessing it will be ok for a small number of holes. I know it's
long, but drilling a 12mm pilot should guide it.

That being the case I'm now seriously considering buying a drill.
My existing hammer drill, a Bosch CSB 450-2E must be 20 years old? and
has never missed a beat.

I'm tempted by the Bosch GBH 2-23 DRE.

Barry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
"Paul D.Smith" wrote:

...snip...

It's unlikely I'll need to drill more than a couple of holes so was
trying to keep the cost to a minimum.

I appreciate SDS would be better/faster but the time it takes me to
drill them isn't a big issue.

I hired an SDS and purchased an SDS bit from a local firm a few years ago.
Wasn't too expensive and the difference in time and effort was well worth
it. If you're drilling a core I believe you can hire those bits.

See other post. I'm now considering buying a Bosch SDS drill. If it
lasts as long as my current Bosch hammer drill it will probably
outlive me!

Barry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Geo wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:03:43 GMT, Barry Smith
wrote:

snip
I thought it would be easy to find a long 25mm bit. It was. One such
beast is a Rawlplug 32-350 at 35mm x 300mm but I can't find any
website that specifies the shank diameter.

I have the screwfix 12338 20mm (£5.89) but they also do a 25mm 11968 (£8.49).
The shank on the 20mm is 1/2" (nearly 13mm).

Thanks for the info.

Barry