Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiles for a shop floor?

I've been asked to supply some floor tiles for a small Post Office. They
wanted 600mm square vinyl tiles, but the prices of those seem
extortionate, so I'm going to suggest ceramic floor tiles instead.

Firstly, are there any regs. about fitting such flooring in a shop?

And secondly, I'm not too sure about their grip when wet. The last thing
the owner wants is an 80yo sliding over as the floor is wet.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Firstly, are there any regs. about fitting such flooring in a shop?

I hope someone who knows will come along soon. I don't know. What I do
recall (from reviewing spending on public areas in a past job) is that
decisions on flooring need to take account not just of health and safety
(eg slipping, such as you mention) but also the DDA (eg is there a clear
and safe transition at the entrance for wheel chair users,
blind/partially sighted). I would have expected the Post Office and/or
the National Federation of SubPostmasters to have requirements/guidance
on this.

In the meantime dare I suggest that you jump on the risk-avoidance
bandwagon and wait to see if your client faints at the price?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

neverwas wrote:

Firstly, are there any regs. about fitting such flooring in a shop?

I hope someone who knows will come along soon. I don't know. What I do
recall (from reviewing spending on public areas in a past job) is that
decisions on flooring need to take account not just of health and safety
(eg slipping, such as you mention) but also the DDA (eg is there a clear
and safe transition at the entrance for wheel chair users,
blind/partially sighted). I would have expected the Post Office and/or
the National Federation of SubPostmasters to have requirements/guidance
on this.

In the meantime dare I suggest that you jump on the risk-avoidance
bandwagon and wait to see if your client faints at the price?

I'm not too keen on doing it really. They seem a little picky ("I want
large vinyl tiles on there"), and I imagine they will be watching me all
the time, as well as there being loads of stuff to shift in the shop,
and doing it over a weekend.
On the other hand, I'm short of work, so cannot really turn down much.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
I've been asked to supply some floor tiles for a small Post Office.
They wanted 600mm square vinyl tiles, but the prices of those seem
extortionate, so I'm going to suggest ceramic floor tiles instead.

If they want expensive vinyl tiles, why not let them have them?

Firstly, are there any regs. about fitting such flooring in a shop?

the shop owners have a legal duty to minimize risks to the public, IE, if
they fit slippery tiles, they'll need signs warning the public, and/or
rubber mats for them to walk on....or risk being sued regularly.

And secondly, I'm not too sure about their grip when wet. The last
thing the owner wants is an 80yo sliding over as the floor is wet.

the risk of slipping cannot be eradicated completely because when it rains,
customers tread water in and the floor becomes wet near the entrance.
If it were me, I'd just tell the owners to pick out tiles, purchase them,
and it's £XXX for fitting, regrdless of type

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
I've been asked to supply some floor tiles for a small Post Office. They
wanted 600mm square vinyl tiles, but the prices of those seem
extortionate, so I'm going to suggest ceramic floor tiles instead.

Firstly, are there any regs. about fitting such flooring in a shop?

And secondly, I'm not too sure about their grip when wet. The last thing
the owner wants is an 80yo sliding over as the floor is wet.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Alan.

Not good. They wear quickly and slip.

Suggest natural stone, or heuga carpet tiles.

Linoleum - the real sort - not crappy vinyl. or industrial grade butyl
flooring also good. None are cheap.