Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Tiles for a shop floor?

A.Lee wrote:
I've been asked to supply some floor tiles for a small Post Office.
They wanted 600mm square vinyl tiles, but the prices of those seem
extortionate, so I'm going to suggest ceramic floor tiles instead.

If they want expensive vinyl tiles, why not let them have them?

Firstly, are there any regs. about fitting such flooring in a shop?

the shop owners have a legal duty to minimize risks to the public, IE, if
they fit slippery tiles, they'll need signs warning the public, and/or
rubber mats for them to walk on....or risk being sued regularly.

And secondly, I'm not too sure about their grip when wet. The last
thing the owner wants is an 80yo sliding over as the floor is wet.

the risk of slipping cannot be eradicated completely because when it rains,
customers tread water in and the floor becomes wet near the entrance.
If it were me, I'd just tell the owners to pick out tiles, purchase them,
and it's £XXX for fitting, regrdless of type