Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting / plumbing a ceiling-mounted shower

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction before I go
ahead and do what 'seems' best..

I'm refitting the existing shower-room which has a wall mounted water
valve with a hose-outlet to a handheld shower head.

I've got a Hansgrohe ceiling-mounted showerhead that uses a 100mm
vertical pipe with a 1/2" male threaded fitting. I'd like to use this
and intend to replace the shower valve, taking the outlet up to the
roof joists, to exit from the ceiling.

The fitting kit and instructions for the ceiling-mounted unit show
screwing the 1/2" fitting to pipework emerging from the ceiling. A
wall-fitting kit is also provided but this obscures most of the
threaded connection so isn't of much benefit.

I've been unable to find any ceiling-specific fitting kit for it, and
have been unable to find much detail on the plumbing detail of ceiling-
mounted heads. I was wondering about using a steel plate with a pipe
welded through it, tapping it at one end to take a feed from my shower
valve pipework and tapping it at the othersuch that I can pop it
through the ceiling and screw the showerhead pipe onto it. This would
give me a water feed AND take the weight of the showerhead, which is
quite heavy as it's large and well-made.

Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone know of any kits to achieve
this, or do I continue down the DIY route?

Many thanks in advance for any help,
Darren
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Darren1971 wrote:

[...]

It all sounds a bit over complex...

I would have thought sticking a wood batten between a couple of joists,
and arranging the pipe to run horizontally to the batten, and then use
an elbow to pop down through a hole in the batten. The end of the pipe
fitted with suitable fitting to take the shower pipe at about finished
ceiling level, and screwed to the underside of the batten.

Have a look at the way John has provided a mounting for a bar mixer
shower in a stud wall toward the end of this article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...er_Mixer_Valve

Imaging something like:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ve_stud_04.jpg

but mounted in a ceiling with a single pipe from your mixer valve.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jan, 15:01, John Rumm wrote:

It all sounds a bit over complex...

I would have thought sticking a wood batten between a couple of joists,
and arranging the pipe to run horizontally to the batten, and then use
an elbow to pop down through a hole in the batten. The end of the pipe
fitted with suitable fitting to take the shower pipe at about finished
ceiling level, and screwed to the underside of the batten.

Have a look at the way John has provided a mounting for a bar mixer
shower in a stud wall toward the end of this article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Bar-type_Showe...

Imaging something like:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...wer_valve_stud...

but mounted in a ceiling with a single pipe from your mixer valve.

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

That's superb. Just what I was after. I'm all for keeping it simple! I
think that's why my original idea troubled me.

Thanks a million John, much appreciated..

Darren
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jan, 15:01, John Rumm wrote:

It all sounds a bit over complex...

I would have thought sticking a wood batten between a couple of joists,
and arranging the pipe to run horizontally to the batten, and then use
an elbow to pop down through a hole in the batten. The end of the pipe
fitted with suitable fitting to take the shower pipe at about finished
ceiling level, and screwed to the underside of the batten.

I agree - this is pretty much exactly what I did with a Hans Grohe
raindance shower head in our shower room, except the batten went over
the top of the (attic) joists, on which the feed pipe was clipped,
then it went down via an elbow and into a straight tap connector
fitting (this made it easier to get the tap connector at exactly the
right level compared to the ceiling. The showerhead's chrome ceiling
pipe then just screwed into the tap connector, with the (supplied)
chrome ring hiding the joint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jan, 15:12, wrote:

I agree - this is pretty much exactly what I did with a Hans Grohe
raindance shower head in our shower room, except the batten went over
the top of the (attic) joists, on which the feed pipe was clipped,
then it went down via an elbow and into a straight tap connector
fitting (this made it easier to get the tap connector at exactly the
right level compared to the ceiling. *The showerhead's chrome ceiling
pipe then just screwed into the tap connector, with the (supplied)
chrome ring hiding the joint.

Brilliant - that sounds identical to what I have and need to do.
Thanks very much

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Darren1971 wrote:
On 11 Jan, 15:12, wrote:

I agree - this is pretty much exactly what I did with a Hans Grohe
raindance shower head in our shower room, except the batten went over
the top of the (attic) joists, on which the feed pipe was clipped,
then it went down via an elbow and into a straight tap connector
fitting (this made it easier to get the tap connector at exactly the
right level compared to the ceiling. The showerhead's chrome ceiling
pipe then just screwed into the tap connector, with the (supplied)
chrome ring hiding the joint.

Brilliant - that sounds identical to what I have and need to do.
Thanks very much

Great showers!

I forgot to add the one hard-won bit of wisdom - use an end-joint solder
tap connector, and solder fittings on everything vertical above the
pipe. I did the latter, but not the former, at least at first, and when
loaded with ptfe the friction in the showerhead/tap connector joint was
greater than in the compression fitting tap connector, so rather than
tightening up the bsp joint, the compression joint twirled around the pipe.

If you have a spare body to lie in the attic, you could get away with it/