Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine - white streaks

Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've touched a
washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb in a new
one, ...

SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some washed
items

What is it ?

Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty for a
cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't thought of ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've touched a
washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb in a new one,

SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some washed
items

What is it ?

Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty for a
cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't thought of ?

You are going to hate me for asking but...
....is the drum actually rotating?
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've touched a
washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb in a new
one, ...

SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some washed
items

What is it ?

Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty for a
cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't thought of ?

give the soap dispenser a good clean and then change over to a liguid
detergent for a while. I have also seen suggestions that a max temp long
duration wash helps flush out nasties once in a while.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've touched a
washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb in a new one,

SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some washed
items

What is it ?

Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty for a
cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't thought of ?

You are going to hate me for asking but...
...is the drum actually rotating?

Yes, it's doing what it should

it's just leaving white streaks on some garments, which I presume is
detergent carrier or something (or calgon crap)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
geoff wrote:
Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've
touched a washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb
in a new one, ...
SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some
washed items
What is it ?
Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty
for a cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't
thought of ?

give the soap dispenser a good clean

done that today

and then change over to a liguid detergent for a while.

will do

I have also seen suggestions that a max temp long duration wash helps
flush out nasties once in a while.

just finished an empty, high temp max cycle

Bob

cheers

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've touched
a washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb in a new
one, ...

SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some
washed items

What is it ?

Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty for
a cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't thought
of ?

Mobile phone residue :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes

Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've touched a
washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb in a new
one, ...

SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some washed
items

What is it ?

Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty for a
cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't thought of ?

what does it smell of?
what texture?
Are the items with the streaks washed at a lower temperature?
Are the dispensers gungy?

It's probably undissolved powder so running it through with some
pre-mixed washing solution & washing soda at max temperature on Cotton
wash should fix it. & yes, clean out the dispensers if necessary.

Is it failing to heat the water sufficiently in the cold weather
perhaps?

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

geoff wrote:

Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've touched
a washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb in a new
one, ...

SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some
washed items

What is it ?

Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty for
a cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't thought
of ?

Mobile phone residue :-)

I missed that one :-(

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:

geoff wrote:

Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've touched
a washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb in a new
one, ...

SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some
washed items

What is it ?

Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty for
a cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't thought
of ?

Mobile phone residue :-)

I missed that one :-(

I wondered who was going to be the first with that reply after I sent it

of course, that happened 10 years ago - sympathetic delayed reaction ?

10 years ago in a different machine
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Si
$3o&m writes
In message , geoff
writes

[...]

Done the above (not with washing soda) so we'll see how the next wash
goes

cheers everyone

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's probably undissolved powder so running it through with some
pre-mixed washing solution & washing soda at max temperature on Cotton
wash should fix it. & yes, clean out the dispensers if necessary.

We have similar problems especially since starting to use low temp
washes. The other thing to look at is inside the seal, we regularly
have to clean this out, peeling it right back to wipe the edge of the
drum.
A regular boil wash really helps as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.willitblend.com/videos.as...e&video=iphone

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Being a bit hard of thinking ATM, and the only two times I've touched a
washing machine in 20 years was to change bearings or plumb in a new one,

SWMBO is telling me that there are white powdery streaks on some washed
items

What is it ?

Should cleaning out the detergent dispensers and running it empty for a
cycle clear it out, or is there something deeper I haven't thought of ?

--
geoff

She is overloading it and not reading the instructions! The temperature
setting is wrong so the powder isn't dissolving properly. Use the liquid
instead.