Posted to cam.misc, uk.d-i-y

Default Advice sought on replacing a central heating timer

Hello and Happy New Year!

Just before the Festive Season we had a power cut and our Honeywell
ST699 central heating timer reset itself. I imagine there is an old
NiCad battery in there which has popped its clogs. I am thinking that
this would be a good time to replace this 24 hour timer with a 7 day
timer.

I would love to hear about peoples' experiences changing their timers.
What timers are good? Did you fit it yourself? Was it a nightmare or
was it quite easy? Is there someone you would recommend we get to come
and do this for us? (We live in Soham - that is between Ely and
Newmarket, East Cambs).

Many thanks,

Ben.
Posted to cam.misc, uk.d-i-y

We've got a programmable thermostat that combines timer and stat. We
can set different temperatures at different times.
There's a number on the market. Ours is battery opperated which
reminds me, it's due for a change.

John
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
Hello and Happy New Year!

Just before the Festive Season we had a power cut and our Honeywell
ST699 central heating timer reset itself. I imagine there is an old
NiCad battery in there which has popped its clogs. I am thinking that
this would be a good time to replace this 24 hour timer with a 7 day
timer.

I would love to hear about peoples' experiences changing their timers.
What timers are good? Did you fit it yourself? Was it a nightmare or
was it quite easy? Is there someone you would recommend we get to come
and do this for us? (We live in Soham - that is between Ely and
Newmarket, East Cambs).

Unless you really want to replace it I'd fit a new battery and spend the
money on a programmable thermostat.

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to cam.misc, uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 12:05, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Hello and Happy New Year!
Just before the Festive Season we had a power cut and our Honeywell
ST699 central heating timer reset itself. I imagine there is an old
NiCad battery in there which has popped its clogs. I am thinking that
this would be a good time to replace this 24 hour timer with a 7 day
timer.

Unless you really want to replace it I'd fit a new battery and spend the
money on a programmable thermostat.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. It sounds like it might be a bit too
sophisticated for our requirements, though. I'll bear it in mind for
the future. At the moment, I'm looking to get something done for the
short term in case of the combined effects of a power cut, a cold snap
and us being out - so our pipes don't freeze and burst.
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello and Happy New Year!
Just before the Festive Season we had a power cut and our Honeywell
ST699 central heating timer reset itself. I imagine there is an old
NiCad battery in there which has popped its clogs. I am thinking that
this would be a good time to replace this 24 hour timer with a 7 day
timer.

Unless you really want to replace it I'd fit a new battery and spend the
money on a programmable thermostat.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. It sounds like it might be a bit too
sophisticated for our requirements, though. I'll bear it in mind for
the future. At the moment, I'm looking to get something done for the
short term in case of the combined effects of a power cut, a cold snap
and us being out - so our pipes don't freeze and burst.

In which case label all the wires before you start & it's easy. So are
programmable thermostats though & they're only £25
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40819/...oom-Thermostat
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/98300/...nic-Programmer

Posted to cam.misc, uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello and Happy New Year!
Just before the Festive Season we had a power cut and our Honeywell
ST699 central heating timer reset itself. I imagine there is an old
NiCad battery in there which has popped its clogs. I am thinking that
this would be a good time to replace this 24 hour timer with a 7 day
timer.

Unless you really want to replace it I'd fit a new battery and spend the
money on a programmable thermostat.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. It sounds like it might be a bit too
sophisticated for our requirements, though. I'll bear it in mind for
the future. At the moment, I'm looking to get something done for the
short term in case of the combined effects of a power cut, a cold snap
and us being out - so our pipes don't freeze and burst.

In which case label all the wires before you start & it's easy. So are
programmable thermostats though & they're only £25http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40819/Plumbing/Central-Heating-Controls...http://www.screwfix.com/prods/98300/...ating-Controls...

I have actually just summoned up the courage to flip off the top of
the unit. It looks like the battery is a doddle to change. It appears
that the 3/V150H Ni-MH VARTA Mempac Range battery from the following
website will do the job...

http://www.oddballbattery.co.uk/acat...Batteries.html

...so perhaps, out of laziness, I'll just settle with the new battery
for the moment...

...only trouble is - when I click the 'add to cart' button on the page
I get a blank page in return. Is this a Firefox incompatibility - or
is this supplier defunct? I'll try ringing them on Monday - unless
anyone knows of anywhere in the Ely, Newmarket, Cambridge area where I
could pick up one this afternoon?
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Gees on Mill Road is worth a try.
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:

Hello and Happy New Year!
Just before the Festive Season we had a power cut and our Honeywell
ST699 central heating timer reset itself. I imagine there is an old
NiCad battery in there which has popped its clogs. I am thinking that
this would be a good time to replace this 24 hour timer with a 7 day
timer.

Unless you really want to replace it I'd fit a new battery and spend
the money on a programmable thermostat.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. It sounds like it might be a bit too
sophisticated for our requirements, though.

Not really - the two work very well together. The ability to set different
temperatures for parts of each day and except the weekend if needed are a
big energy saver. And the timeswitch will still switch things on and off
totally if that's what's required.

I'll bear it in mind for
the future. At the moment, I'm looking to get something done for the
short term in case of the combined effects of a power cut, a cold snap
and us being out - so our pipes don't freeze and burst.

The battery failing shouldn't stop the thing working - it's only a backup
for when the mains fails.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I use Firefox - but also have IE installed for just such
eventualities. There are many times when such sites (online
purchasing) will not work with Firefox but are fine with IE.

Posted to cam.misc, uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I've just bought one from CELL PACK SOLUTIONS LTD (capitals courtesy
of cut and paste) whose web site is Firefox friendly.

Mr Gee told me over the phone that he had the batteries with posts
attached for soldering into PCBs. I need one with no posts. It slots
into a holder on the PCB. I would have definitely got one from Gee's
if he'd had the right type. Looking at Maplin's web site , they only
do the batteries with posts, too.

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hello and Happy New Year!

Just before the Festive Season we had a power cut and our Honeywell
ST699 central heating timer reset itself. I imagine there is an old
NiCad battery in there which has popped its clogs. I am thinking that
this would be a good time to replace this 24 hour timer with a 7 day
timer.

I would love to hear about peoples' experiences changing their timers.
What timers are good? Did you fit it yourself? Was it a nightmare or
was it quite easy? Is there someone you would recommend we get to come
and do this for us? (We live in Soham - that is between Ely and
Newmarket, East Cambs).

Many thanks,

Ben.

The Honeywell ST699 is just a simple 24 hour timer with one or two on/off
periods a day. I believe it's still available for around £50 if the problem
is not the battery.

Will your system allow you to have the heating on without hot water?

There are better timeclocks around that allow more on/off cycles a day or
different times for different days of the week (eg 5/2 or 7 day). Possible
examples:

Honeywell ST9400C... £51

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/home...ls.htm#ST9400A
"The ST9400C is a 7 day two channel programmer designed for individual
control of both hot water and heating and feature the LoTT display, it also
offers up to three "on" periods per day. Additionally each day may be
programmed differently. This programmer may also be configured as a Mini
Programmer for older gravity - circulation stored hot water systems."

Danfoss FP715Si..... £40

http://danfoss-randall.co.uk/xxTypex...79_SIT313.html

The FP715 Si two-channel full programmer has separate Heating and Hot Water
outputs operating on completely independent time bases for maximum
flexibility. The FP715 Si can be configured by the installer at time of
installation to provide 7 day, 24 hour, or 5 day/2 day operation and to
provide either 2 ON/OFF's or 3 ON/OFF's per day, allowing the time control
to be tailored to match the specific requirement of the consumer.

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Unless you really want to replace it I'd fit a new battery and spend
the money on a programmable thermostat.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. It sounds like it might be a bit too
sophisticated for our requirements, though. I'll bear it in mind for
the future. At the moment, I'm looking to get something done for the
short term in case of the combined effects of a power cut, a cold snap
and us being out - so our pipes don't freeze and burst.

In that case, a programmable room stat would do some of that nicely. (Just
swap it for the current analog stat). As far as the main timer is concerned,
the CH is on constantly - with the actual timing being done by the
programmable stat. Typically these allow you to specify 6 temperature
changes per 24-hour period which - if you wish - can effectively be three
on/off periods. When you want the heating on, you specify the required room
temperature (which can be different at different times of the day if you
wish). When you want it off, you specify a temperature (say 5 degC) which
is low enough that the house will not normally fall to it between heating
periods. However, if the temperature *does* fall that low, the heating will
come on to prevent everything freezing up.

Some programmable stats have other gizzmos such as:
* Optimum start. You specify the time by which you want the house to be
warm, and the stat works out when to turn the heating on.
* Party mode. Allows you to override the settings for a specified number of
hours in order to, for example, keep the house warm longer when you're
having a party. Can also be used for saving energy by lowering the
temperature for a few hours when you go out shopping etc.
* Holiday mode. Turns the heating off for a specified number of days (mine
does up to 99) and then returns to the normal programme. Useful if you want
to come home to a warm house without leaving the heat on all the time when
you're away. Also acts as a frost stat while you're away, and will turn on
the heating to prevent freezing if necessary.

A programmable stat won't help in the event of a power cut of course -
except that its timer will be battery operated, so will continue to tell the
correct time. Are you considering a generator to power the CH's electrics?
That's quite do-able when you're there to plug it in and start it up - but
starts to get complicated (and expensive!) if you want it to be fully
automatic.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article
,
wrote:
Hello and Happy New Year!

Just before the Festive Season we had a power cut and our Honeywell
ST699 central heating timer reset itself. I imagine there is an old
NiCad battery in there which has popped its clogs. I am thinking that
this would be a good time to replace this 24 hour timer with a 7 day
timer.

I would love to hear about peoples' experiences changing their timers.
What timers are good? Did you fit it yourself? Was it a nightmare or
was it quite easy? Is there someone you would recommend we get to come
and do this for us? (We live in Soham - that is between Ely and
Newmarket, East Cambs).

Unless you really want to replace it I'd fit a new battery

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...sp?sku=BT00152

chop the legs off

and spend the
money on a programmable thermostat.

--
geoff
Posted to cam.misc, uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 20:50, "Roger Mills" wrote:

[...]

Heh - no! That is far more sophisticated than I want. Currently, a
power cut causes the timer not only to forget the time but the
heating/ hot water settings. Hence, just a short power cut will cause
the heating to shut down completely until someone resets it.

I've got a battery on order now. I'm hoping that once I've installed
it, the central heating will once again work as it used to and come
back on and work normally after a short(ish) power cut.

Thanks for the info about programmable thermostats. I'm not sure our
system is sophisticated enough to benefit from one, though. The one
place in the house which gets too hot is the kitchen and that is the
only room that doesn't have a radiator. Most of the other radiators
have thermostat valves. We don't have any wall thermostat.

Cheers,

Ben
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message
,
writes
wrote:

[...]

Having replaced 100's of ST699 batteries ...

snip the leads off (If you're deft, you can get cutters in behind the
post and turn the post off). The hardest part is often when the old
battery corrodes itself into the white plastic sleeve - you don't need
it

Just make sure you insert it the right way round

The ST699 has a unique backplate, so replacing it with something else is
a rewiring job

--
geoff

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

CWatters wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

Unless you really want to replace it I'd fit a new battery and
spend the money on a programmable thermostat.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. It sounds like it might be a bit too
sophisticated for our requirements, though. I'll bear it in mind for
the future. At the moment, I'm looking to get something done for the
short term in case of the combined effects of a power cut, a cold
snap and us being out - so our pipes don't freeze and burst.

In that case, a programmable room stat would do some of that nicely.
(Just swap it for the current analog stat). As far as the main timer
is concerned, the CH is on constantly - with the actual timing being
done by the programmable stat.

What about the hot water? Doesn't the ST699 allow seperate control
of the DHW? Leave that on the original timer? Seems a bit messy.

Why is that messy? Assuming that the original timer allows HW and CH each
independently to be set to Off, Timed, or Constant, you simply set HW to
timed and CH to Constant. Then as noted earlier, the programmable stat does
the actual timing for the CH - as well as providing a number of other
functions which are useful for space heating but not necessary for HW.

If you were starting from scratch you might do it differently - with a
single channel timer for HW, and with the programmable CH stat fed directly
off the FCU - but when adding a programmable stat to an existing system, the
scheme which I outlined is by far the easiest to implement.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to cam.misc, uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jan, 01:05, geoff wrote:
In message
,
writes

wrote:

[...]

I have installed a new battery in the old central heating timer, now.

I took the cells out of the green plastic sheath they arrived in and
put them in the original beige plastic sheath (with the locating pin)
that was in the unit. I didn't have to chop any legs off because the
battery I bought didn't have any.

Thanks for everyones help on this,

Ben.