Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y
CWatters[_2_] CWatters[_2_] is offline

Default Advice sought on replacing a central heating timer

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

Unless you really want to replace it I'd fit a new battery and spend
the money on a programmable thermostat.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. It sounds like it might be a bit too
sophisticated for our requirements, though. I'll bear it in mind for
the future. At the moment, I'm looking to get something done for the
short term in case of the combined effects of a power cut, a cold snap
and us being out - so our pipes don't freeze and burst.

In that case, a programmable room stat would do some of that nicely. (Just
swap it for the current analog stat). As far as the main timer is

concerned,
the CH is on constantly - with the actual timing being done by the
programmable stat.

What about the hot water? Doesn't the ST699 allow seperate control of the
DHW? Leave that on the original timer? Seems a bit messy.