Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How many plug sockets?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

48 IIRC (10 in the computer room alone)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 01/01/2008 14:07 Mogga wrote:

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

84, also in 4 bedroom house. You can't have too many!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mogga writes:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

Is that counting doubles as 1 or 2?

I've got 22 in a 1990 3 bed house, mostly doubles, a few singles,
and a triple. About 7 of these were added by me, and there are
some places where it could do with more when I get round to it.

In a 3 bed house I rewired in 2000, there are 25, mostly doubles.
That's about twice as many as it had originally (which I believe
conformed to the Parker Morris standard, as that was a condition
of the grant which payed for the original rewire in the early
1970's, according to the paperwork I got). The NHBC basically
took over the original Parker Morris standards, although they
were aimed at social/council housing originally.

In the US (some states at least), there's a rule along the lines
(can't recall exact details)... An appliance with a 6' power cord
must be able to be positioned anywhere around the edge of the room
and plugged in, without the cord crossing any doorway. I quite like
that idea.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Jan, 14:07, Mogga wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)
--http://www.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Ah fetch it yourself if you can't wait for deliveryhttp://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

83 - 4bed house

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mogga wrote:
How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

How about how many not having something permanently plugged in?

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 01/01/2008 14:54 F wrote:

84, also in 4 bedroom house. You can't have too many!

In the interests of transparency/accuracy, that's counting a double as two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:54:22 UTC, F wrote:

On 01/01/2008 14:07 Mogga wrote:

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

84, also in 4 bedroom house. You can't have too many!

80, but it's 5 bed. (and 27 UTP sockets for the network)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
scribeth thus
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:54:22 UTC, F wrote:

On 01/01/2008 14:07 Mogga wrote:

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

84, also in 4 bedroom house. You can't have too many!

80, but it's 5 bed. (and 27 UTP sockets for the network)

Jeezz.. I thought our 24 was enough!..seems not!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mogga" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

and how many three bedroom houses do you know with a kitchen AND a utility
room AND two reception rooms?

OK no doubt there are some, but the normal little box does not.

Anyway, I have 8 in the living room, 4 in the kitchen (not counting the
under worktop ones that the washers are permanently wired into), 6 in the
master and 4 in the second bedroom. And none in the hallway which makes
vacuuming it a bugger.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Mogga writes:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

Is that counting doubles as 1 or 2?

it's individual sockets. so a double is 2.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Mogga contains these
words:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

20 in a three bedroom. Most of them have been changed to double sockets,
and there's a couple of 'trebles'. This house was built in 1948.

You got lucky. The 1950's house that I first rented had 1 single socket in
each bedroom, 2 singles in the living room and 2 singles (plus one on the
cooker switch, as was normal then) in the kitchen. Even if all the singles
were changed to doubles there would still only be 15.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 17:11:41 UTC, "tim....."
wrote:

"Mogga" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

and how many three bedroom houses do you know with a kitchen AND a utility
room AND two reception rooms?

OK no doubt there are some, but the normal little box does not.

Anyway, I have 8 in the living room, 4 in the kitchen (not counting the
under worktop ones that the washers are permanently wired into), 6 in the
master and 4 in the second bedroom. And none in the hallway which makes
vacuuming it a bugger.

Ah. Forgot the two in the hallway. 82.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mogga" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

Lets see now....

actual sockets in the main house 39
in my indoor workshop 22
outdoor sockets 6
garage and outdoor workshop 24
summer house plus hut 5

That count includes about eight sockets into which I have had to add 4 to 12
way strip sockets for the likes of TV's and PC's etc, but the strip outlets
themselves have been omitted from the count. Twin outlets counted as 2. It
seems every I redecorate a room, I need to consider adding yet more outlets.

-----

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:29:41 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

48 IIRC (10 in the computer room alone)

39 3 bed house. Wiring about 25 years old with some extras.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in
:

"Mogga" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets,
more than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the
National House Building Council's technical standards - revised
up last year from 21 sockets - which cover more than 80% of new
homes built in the UK.

and how many three bedroom houses do you know with a kitchen AND a
utility room AND two reception rooms?

OK no doubt there are some, but the normal little box does not.

Err... This one has. But then it's an 1830s twin fronted terraced
house, and probably doesn't count as a 'normal little box'.

Anyway, I have 8 in the living room, 4 in the kitchen (not
counting the under worktop ones that the washers are permanently
wired into), 6 in the master and 4 in the second bedroom. And
none in the hallway which makes vacuuming it a bugger.

32 doubles here = 64 sockets
(I see elsethread that 1 x double = 2)

And yes, there are useful sockets in the hall (including 1 under the
stairs for the colour laser printer that SWMBO hates (too big,
doesn't match the decor) and soon my newly acquired NAS) and on the
landing. But the number excludes the 3 doubles in the shed, not to
mention the 30A outlet for the kiln and the assorted dedicated FCUs
around the place...

We had the electrics revamped as part of the renovation - the power
circuits were radial, so the ring final circuits are new, as is the
submain out to the shed. The sparky who did the work said he'd never
seen so many sockets in a small house...

Kind regards

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mogga wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

Counting a double as two I get about 93. Got another 24 in my workshop,
and about 8 in the other outbuilding. (1956, 5 bed extended semi -
re-wired once prior to our owning it, and then dramatically extended
electrics since)

(However that excludes the 68 or so in my office that are on the ends of
flying leads in equipment racks and on UPSs etc).

By comparison, my neighbour (unaltered 3 bed semi) had something like 16
in total before I rewired it. (he's got 70 inside and two outside now)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Anyway, aren't they plugs

No they're sockets, or socket-outlets in formal BS 7671-speak. (Cue
'60s BBC2: "it might be a plug to you, but it's a socket-to-me" boom boom.)

and the things you plug into them are plugtops?

"Plug-top" has become common industry parlance for "plug" but AIUI it
originally referred to the body of the plug containing the terminals and
fuse (if any), but excluding the external pins.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mogga" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

My dads has 11 in a three bed.
Needless to say there are a few extentions about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:07:54 +0000, Mogga
wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

I don't see what business it is of the NHBC how many sockets I have in
my house.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
I don't see what business it is of the NHBC how many sockets I have in
my house.

It isn't. But it is their business to suggest how many should go into a
new house built to NHBC standards.

Andy (A mere 40 sockets here)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , owain47125
@stirlingcity.coo.uk says...
My mother's house, built in 1968 with NHBC, had 7 singles, including the
cooker point. The smallest bedroom had none.

When we lived in Hounslow the old dear up the road had the original
electricity company "minimum installation" - two sockets and two lights,
IIRC.
She had a flying lead running to upstairs to power a bedside lamp and
that was it.
She also had an outside toilet. The up-side to all this was she had a
peppercorn rent.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 21:36:23 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:
I don't see what business it is of the NHBC how many sockets I have in
my house.

It isn't. But it is their business to suggest how many should go into a
new house built to NHBC standards.

Andy (A mere 40 sockets here)

But at the same time as we're being harrassed about using less energy
maybe having so many sockets encourages you to waste energy? If you
had limited sockets you'd have to unplug chargers and other wasteful
leave-ons wouldn't you?
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 02/01/2008 10:39 Mogga wrote:

But at the same time as we're being harrassed about using less energy
maybe having so many sockets encourages you to waste energy?

No, it just makes using what you're using more convenient/easier/safer.
It's the attitude to energy use (and saving £££s) that matters in terms
of using less.

We've got two toilets: a friend once told me we should pay more in water
charges. Must have thought that two toilets meant we peed twice as often...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F wrote:
But at the same time as we're being harrassed about using less energy
maybe having so many sockets encourages you to waste energy?

No, it just makes using what you're using more convenient/easier/safer.
It's the attitude to energy use (and saving £££s) that matters in terms
of using less.

Not sure about that. If you have plenty sockets you'll leave things - like
wall warts - plugged in and they take some current even when not actually
in use. If you have to unplug them to plug in something else
they can't. ;-)

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mogga wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

In a 4-bed mid-60s 3-storey terrace, about 16, from memory. The wiring's
original, about half of the sockets and light switches look to be
original, and the circuit breaker box still has its signed QA sticker
dated some time in early 1965. Needless to say, there are a few more
extensions and multiplugs than most houses have. I'm leaving it up the the
next owner to think about a total rewire. Just out of interest, is there a
minimum height for new-fit sockets? A neighbour rewired his (identical)
house, and fitted a lot more sockets, all about 500mm up the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert Campbell" wrote in message
Mogga wrote:

[...]

Not for new-fit sockets as such but for sockets in new build (including
extensions etc) - minimum 450mm. New sockets in existing build are exampt
IIRC. I guess they just did what they were used to. Access for differently
abled etc., who may purchase the property after you.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 02/01/2008 13:54 Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you have plenty sockets you'll leave things - like
wall warts - plugged in and they take some current even when not actually
in use. If you have to unplug them to plug in something else
they can't. ;-)

I can see that, but it's also the point I was making. If you're
bothered, you turn them off when they're not being used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

I don't see what business it is of the NHBC how many sockets I have in
my house.

I they didn't do that then they would do what a developer did for a brand
new 2 bed flat in 1978. Total 12 (most of which were doubles).

At least by specifying the standard some scumbag cheap skate might be
prevented from making a balls-up just to save a tiny fraction of the
total cost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

I don't see what business it is of the NHBC how many sockets I have in
my house.

I they didn't do that then they would do what a developer did for a brand
new 2 bed flat in 1978. Total 12 (most of which were doubles).

Surely it's up to the buyer to decide how many sockets (and
whereabouts) in the house?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , Mogga
writes

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

I'm not sure, a quick estimate gives around 150, but that includes shed,
garage etc., and also fixed_in_place extension sockets.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , F
writes

We've got two toilets: a friend once told me we should pay more in
water charges. Must have thought that two toilets meant we peed twice
as often...

Sounds a bit like the government wanting to CO2_tax cars on CO2gm/km,
rather than just putting the CO2_tax on the petrol you actually use /
the CO2 you actually emit . . . and then not bothering to CO2_tax
domestic gas and electricity.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bof wrote:
In message , Mogga
writes

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

I'm not sure, a quick estimate gives around 150, but that includes shed,
garage etc., and also fixed_in_place extension sockets.

Just had a count up and In this 4 bed house there are 125 sockets, this
does not include shed or any 4 way exts of which there are a few.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mogga wrote:

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

44 in a 2 bed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mogga wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm

A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?

(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

House built in 1970:

Lounge: 1x single, 1x double
Dining Area: 2x single
Hall: 1x single
Kitchen: 1x double, 1x single.
Landing: 1x single
Bedrooms (3): 2x single

Total: 16

Extension leads:

Lounge: 1x6w, 1x4w
Kitchen: 2x4w
Dining Area: 1x6w
Bedrooms: 2x6w, 2x4w
Power to garage: 1x4w, then 3x4w

Total: 60

Grand Total: 76
..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mogga
writes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6705313.stm
A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more
than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House
Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21
sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

We have 65 (I think) in what is a largish Victorian 4 bed - so we have a
pantry, utility, 3 recp. etc. Some are in odd places as well. eg the 2
doubles in the dining room are now inside built in cupboards. 7 sockets
in sitting room, but TV/audio etc. all run out of one socket in one
corner

We had IIRC 54 in our old 3 bed semi that I had rewired (sounds low now
I think about it)

Not including all the multiway extensions though.....

What about room average then? (not inc. bathrooms/toilets, but hallway
and landing 1 room each)

Current house: 4.65

Old house: 6.75

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

92 outlets in a 1895 terrace, rewired in 1993.
4 bed, 2 kitchen, cellar, laundry room, 2 bath, shed, roof spaces.

I need more in the office for the computer stuff. Will have to put
another ring in.

--
JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Jan, 15:21, wrote:
How many sockets do you have?
(We have 68 in a 4 bed)

92 outlets in a 1895 terrace, rewired in 1993.
4 bed, 2 kitchen, cellar, laundry room, 2 bath, shed, roof spaces.

I need more in the office for the computer stuff. Will have to put
another ring in.

--
JGH

Two kitchens. Sounds interesting.
Simon.

sinking plug sockets into walls... Thomarse UK diy 26 June 7th 07 11:37 AM
Plug sockets and lights. R D S UK diy 1 August 13th 06 06:43 PM
Electricity : Plug Sockets Not Working !! hamertime UK diy 6 February 11th 06 12:04 AM
60 amp single phase plug and sockets??? ron UK diy 18 December 25th 05 02:14 AM
Old-style plug sockets Stuart Bell UK diy 58 September 15th 04 08:49 PM