Junior Member

Question Electricity : Plug Sockets Not Working !!

Hi

I'm a bit of a novice so bare with me and I apologise in advance.

Basically I have just moved house and in my basement I have 2 rooms both with plug sockets in each. Although they both used to work fine all of a sudden in one of the rooms both of the plug sockets have stopped working for some reason but the other room is fine.

All the other sockets in the house work so I am not sure what has happened.

I looked at my electricity box in the garage as I presumed it should just be a fuse, but tried to pull out the various switches for the different parts of the house but they dont seem to come out and it kinder looks like they not supposed too, which is strange.

It doesn't look like the normal fuse boxes I have seen in the past as all of the ones I have seen before have fuses you can pull out and change for each part of the house maybe its a bit newer than the ones I am used to seeing.

I have also checked the actual plug sockets and they look like they are connected up OK.

Anyway any advice would be much appreciated as I didn't really want to call someone out just for these plugs.

Thanks guys.

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike ring

Default Electricity : Plug Sockets Not Working !!

hamertime wrote in
:

I looked at my electricity box in the garage as I presumed it should
just be a fuse, but tried to pull out the various switches for the
different parts of the house but they dont seem to come out and it
kinder looks like they not supposed too, which is strange.

It doesn't look like the normal fuse boxes I have seen in the past as
all of the ones I have seen before have fuses you can pull out and
change for each part of the house maybe its a bit newer than the ones I
am used to seeing.

Just to be sociable, and in case it helps, and you're not pulling my
plonker.

These fuses are prolly! miniature contact breakers, and each one has a
switch built in.

If they've been overloaded the contact breaks and the switch jumps to the
down position.

To reset it, push the switch to the up position.

If your fuses have no switches on the front, or if you can't see one thats
out of position (down), I give up

mike

--

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

hamertime wrote:

I looked at my electricity box in the garage as I presumed it should
just be a fuse, but tried to pull out the various switches for the
different parts of the house but they dont seem to come out and it
kinder looks like they not supposed too, which is strange.

Does your fuse box (or Consumer Unit (CU) as it ought to be called) look
like it contains any of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...nge/index.html

or even:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

It doesn't look like the normal fuse boxes I have seen in the past as
all of the ones I have seen before have fuses you can pull out and
change for each part of the house maybe its a bit newer than the ones I
am used to seeing.

If it is a reasonably modern setup you would expect a nice row of
circuit breakers and not fuses. The position of the switches on them
will tell you if any have tripped.

I have also checked the actual plug sockets and they look like they are
connected up OK.

Anyway any advice would be much appreciated as I didn't really want to
call someone out just for these plugs.

First thing is to find out if any circuits are tripped. If they are all
apparently still on, then there are a number of possible reasons for the
problem you are seeing, however check the circuit breakers first and
post back again for the next steps if that does not fix it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:53:07 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

Nice bit of kit - to use where the Prospective fault current exceeds the
breaking limit of MCBs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett writes:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:53:07 +0000, John Rumm wrote:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

Nice bit of kit - to use where the Prospective fault current exceeds the
breaking limit of MCBs.

or use commercial/industrial breakers. On a couple of occasions
when I've replaced CU's in homes, I've used MEM Memshield2 (or
whatever Eaton now call it) as it's just such a joy to work
with something of that quality compared with the usual domestic
CU's. The MCB's for these are all 10kA breaking too, although
that was not my reason for using them.

Also, if you check manufacturers data sheets, you will sometimes
find their lower rated MCBs are upped to 10kA when backed with
a 100A BS1361 fuse as commonly used in main cutouts.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

when I've replaced CU's in homes, I've used MEM Memshield2 (or
whatever Eaton now call it) as it's just such a joy to work
with something of that quality compared with the usual domestic
CU's. The MCB's for these are all 10kA breaking too, although
that was not my reason for using them.

They actually have an overlapping 6kA breaking range as well under the
memshield2 brand - although it only covers the lower range of values
upto about 32 or 40A (a letter suffix of the part number dictates the
actual range IIRC).

You are right about the CUs though - nicely put together and having the
DIN rail clip the other side of the MCB from usually (i.e. on the
circuit side and not the busbar side) makes for simpler fitting and
removal in a big distribution board.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Ed Sirett wrote:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

Nice bit of kit - to use where the Prospective fault current exceeds the
breaking limit of MCBs.

Quite handy when you want working discrimination between head end of a
submain and a downstream MCB but can't afford the have the two steps in
trip rating that would be required to achieve it reliably with cascaded
MCBs as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Plug & Socket HOT - Why? mm Home Repair 0 December 25th 05 06:06 AM
Plug advice Corey Woodworking 9 October 31st 04 11:50 PM
FS: New: 24 Pin Sockets and 40 Pin Sockets Jerry Rakar Electronics 1 February 4th 04 09:38 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM