Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plug sockets and lights.

I'm about to take on a market stall, there is an electricity meter and a
handful of lights and sockets but I will need more.

I am more than capable of doing this myself, is this legal these days?

What are (if any) the penalties of just cracking on with it?

Cheers,

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

R D S wrote:
I'm about to take on a market stall, there is an electricity meter and a
handful of lights and sockets but I will need more.
I am more than capable of doing this myself, is this legal these days?
What are (if any) the penalties of just cracking on with it?

It is likely that Part P will not apply, as a market stall is not a
dwelling.

However, Electricity at Work Regulations will apply, as will any
limitations placed by your insurance company in respect of public liability.

(I'm assuming that this is a stall in a covered market or in an
outdoor market place.)

Your landlord (or local authority) will probably have their own set of
conditions as well, so I would check with them before you start work.

You should also check the maximum load that you can draw from the
supply. Your electricity meter might be at the end of a 15A circuit -
along with ten other stalls.

Sometimes fire regulations will limit the type of cable, fittings and
equipment you can use. You might also be required to have any portable
equipment PAT tested.

You will need to check all of this with your insurance company, as
Owain says.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor

undercupboard lights - fused connection chopster UK diy 3 January 23rd 06 04:51 PM
60 amp single phase plug and sockets??? ron UK diy 18 December 25th 05 02:14 AM
Sockets And Lights Gone !! leon UK diy 5 December 15th 05 11:39 PM
RCD Protection of lighting sockets Mike Hall UK diy 6 November 13th 04 09:35 PM
low voltage PIR controlled lights for drive - where? keith UK diy 11 December 24th 03 08:49 PM