Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to cut large sheets of laminate?

I need to cut up a 10' x 4' sheet of laminate into a couple of 2 inch by
8 foot strips and a couple of 3 foot squares.

What's the best way to chop down laminate?

If the pieces were smaller, I'd score and snap but the chances of
scoring and snapping an 8 foot 2 inch strip successfully seem pretty low.

Can you put it through a table saw? It seems like it would chip at best
and probably vibrate and shatter at worst.

I'm planning to use a laminate trimming bit to get the final finish.

Any advice appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

I need to cut up a 10' x 4' sheet of laminate into a couple of 2 inch
by 8 foot strips and a couple of 3 foot squares.

What's the best way to chop down laminate?

If the pieces were smaller, I'd score and snap but the chances of
scoring and snapping an 8 foot 2 inch strip successfully seem pretty
low.

Can you put it through a table saw? It seems like it would chip at
best and probably vibrate and shatter at worst.

I'm planning to use a laminate trimming bit to get the final finish.

Any advice appreciated.

I think I'd use a fine-toothed jigsaw.

You'll have to support it fully - both sides of the cut - whatever you do,
preferably holding it onto the supporting boards with clamps.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
mike wrote:

I need to cut up a 10' x 4' sheet of laminate into a couple of 2 inch
by 8 foot strips and a couple of 3 foot squares.

What's the best way to chop down laminate?

If the pieces were smaller, I'd score and snap but the chances of
scoring and snapping an 8 foot 2 inch strip successfully seem pretty
low.

Can you put it through a table saw? It seems like it would chip at
best and probably vibrate and shatter at worst.

I'm planning to use a laminate trimming bit to get the final finish.

Any advice appreciated.

I think I'd use a fine-toothed jigsaw.

You'll have to support it fully - both sides of the cut - whatever you do,
preferably holding it onto the supporting boards with clamps.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Since they mainly cut on the upstroke, it might be better to turn the
laminate upside-down before clamping.
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
I need to cut up a 10' x 4' sheet of laminate into a couple of 2 inch by
8 foot strips and a couple of 3 foot squares.

What's the best way to chop down laminate?

If the pieces were smaller, I'd score and snap but the chances of
scoring and snapping an 8 foot 2 inch strip successfully seem pretty low.

Can you put it through a table saw? It seems like it would chip at best
and probably vibrate and shatter at worst.

I'm planning to use a laminate trimming bit to get the final finish.

Any advice appreciated.

Gosh, I remember actual laminate and Evostik..

Fine toothed saw is the way to go, if a jigsaw cut upside down.

A tile saw might even work..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:56:32 +0000, mike wrote:

I need to cut up a 10' x 4' sheet of laminate into a couple of 2 inch by 8
foot strips and a couple of 3 foot squares.

What's the best way to chop down laminate?

If the pieces were smaller, I'd score and snap but the chances of scoring
and snapping an 8 foot 2 inch strip successfully seem pretty low.

Can you put it through a table saw? It seems like it would chip at best
and probably vibrate and shatter at worst.

I'm planning to use a laminate trimming bit to get the final finish.

Any advice appreciated.

==================================
This will do the job but you lose 1/8" (width of blade)for each cut:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...4-hand-nibbler

You will still need to finish either by sanding or by trimming bit.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
I need to cut up a 10' x 4' sheet of laminate into a couple of 2 inch
by 8 foot strips and a couple of 3 foot squares.

What's the best way to chop down laminate?

If the pieces were smaller, I'd score and snap but the chances of
scoring and snapping an 8 foot 2 inch strip successfully seem pretty
low.

This is exactly what I had to do about 25 - 30 years ago in our first house.
No pre formed worktops in them days thee knows. Formica was the in thing.

I'm pretty sure I scored & snapped the edge strips - can't think of any
other technology availaible back then.

I'm planning to use a laminate trimming bit to get the final finish.

That being the case they could be as rough as a badgers ar*e & it wouldn't
matter, so a jigsaw would work - supporting the edge will be your biggest
problem.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
mike wrote:
I need to cut up a 10' x 4' sheet of laminate into a couple of 2 inch
by 8 foot strips and a couple of 3 foot squares.

What's the best way to chop down laminate?

If the pieces were smaller, I'd score and snap but the chances of
scoring and snapping an 8 foot 2 inch strip successfully seem pretty
low.

This is exactly what I had to do about 25 - 30 years ago in our first house.
No pre formed worktops in them days thee knows. Formica was the in thing.

I'm pretty sure I scored & snapped the edge strips - can't think of any
other technology availaible back then.

I'm planning to use a laminate trimming bit to get the final finish.

That being the case they could be as rough as a badgers ar*e & it wouldn't
matter, so a jigsaw would work - supporting the edge will be your biggest
problem.

I used to use a surform followed by a sanding block at 45 degrees, to
cut back 1/4" oversize edges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:

I think I'd use a fine-toothed jigsaw.

You'll have to support it fully - both sides of the cut - whatever you do,
preferably holding it onto the supporting boards with clamps.
--

Since they mainly cut on the upstroke, it might be better to turn the
laminate upside-down before clamping.
Don

Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't even considered the dreaded
jigsaw, but it seems obvious now.

Cic's gadget looks nice too though ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

In article ,
"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:

I think I'd use a fine-toothed jigsaw.

You'll have to support it fully - both sides of the cut - whatever
you do, preferably holding it onto the supporting boards with
clamps. --

Since they mainly cut on the upstroke, it might be better to turn the
laminate upside-down before clamping.
Don

Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't even considered the dreaded
jigsaw, but it seems obvious now.

Cic's gadget looks nice too though ;-)

It would do the job but would take a long time to nibble all along an 8' cut
(and your hands would get sore!).
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:43:43 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, mike
wrote:

In article , "Donwill" popple
@diddle .dot wrote:

I think I'd use a fine-toothed jigsaw.

You'll have to support it fully - both sides of the cut - whatever you
do, preferably holding it onto the supporting boards with clamps. --
Since they mainly cut on the upstroke, it might be better to turn the
laminate upside-down before clamping. Don

Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't even considered the dreaded
jigsaw, but it seems obvious now.

Cic's gadget looks nice too though ;-)

It would do the job but would take a long time to nibble all along an 8'
cut (and your hands would get sore!).

==================================
It's designed for the job and it's almost as easy (and as fast) as using a
pair of large shears / scissors. Of course it's slower on metals but it
crunches through Formica like a starving piranha in a swimming pool.

We're rather too cossetted today by having so many power tools to do the
most basic jobs.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
I need to cut up a 10' x 4' sheet of laminate into a couple of 2 inch
by 8 foot strips and a couple of 3 foot squares.

What's the best way to chop down laminate?

If the pieces were smaller, I'd score and snap but the chances of
scoring and snapping an 8 foot 2 inch strip successfully seem pretty
low.

Can you put it through a table saw? It seems like it would chip at
best and probably vibrate and shatter at worst.

I'm planning to use a laminate trimming bit to get the final finish.

Any advice appreciated.

Mike,

Use the edge of a sharp 1" wood chisel to score from the face to about half
way through and then snap the piece off - that's how I did it as an
apprentice a very long time ago.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
mike wrote:
[...]

OI Dave,
FYI Badgers arses are not that rough.

DAMHIKIJD..... OK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
[...]

I admit to no personal knowledge...

DAMHIKIJD

??????

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Plastic cladding in large sheets? Can I buy such an item? F1LBY UK diy 0 June 14th 06 04:32 PM
Putting in laminate flooring over a large area [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 3rd 06 05:05 PM
Laminate sheets Mark A UK diy 14 March 5th 05 06:15 PM
FS - Large endmills for sale ( at least too large for my use) [email protected] Metalworking 2 February 7th 05 12:45 PM
for Sale Large SPINDLE Adaptor and Large 3C Collet for S/Bend LATHE [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 11th 05 09:32 PM