Mark A

Default Laminate sheets

Is it possible to buy sheets of what I'd call 'Formica', but these days
seems to be called 'high pressure laminate'?

Time was you could wander into your nearest B&Q and they'd have sheets
of the stuff in many different colours and sheet sizes. Nowadays it
seems to have completely disappeared from our shelves. I did a quick
Google for UK suppliers but even that didn't come up with any viable
places to actually buy the stuff.

Anyone know? Cheers.

Regards

Mark
brugnospamsia

"Mark A" wrote in message
Is it possible to buy sheets of what I'd call 'Formica', but these days
seems to be called 'high pressure laminate'?

Time was you could wander into your nearest B&Q and they'd have sheets
of the stuff in many different colours and sheet sizes. Nowadays it
seems to have completely disappeared from our shelves. I did a quick
Google for UK suppliers but even that didn't come up with any viable
places to actually buy the stuff.

Anyone know? Cheers.

It'd be my choice too - I've been using an old self-coloured Formica
countertop I salvaged from work. I hate to replace it with that
vomit-coloured stuff ....

just been googling - thought there was somewhere in south Wales that sold
genuine Formica

there are stories of explosions caused by the fumes from vast acreages of
contact adhesive neccessary on a kitchen scale ...

I had a notion to try concrete ....

Jeremy

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "brugnospamsia"
wrote:

just been googling - thought there was somewhere in south Wales that sold
genuine Formica

Last time I looked, genuine Formica wasn't available. Company had
folded and there was only a little old stock still around. Shame
really, as it's an excellent material.

I had a notion to try concrete ....

It's a good plan. Read this first:
"Concrete Countertops: Design, Forms and Finishes"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1561584843/codesmiths

John

"Mark A" wrote in message
Is it possible to buy sheets of what I'd call 'Formica', but these days
seems to be called 'high pressure laminate'?

Time was you could wander into your nearest B&Q and they'd have sheets
of the stuff in many different colours and sheet sizes. Nowadays it
seems to have completely disappeared from our shelves. I did a quick
Google for UK suppliers but even that didn't come up with any viable
places to actually buy the stuff.

Anyone know? Cheers.

Regards

Mark

Why not ask at http://www.formica.co.uk/ ?

HTH

John

Pete C

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:15:59 +0000, Mark A
wrote:

Is it possible to buy sheets of what I'd call 'Formica', but these days
seems to be called 'high pressure laminate'?

Time was you could wander into your nearest B&Q and they'd have sheets
of the stuff in many different colours and sheet sizes. Nowadays it
seems to have completely disappeared from our shelves. I did a quick
Google for UK suppliers but even that didn't come up with any viable
places to actually buy the stuff.

Anyone know? Cheers.

Hi,

AFAIK a more generic name for Formica is melamine:

http://www.classiccafes.co.uk/formica.html

so a search on 'melamine laminate' should turn up some more mfrs/
suppliers apart from Formica. They should then be able to supply
samples and point you to a retailer or distributor if need be.

cheers,
Pete.
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

I don't think malamine is the same as Formica

Melamine is the resin used to make Formica (along with sheets of paper
and high pressure).

"High pressure laminate" is one of several resins, with pressure, but
rarely with melamine.

Contiplas is chipboard covered in a thin layer of melamine impregnated
printed paper, with no pressure.

Melaware is a '60s break-proof crockery of pure melamine and no paper
at all.

The reason Formica is so hard-wearing is the _combination_ of melamine
and high presure. It's something like 1/2" thick before they squash
it.
Mark A

John wrote:

Why not ask at http://www.formica.co.uk/ ?

Sent an email - four days later not answered. So phoned up, was told the
lady that deals with public enquiries is busy she'll phone me back. A
day later no phone. Phones again, she's still not available. Can't
anyone else at all help? I ask. No. So I ask how come their web site
has no list of stockists? Can't answer that, but get promise that the
one and only lady who can talk to me about actually buying their bloody
product will absolutely, definitely phone me back. A day later still no
phone.

And they wonder why some companies go bust. Guess Formica's off my list
of things to buy. Ho-Hum.

Regards

Mark

Mark A

Andy Dingley wrote:

Melamine is the resin used to make Formica (along with sheets of paper
and high pressure).

"High pressure laminate" is one of several resins, with pressure, but
rarely with melamine.

I don't really mind what exactly it is, but more where I might actually
buy a couple of sheets, preferably from a local DIY shed.

But cheers to one and all for the answers so far.

Regards

Mark
Owain

Mark A wrote:
John wrote:
Why not ask at http://www.formica.co.uk/ ?

And they wonder why some companies go bust. Guess Formica's off my list
of things to buy. Ho-Hum.

These are distributors, they have several branches round the country, so
possibly your local branch could suggest a retailer. Their website
claims 2,500 laminates and 44,000 worktops

International Decorative Surfaces
http://www.idsurfaces.co.uk/

Owain

Rob Morley

In article , "Mark A" m.annetts-
says...
John wrote:

Why not ask at
http://www.formica.co.uk/ ?

Sent an email - four days later not answered. So phoned up, was told the
lady that deals with public enquiries is busy she'll phone me back. A
day later no phone. Phones again, she's still not available. Can't
anyone else at all help? I ask. No. So I ask how come their web site
has no list of stockists? Can't answer that, but get promise that the
one and only lady who can talk to me about actually buying their bloody
product will absolutely, definitely phone me back. A day later still no
phone.

And they wonder why some companies go bust. Guess Formica's off my list
of things to buy. Ho-Hum.

http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/gb-product-54206.html
Mark A

Owain wrote:

International Decorative Surfaces
http://www.idsurfaces.co.uk/

Cheers.

Regards

Mark
Mark A

Rob Morley wrote:

http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/gb-product-54206.html

Lots of links but none of them of much use, but thanks for the try
anyway.

Regards

Mark

laminate flooring install time [email protected] Home Repair 15 January 31st 05 03:12 AM
laminate on stairs/killing the dogs Lorne Home Repair 9 October 17th 04 06:59 PM
Old MSDS Sheets related to Manganese in Welding Rods MMonheit Metalworking 22 February 3rd 04 11:38 PM
How to wateprooof your laminate flooring George Bray UK diy 16 January 6th 04 09:32 AM
That laminate vs new wood flooring Q - thanks Tenex UK diy 7 September 9th 03 10:11 AM