Lorne

Default laminate on stairs/killing the dogs

Over the past 6 weeks I've gradually removed all the carpets in the house
and replaced them with laminate flooring. I'm down to just the kitchen
and dining room, and then all I will have left are the stairs from the
main floor to the second floor.

Having lived with laminate for a few weeks what is evident is that the
(little) dogs we have are not very comfortable. The product is quite
slippery for them and their toenails and they have a tough time getting
up and down from furniture, the bed, etc.

What I'm worried about is the stairs. I can't see where they would be
able to get up or down at all. Some of the options I've considered:

- carpet the stairs - to me this would seem odd because it would be the
only carpet remaining on the top 2 floors of the house
- laminate the stairs and install a "runner" down the middle 12 inches of
the stairs
- laminate the stairs and find a "safety tread" to install on the
bullnose or the step of each stair

Any ideas or comments that would help me out on this one?

Lorne
Edwin Pawlowski

"Lorne" wrote in message

What I'm worried about is the stairs. I can't see where they would be
able to get up or down at all. Some of the options I've considered:

Any ideas or comments that would help me out on this one?

Lorne

Our Lhaso Apso had no problem. Give the dog a few days and if problems
persist, consider a runner or safety treads. Maybe a closer trim of the
nails would help so the pad hits the floor and not the nails that would tend
to slip more easily.

Cbe

"Lorne" wrote in message

Having lived with laminate for a few weeks what is evident is that the
(little) dogs we have are not very comfortable. The product is quite
slippery for them and their toenails and they have a tough time getting
up and down from furniture, the bed, etc.

Any ideas or comments that would help me out on this one?

Lorne

Consider going to bed with a human for a change. Generally, humans don't
have trouble getting in/out of bed unless they're over 80.

Jeff Wisnia

Lorne wrote:

[...]

Here's just what the doctor ordered:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/-950-.html

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Lee Bray

Hi Lorne

Which one is more important? The Laminate or your dogs! For us it
is the dogs
and I would do whatever it takes to make her comfortable. She is not
comfortable
on slippery floors, even runners in the rooms would help them! why not
carpet
the steps even if it is only for the dogs which I gather you love or you
would not have
asked.

Lee

Lorne wrote:

Any ideas or comments that would help me out on this one?

Red Neckerson

"Lee Bray" wrote

Which one is more important? The Laminate or your dogs! For us it is
the dogs
and I would do whatever it takes to make her comfortable. She is not
comfortable
on slippery floors, even runners in the rooms would help them! why not
carpet
the steps even if it is only for the dogs which I gather you love or you
would not have
asked.

While you're at it, why not buy him a cedar-filled booster seat so he can
eat at the dinner table with you......

JerryMouse

Lorne wrote:
Any ideas or comments that would help me out on this one?

Think cat.

Roger

What I'm worried about is the stairs. I can't see where they would be
able to get up or down at all. Some of the options I've considered:

- carpet the stairs - to me this would seem odd because it would be the
only carpet remaining on the top 2 floors of the house
- laminate the stairs and install a "runner" down the middle 12 inches of
the stairs
- laminate the stairs and find a "safety tread" to install on the
bullnose or the step of each stair

Consider either full stair carpeting, or a runner, english style, with stair
rods and brackets to hold the runner against the bases of the step risers.
I would use something wider than 12 inches, perhaps 18 inches, so humans
could use it too, and it would look more balanced, covering 2/3 of the width
of the stairs. Agree with person noting that your dog's toenails should be
kept trimmed so most of the weight is on their pads, for better grip. On
our wood stairs we have stick-down carpet rectangles that are glued to the
wood. The dog gets good grip, but it looks like hell.
They also sell rubber tread covers, but they look kinda institutional, but
help animals get a grip, as it were.

Bonnie Jean

I agree with getting the 18" runner. And in the long run it's probably safer
for the humans in the house too. My next suggestion is NOT to get carpet
that is light in color. Maybe an oriental style would work for you. I say
this because stairs are a high traffic area and you don't want to have to be
shampooing it all the time.

RSMEINER

Having lived with laminate for a few weeks what is evident is that the
(little) dogs we have are not very comfortable. The product is quite
slippery for them and their toenails and they have a tough time getting
up and down from furniture, the bed, etc.

How long are their toenails ?
The pads on their feet should be ok on the laminate but I
can see where they would problems if their toenails are to long.
That and you will hear click click click while they are walking.

Randy
http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner