Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shaving - is foam necessary?

Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?
--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-30 11:02:14 +0000, Chris ] said:

Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.

I have had to do this on occasions on business trips. It seems to be
workable as long as one is careful, or there does seem to be a greater
risk of nicking one's visage. Using a new blade seems to help with
that.

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

One wonders, but it does seem that a little less care is needed than
with the shampoo method

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ], Chris ]
writes
Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Never used foam in 35 yrs, just ordinary soap lathered up,
--
Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.
So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Einstein wasn't a fan of it I believe, and just used to rinse the
blade regularly with water.

ISTR he wasn't a fan of socks either...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?
--
Chris

I suppose really this all depends on how hard your bristles are ie if you
can use just soap then you must have bum fluff. :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith wrote:
In message ], Chris ]
writes
Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Never used foam in 35 yrs, just ordinary soap lathered up,

AOL,

I'm into about 10 years of soap only.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-30 11:48:13 +0000, Colin Wilson
o.uk said:

Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.
So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Einstein wasn't a fan of it I believe, and just used to rinse the
blade regularly with water.

ISTR he wasn't a fan of socks either...

I'm not either, which must account for my great intellect, and modesty
of course :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ], Chris ]
writes
Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Just an expensive lubricant ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-30 11:48:13 +0000, Colin Wilson
o.uk said:

Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.
So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Einstein wasn't a fan of it I believe, and just used to rinse the
blade regularly with water.

ISTR he wasn't a fan of socks either...

I'm not either, which must account for my great intellect, and modesty
of course :-)

I've used cold water on ocassions. Well, when you sleep in. make mad
dash for office, and buy some of those wretched throwaway razors, and
the hot water is not available, its the only way. Trouble is it seems
much easier to nick yourself and you end up covered in bits of toilet
paper.

Secret to good shave is wet the beard well and then keep it wet. The
only advantage of the creams etc. appears to be their ability to keep
the beard wet. Plain soap can dry very quickly.

Having said all that I use an electric razor.

So what is this macho thing about using a blade. You know, "Oh my
beard is too tough for an electric shaver"

B****x. Its only hair, not wire. Are they trying to tell us that if
they grew a beard it would be like Desperate Dans. Vertical to the
skin.

REAL man hammer it back in and chew it off on the inside,

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Some people find soap dries their skin more than the foams. Not a
problem if you moisturise afterwards though I suppose.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message ], Chris ]
writes
Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as shaving
foam.

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Just an expensive lubricant ...

--
geoff

Foam? What the bloody hell is shaving foam? Are you not supposed to buy
expensive shaving gels these days with built in soothing aloe for sensitive
skin?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So what is this macho thing about using a blade. You know, "Oh my
beard is too tough for an electric shaver"

I don't use a blade to be "macho" - I don't grow vast amounts of
facial hair, and often get away with shaving every 2-3 days.

I use a blade because it gives a far better result IME than a dry
electric shave. Sure, you get the odd nick, but they're preferable to
the razor burns I used to get off electric razors !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec, 11:02, Chris ] wrote:

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Try "King of Shaves" oil. Expensive (by volume), but you really do
only need a couple of drops. Good for travelling. Lesser copy brands
haven't really managed it, IMHE.

OTOH, at home I only ever use water and warmth. I shave after a bath
or shower and the good steaming beforehand is quite enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ], ] says...
So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

I use hair conditioner, having no other use for it. What makes the most
difference is time - wharever you use give it a few minutes to soak in
so your beard's softer and it'll cut more easily. I slap it on as I get
into the shower and shave as I finish.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec, 11:32, Keith wrote:
In message ], Chris ]
writes

Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Never used foam in 35 yrs, just ordinary soap lathered up,

Sound advice. You are just as likely to cut your skin to ribbons with
soap as with any foam or gel.

It is going against the grain that makes it fierce: you can use your
face/neck as a means toasting crumpets afterwards. I reckon 0.5kW of
radiant heat can be obtained this way.

--
Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:02:14 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Recently I ran out of shaving foam - and there was some liquid soap
available - and so I used that - and it seemed to work as well as
shaving foam.

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

It's whatever works for you - they all do essentially the same thing.
Personally I reckon the criteria is how long the chosen lotion remains
'wet' and how your fizzog feels afterwards.
For a foam I'd recommend Nivea Sensitive ( with 'Ultraglide
Technology' ) and King of Shaves for a gel.
A very refreshing and close shave can be had by using Somerset oil.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:21:16 +0000, Si $3o&m wrote:

When I was shaving scrotums for a living I always used talc. Was very
effective.

I'm just trying to visualise you miming your work on 'What's my
line?'...

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:22:04 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:

On 30 Dec, 11:02, Chris ] wrote:

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Try "King of Shaves" oil. Expensive (by volume), but you really do
only need a couple of drops. Good for travelling. Lesser copy brands
haven't really managed it, IMHE.

OTOH, at home I only ever use water and warmth. I shave after a bath
or shower and the good steaming beforehand is quite enough.

Baby oil works OK too but, as with KOS, it clings to the sides of the
washbasin (along with a fair proportion of the newly-shaved stubble) when
the water is drained.

I remember - years ago - an Alastair Cooke LFA episode where he described
how he habitually shaved dry with a blade razor. Yes, I did try it - once.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:21:16 +0000, Si $3o&m wrote:

When I was shaving scrotums for a living I always used talc. Was very
effective.

I'm just trying to visualise you miming your work on 'What's my
line?'...

grin

Ok guys - it was just pre-op shaving - something I was doing for a while
in the 80's - imagine having everything shaved from your belly-button
under & round to the middle of your back and you'll get the right idea.
I don't remember cutting anyone which is surprising given the varied
contours encountered but I've never tried talc on my face.

Such shaving practices seem to have gone out of vogue now - for which I
am thankful in my advancing years.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec, 16:56, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
So what is this macho thing about using a blade. *You know, "Oh my
beard is too tough for an electric shaver"

I don't use a blade to be "macho" - I don't grow vast amounts of
facial hair, and often get away with shaving every 2-3 days.

I use a blade because it gives a far better result IME than a dry
electric shave. Sure, you get the odd nick, but they're preferable to
the razor burns I used to get off electric razors !

Excues me, but Razor Burn is something yopu get from a blade, not an
electric razor

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec, 18:06, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:29:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:
So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Only to the shareholders of the manufactures...

I've used cold water on ocassions.

Plain cold water is not nice, you do need a lubricant of some sort. Unless
I *really* had to have a shave I'd only wash with plain cold water to
freshen up.

I use ordinary soap and have done for a very long time, I think it was
before I went backpacking around China for 6 weeks in 1993. That trip and
living in trenches for a week taught me that keeping ones feet warm and
dry and at least an upper body wash of some sort on waking are what keeps
one comfortable.

So what is this macho thing about using a blade. *You know, "Oh my
beard is too tough for an electric shaver"

No the few times I've tried an electric shaver it has taken longer to do
the job that a blade does better.

--
Cheers * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dave. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * pam is missing e-mail

On the odd occasion I now use a blade I find it very poor. I know that
is down to me and my technique because in the past I found blades o/k.
Electric razors require their own technique and I don't think trying
them a few times will gain that proficiency. Modern, as in Braun,
electric razors are very efficient. No more than with blades, it is
not possible to be generic about them. One of those tiddly litle
battery razors is not going to compare to the proper jobbie.

Paul Mc Cann

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec, 18:40, Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
.uk says... I use a blade because it gives a far better result IME than a dry
electric shave. Sure, you get the odd nick, but they're preferable to
the razor burns I used to get off electric razors !

I never nick myself wet shaving, and I agree - you get a far smoother
shave with a proper blade. Anyway, I don't like all that noise!

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Must be a helluva long time since you tried an electric razor if the
noise bothers you !!!!!

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 152b1acf-6f68-43bd-b503-dde4d3bbc526
@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com, says...
Must be a helluva long time since you tried an electric razor if the
noise bothers you !!!!!

Twenty years or so. I'm happy with what I have.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shaving foam - what's it made of?

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:02:14 +0000, Chris wrote:

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Just before Xmas I went for the second time to unblock wastes at
a house where HWITO[1] uses Gillette shaving foam from an aerosol can.
First time the basin trap was completely blocked by a pastey gunge that,
when disturbed, smelled exactly like Gillette shaving foam!

Second visit was to deal with blockage of the shower which discharges into
the same waste pipework. No physical access to pipework so tried sucking
with wet&dry vac. Again, distinct smell of Gillette shaving foam, and
distinct lack of unblocking. The stuff seems to set almost like a clay.

I phoned a very odd-looking number (00800-something-long) on the tin
(which got me through to somewhere oop north) and asked about how to get
rid of this crud. Not surprisingly the customer relations droidess didn't
have this one on her script but promised to ask the technical bods for an
answer and get back to me. Equally unsurprisingly they haven't.

Any clues to chemicals which would shift it?

[1] He Who Is To Obey cf SWMBO ;-)

--
John Stumbles

I used to think the brain was the most interesting part of the body
- until I realised what was telling me that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-31 13:30:08 +0000, John Stumbles said:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:02:14 +0000, Chris wrote:

So are these special shaving foams and creams any advantage?

Just before Xmas I went for the second time to unblock wastes at
a house where HWITO[1] uses Gillette shaving foam from an aerosol can.
First time the basin trap was completely blocked by a pastey gunge that,
when disturbed, smelled exactly like Gillette shaving foam!

Second visit was to deal with blockage of the shower which discharges into
the same waste pipework. No physical access to pipework so tried sucking
with wet&dry vac. Again, distinct smell of Gillette shaving foam, and
distinct lack of unblocking. The stuff seems to set almost like a clay.

I phoned a very odd-looking number (00800-something-long) on the tin
(which got me through to somewhere oop north)

These are international freephone numbers,

and asked about how to get
rid of this crud. Not surprisingly the customer relations droidess didn't
have this one on her script but promised to ask the technical bods for an
answer and get back to me. Equally unsurprisingly they haven't.

Any clues to chemicals which would shift it?

Caustic soda?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 31, 11:23 am, Si $3o&m wrote:
In message , Frank Erskine
writesOn Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:21:16 +0000, Si $3o&m wrote:

When I was shaving scrotums for a living I always used talc. Was very
effective.

I'm just trying to visualise you miming your work on 'What's my
line?'...

grin

Ok guys - it was just pre-op shaving - something I was doing for a while
in the 80's - imagine having everything shaved from your belly-button
under & round to the middle of your back and you'll get the right idea.
I don't remember cutting anyone which is surprising given the varied
contours encountered but I've never tried talc on my face.

Such shaving practices seem to have gone out of vogue now - for which I
am thankful in my advancing years.

For my vasectomy a few years ago, I was asked to shave myself. First
time I had used a rasor in about twenty years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Excues me, but Razor Burn is something yopu get from a blade, not an
electric razor

Au contraire in my case - the number of passes i'd have to make with
an electric razor gave me more "burn" than a wet shave !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 31, 1:30*pm, John Stumbles wrote:
Any clues to chemicals which would shift it?

Not a chemical, but I'd try an enzyme drain unblocker.

Acid might shift it but could need repeat applications.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from " contains these words:

So what is this macho thing about using a blade. You know, "Oh my
beard is too tough for an electric shaver"

B****x. Its only hair, not wire. Are they trying to tell us that if
they grew a beard it would be like Desperate Dans. Vertical to the
skin.

REAL man hammer it back in and chew it off on the inside,

Nothing terribly macho about using a blade -- the vast majority of WOMEN
do it. Most of them take the occasional pass over their moustache, too
-- some of them just as often as the men.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Dec, 11:33, " wrote:
On 30 Dec, 16:56, Colin Wilson

o.uk wrote:
So what is this macho thing about using a blade. *You know, "Oh my
beard is too tough for an electric shaver"

I don't use a blade to be "macho" - I don't grow vast amounts of
facial hair, and often get away with shaving every 2-3 days.

I use a blade because it gives a far better result IME than a dry
electric shave. Sure, you get the odd nick, but they're preferable to
the razor burns I used to get off electric razors !

Excues me, *but Razor Burn is something yopu get from a blade, not an
electric razor

Electric razors can be fierce, usually burn like hell without removing
any hair. Worst of all worlds.

Swivel razors (tubo-Mach 16 blades or whatever) also a pain, more
likely to make inadvertent nicks.
Best is the cheap jobbie with no more than 2 blades, fixed &
disposable.

Paul Mc Cann

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Dec, 11:38, " wrote:
[...]

Don't tell me, you bought the Company..?

Paul Mc Cann- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2007 16:41, The Night Tripper wrote:

I 'Do-It-Myself', and make my own shaving oil, according to a
recipe I came across on this very newsgroup a few years ago.

Now, are you *sure* it wasn't alt.frugal.living :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Dec, 20:08, wrote:
On 31 Dec, 11:33, " wrote:

On 30 Dec, 16:56, Colin Wilson

o.uk wrote:
So what is this macho thing about using a blade. *You know, "Oh my
beard is too tough for an electric shaver"

I don't use a blade to be "macho" - I don't grow vast amounts of
facial hair, and often get away with shaving every 2-3 days.

I use a blade because it gives a far better result IME than a dry
electric shave. Sure, you get the odd nick, but they're preferable to
the razor burns I used to get off electric razors !

Excues me, *but Razor Burn is something yopu get from a blade, not an
electric razor

Electric razors can be fierce, usually burn like hell without removing
any hair. * Worst of all worlds.

Swivel razors (tubo-Mach 16 blades or whatever) *also a pain, more
likely to make inadvertent nicks.
Best is the cheap jobbie with no more than 2 blades, fixed &
disposable.

Paul Mc Cann- Hide quoted text -

I am at an utter loss to understand what sort of electric razors you
have tried that burn like hell and don't remove hair but unless you
are in the business of re-defining terminology (See Wiki) razor burn
is caused by blades.

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com, says... Must be a helluva long time since you tried an electric razor if the
noise bothers you !!!!!

Twenty years or so. I'm happy with what I have.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Thats more like it. Nothing like and open mind and well informed
comment. Nothing.

Paul Mc Cann