Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable clips.

Was recently clipping some electrical cables to a bare brick-wall
prior to it being plaster-boarded.

However, if I hammered the clips into the mortar, they just fell out
again - the wall is ~70 years old.
And try as I might, I could not get them to hammer into the brick.

What's the usual way of attaching these to a brick wall?
Hammer into brick or mortar?

Thanks,
Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Was recently clipping some electrical cables to a bare brick-wall
prior to it being plaster-boarded.

However, if I hammered the clips into the mortar, they just fell out
again - the wall is ~70 years old.
And try as I might, I could not get them to hammer into the brick.

What's the usual way of attaching these to a brick wall?
Hammer into brick or mortar?

If they are Accrington Iron bricks, you'll struggle all day. I'd suggest
eith drilling the brick or the mortar and using rawlplugs/plasplugs/whatever
to drive the pin into.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

wrote in message
Was recently clipping some electrical cables to a bare brick-wall
prior to it being plaster-boarded.

However, if I hammered the clips into the mortar, they just fell out
again - the wall is ~70 years old.
And try as I might, I could not get them to hammer into the brick.

What's the usual way of attaching these to a brick wall?
Hammer into brick or mortar?

If they are Accrington Iron bricks, you'll struggle all day. I'd suggest
eith drilling the brick or the mortar and using
rawlplugs/plasplugs/whatever to drive the pin into.

Usually go into the mortar. Try hammering them in at a slight angle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Usually go into the mortar. Try hammering them in at a slight angle.- Hide quoted text -

Try replacing the nails with longer ones.

--
JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2007 16:32, wrote:

Try replacing the nails with longer ones.

with a ring shank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
Was recently clipping some electrical cables to a bare brick-wall
prior to it being plaster-boarded.

However, if I hammered the clips into the mortar, they just fell out
again - the wall is ~70 years old.
And try as I might, I could not get them to hammer into the brick.

What's the usual way of attaching these to a brick wall?
Hammer into brick or mortar?

B&Q etc sell wall plugs specially for cable clips. Rather long winded but
worth it IMHO. In B&Q you'll find the beside the cable clips rather
than with the other wall plugs. You'll probably need a drill for them
too - IIRC 5mm.

Thanks,
Mark.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:
Was recently clipping some electrical cables to a bare brick-wall
prior to it being plaster-boarded.

However, if I hammered the clips into the mortar, they just fell out
again - the wall is ~70 years old.
And try as I might, I could not get them to hammer into the brick.

What's the usual way of attaching these to a brick wall?
Hammer into brick or mortar?

B&Q etc sell wall plugs specially for cable clips. Rather long winded but
worth it IMHO. In B&Q you'll find the beside the cable clips rather
than with the other wall plugs. You'll probably need a drill for them
too - IIRC 5mm.

IIRC they are called PIN PLUGS £2.28 for 100 at B&Q, I bought some earlier
this year, as I was also having problems getting nails to go in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

B&Q etc sell wall plugs specially for cable clips. Rather long winded but
worth it IMHO. In B&Q you'll find the beside the cable clips rather
than with the other wall plugs. You'll probably need a drill for them
too - IIRC 5mm.

Or just drill a hole and pound a big 'splinter' of wood into the hole
with a hammer until it breaks off. Like a mini version of groundings
for skirting boards etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bolted writes:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

B&Q etc sell wall plugs specially for cable clips. Rather long winded but
worth it IMHO. In B&Q you'll find the beside the cable clips rather
than with the other wall plugs. You'll probably need a drill for them
too - IIRC 5mm.

Or just drill a hole and pound a big 'splinter' of wood into the hole
with a hammer until it breaks off. Like a mini version of groundings
for skirting boards etc.

I found a variant of this worked well in my garage.
Hammered some wire clips into the thermal blocks and
they all fell out (no grip). Hammered matchsticks into
the nail holes, and then hammered the clip nails into
the matchsticks, and they've been solid ever since.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Cable clips..... Vernon UK diy 21 May 17th 07 02:07 PM
Ipe Decking - Are these clips ok? russ Woodworking 6 July 7th 06 05:46 PM
Where can I get hat clips?? Tom Stewart Woodworking 2 February 12th 06 03:04 AM
pew clips Will Woodworking 7 January 24th 05 02:19 AM
Looking for small jumper-cable type alligator clips Frank Home Repair 39 October 20th 04 01:02 PM