Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Antique CH timer

I have a very antique Randall 103 central heating timer, which decided not
to switch on this morning - so perhaps the time has come to improve on it.
Trouble is, I can find to way to remove it from the wall. I've managed to
unscrew the cover at the bottom where all the wires come in. Of course I
could just smash it - but as I may not be able to get a replacement yet I'd
rather not do that. Has anyone any knowledge of how these come apart?

TIA

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ISTR a screw comes out at the bottom - then the whole unit slides
upwards - leaving behind just a back panel with the wiring in it.

I replaced one of these in 1999, and had the choice of the original
rotary clock unit, or a digital unit that would slide onto the
original backplate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:23:51 GMT, "Keith Dunbar"
wrote:

I have a very antique Randall 103 central heating timer, which decided not
to switch on this morning - so perhaps the time has come to improve on it.
Trouble is, I can find to way to remove it from the wall. I've managed to
unscrew the cover at the bottom where all the wires come in. Of course I
could just smash it - but as I may not be able to get a replacement yet I'd
rather not do that. Has anyone any knowledge of how these come apart?

TIA

Keith

I have a couple of the 102 Model which I believe is similar
..Underneath as you say is a screw to remove the black cover .After you
take it off just pull the rest upwards and the next step will be
obvious .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Keith Dunbar
writes
I have a very antique Randall 103 central heating timer, which decided not
to switch on this morning - so perhaps the time has come to improve on it.
Trouble is, I can find to way to remove it from the wall. I've managed to
unscrew the cover at the bottom where all the wires come in. Of course I
could just smash it - but as I may not be able to get a replacement yet I'd
rather not do that. Has anyone any knowledge of how these come apart?

Whack it upwards with the palm of your hand, it's being held in place by
the contacts

I probably have a couple of working 103s BTW if you do kill it

I think that the 105E is an electronic pin compatible replacement which
would save you messing with rewiring, you might find that they are
called Danfoss now

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:23:51 GMT someone who may be "Keith Dunbar"
wrote this:-

I have a very antique Randall 103 central heating timer, which decided not
to switch on this morning - so perhaps the time has come to improve on it.
Trouble is, I can find to way to remove it from the wall. I've managed to
unscrew the cover at the bottom where all the wires come in. Of course I
could just smash it - but as I may not be able to get a replacement yet I'd
rather not do that. Has anyone any knowledge of how these come apart?

In a couple of minutes I had navigated to
http://danfoss-randall.co.uk/Content...U17416279.html
which appears to cover the whole range and I suspect includes
mechanical and electrical instructions.

As others have said most controllers have had a standard backplate
for many years. A replacement controller should fit on this
backplate, without disturbing the wiring. This controller could come
from almost any supplier.

Note that when you take the controller off the backplate some
terminals will be live, unless isolated elsewhere.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

I have a very antique Randall 103 central heating timer, which decided not
to switch on this morning - so perhaps the time has come to improve on it.
Trouble is, I can find to way to remove it from the wall. I've managed to
unscrew the cover at the bottom where all the wires come in. Of course I
could just smash it - but as I may not be able to get a replacement yet I'd
rather not do that. Has anyone any knowledge of how these come apart?

In a couple of minutes I had navigated to
http://danfoss-randall.co.uk/Content...51-1EBD2CE38C2
4_MNU17416279.html
which appears to cover the whole range and I suspect includes
mechanical and electrical instructions.

As others have said most controllers have had a standard backplate
for many years.

What David has said above is totally incorrect in your case

The Randall backplate for the 102/103 and subsequent programmers based
on them is different to most others

--
geoff

Antique Gallery [email protected] Metalworking 0 December 11th 07 02:42 AM
Gas water heater on a timer vs. no timer - what's better? roperman Home Ownership 4 September 24th 07 02:32 AM
Washing machine timer and timer motor question. Fred Home Repair 3 April 23rd 07 03:50 AM
antique handycraft g_benk Woodturning 1 December 8th 06 03:54 PM
Antique oak Jeff and Jennifer Cook Woodworking 2 January 7th 05 04:33 AM