Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone Got A Lava Lamp (poss OT)

I was given a Mathmos lava lamp on Freecycle recently and was
wondering about it's construction .
The bottle sits loosely on to the base and the 40 watt golfball bulb
is in the base . When switched on the base which is plastic ( poss
bakelite or similar) covered in aluminium gets very hot ...so hot you
can only touch it for about a half second .There doesn't seem to be
any way of ventilating the base . The bottle itself only gets warm .I
was just wondering if there is a part missing between the base and the
bottle .It doesn't seem right that the bottle sits loosely and also
that the base gets so hot .

Does anyone here have one of these lamps ...does it also get very hot
?

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:06:20 +0000, Stuart B wrote:

I was given a Mathmos lava lamp on Freecycle recently and was
wondering about it's construction .
The bottle sits loosely on to the base and the 40 watt golfball bulb
is in the base . When switched on the base which is plastic ( poss
bakelite or similar) covered in aluminium gets very hot ...so hot you
can only touch it for about a half second .There doesn't seem to be
any way of ventilating the base . The bottle itself only gets warm .I
was just wondering if there is a part missing between the base and the
bottle .It doesn't seem right that the bottle sits loosely and also
that the base gets so hot .

Does anyone here have one of these lamps ...does it also get very hot
?

Stuart

I don't pick it up when it's on but I will go and have a look at it
now...

OK ours says "danger too hot pls don't touch"

So there you go, don't touch it.

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:51:44 +0000, mogga
wrote:

[...]

Thx for that . I guess if you had kids youd keep it well out of reach
..
Can I ask about the bottle .Does it just sit loosely on the base ?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.
Can I ask about the bottle .Does it just sit loosely on the base ?

Stuart

Oh yes it does - not fixed on at all.

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart B wrote:
snip
Does anyone here have one of these lamps ...does it also get very hot
?

If it didn't get hot, the wax wouldn't melt, and it wouldn't work.

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:46:01 +0000, aejm wrote:

Stuart B wrote:
snip
Does anyone here have one of these lamps ...does it also get very hot
?

If it didn't get hot, the wax wouldn't melt, and it wouldn't work.

Alex

Yeah I had managed to figure that out but unless you own a lava lamp
you will not know how hot it does get .It is VERY hot ,hence my
question..

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

aejm wrote:
Stuart B wrote:
snip
Does anyone here have one of these lamps ...does it also get very hot
?

If it didn't get hot, the wax wouldn't melt, and it wouldn't work.

Yerbut isn't the heat meant to go up towards the lamp & not out through the
base? My daughter had one & I don't recall that getting hot.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
aejm wrote:
Stuart B wrote:
snip
Does anyone here have one of these lamps ...does it also get very hot
?

If it didn't get hot, the wax wouldn't melt, and it wouldn't work.

Yerbut isn't the heat meant to go up towards the lamp & not out through the
base? My daughter had one & I don't recall that getting hot.

I have two - the glass gets warm, the bottom of the base gets hot, the
top half of the base gets very hot.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
aejm wrote:
Stuart B wrote:
snip
Does anyone here have one of these lamps ...does it also get very hot
?

If it didn't get hot, the wax wouldn't melt, and it wouldn't work.

Yerbut isn't the heat meant to go up towards the lamp & not out through
the
base? My daughter had one & I don't recall that getting hot.

I have two - the glass gets warm, the bottom of the base gets hot, the top
half of the base gets very hot.

--
Si

Mine has a small REFLECTOR type bulb, 39mm I think. This must help with
making the heat go where it's wanted - into the bottle rather than out the
sides. The whole base does get hot though.

Regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Simon Stroud
writes
"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
aejm wrote:
Stuart B wrote:
snip
Does anyone here have one of these lamps ...does it also get very hot
?

If it didn't get hot, the wax wouldn't melt, and it wouldn't work.

Yerbut isn't the heat meant to go up towards the lamp & not out through
the
base? My daughter had one & I don't recall that getting hot.

I have two - the glass gets warm, the bottom of the base gets hot, the top
half of the base gets very hot.

Mine has a small REFLECTOR type bulb, 39mm I think. This must help with
making the heat go where it's wanted - into the bottle rather than out the
sides. The whole base does get hot though.

Both mine came second-hand from ebay and neither had reflecting bulbs in
place. Reflector bulbs make sense.

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart B wrote in message
The bottle sits loosely on to the base and the 40 watt golfball bulb
is in the base . When switched on the base which is plastic ( poss

I am sure mine does not have a 40watt bulb in it (and its a proper one -
like yours)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 23:21:02 -0000, "Matthew Ames"
wrote:

Stuart B wrote in message
.. .
The bottle sits loosely on to the base and the 40 watt golfball bulb
is in the base . When switched on the base which is plastic ( poss

I am sure mine does not have a 40watt bulb in it (and its a proper one -
like yours)

It's hard to tell from the website what type of bulb they supply as a
replacement but the label inside the base has a diagram showing a
golfball shape bulb and it says 40 Watt

http://www.mathmos.com/erol.html#6166X0

Stuart