Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cavity Wall Insulation ?

Can anyone tell me what cavity wall insulation looks like when injected into
the wall please.

Is it like a sort of loft insulation but is little tiny bits.... I can't
think of anyway of describing it, sorry !

--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2007 16:54, the_constructor wrote:
Can anyone tell me what cavity wall insulation looks like when injected into
the wall please.

Is it like a sort of loft insulation but is little tiny bits.... I can't
think of anyway of describing it, sorry !

varies, mine is the injected liquid foam type, you can see it in places
in the loft where there were gaps in the bickwork and it "flooded in" a
bit, dripped down the wall and then set, when modifying the porch I
found another place where a load of it had found its way through a hole
chased for mains cables to the garage.

some I think are like the contents of bean-bags, blow into the cavity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
On 29/11/2007 16:54, the_constructor wrote:
Can anyone tell me what cavity wall insulation looks like when
injected into the wall please.

Is it like a sort of loft insulation but is little tiny bits.... I
can't think of anyway of describing it, sorry !

varies, mine is the injected liquid foam type, you can see it in places
in the loft where there were gaps in the bickwork and it "flooded in" a
bit, dripped down the wall and then set, when modifying the porch I
found another place where a load of it had found its way through a hole
chased for mains cables to the garage.

some I think are like the contents of bean-bags, blow into the cavity.

Andy

What you have is glass fibre granules. Probably the best type for an
existing house. Lots of different forms of insulation have been tried.
The foam method was used a lot at one time. It is easy to put in but, as
I found out in a past house, unreacted chemicals can cause a bad and
potentially hazardous vapour. It took a few weeks to clear completely.
Its a surprise when you come across some of extruding from the edges of
the wall for example in the loft. New houses usually have slabs of
insulation put in as the walls are being built.

Its not at all dangerous, perhaps unless you eat it.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
On 29/11/2007 16:54, the_constructor wrote:
Can anyone tell me what cavity wall insulation looks like when
injected into the wall please.

Is it like a sort of loft insulation but is little tiny bits.... I
can't think of anyway of describing it, sorry !

varies, mine is the injected liquid foam type, you can see it in places
in the loft where there were gaps in the bickwork and it "flooded in" a
bit, dripped down the wall and then set, when modifying the porch I
found another place where a load of it had found its way through a hole
chased for mains cables to the garage.

some I think are like the contents of bean-bags, blow into the cavity.

Sorry Andy the op was the_constructor not you

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what cavity wall insulation looks like when injected
into the wall please.

Is it like a sort of loft insulation but is little tiny bits.... I can't
think of anyway of describing it, sorry !

I've recently had rockwall insulation installed. It is white, fluffy and in
small pieces.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...

Andy Burns wrote:
[...]

Ah right. Thanks Peter and everyone else

--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what cavity wall insulation looks like when injected
into the wall please.

Is it like a sort of loft insulation but is little tiny bits.... I can't
think of anyway of describing it, sorry !

I've recently had rockwall insulation installed. It is white, fluffy and
in small pieces.

mark

Like this

http://i2.tinypic.com/8bdwsvr.jpg

Note that I had my cavity wall insulation done from the inside.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 29 Nov, 16:54, "the_constructor" wrote:
Can anyone tell me what cavity wall insulation looks like when injected into
the wall please.

Is it like a sort of loft insulation but is little tiny bits.... I can't
think of anyway of describing it, sorry !

--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

One type is like a soft expanded foam - a bit like dried shaving foam.

Another is polystyrene beads - like in a bean-bag

The third type is fine tufts of fibreglass - if there is a "Bear
Factory" near you, go and see how they fill the teddybears, its more
or less the same.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...
Like this
http://i2.tinypic.com/8bdwsvr.jpg

That must have been an enormous fly you hit :-)
--
DB.

Cavity wall insulation mikehh UK diy 1 May 18th 07 08:33 AM
Cavity wall insulation MikeH UK diy 1 July 15th 06 07:36 PM
cavity wall insulation LongYP UK diy 2 June 19th 06 03:52 PM
cavity wall insulation - interior wall ? completed now Pete Cross UK diy 2 May 12th 06 12:40 PM
Cavity wall insulation doozer UK diy 7 November 16th 05 05:13 PM