Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Venturi showers

My daughter's bloke hasn't got a shower and she has asked what would be
needed to fit one.

It appears they have an all electric house - cylinder with immersion heater.

With Part P in mind I was reluctant to suggest an electric shower or a
pumped system and had read about the venturi shower (Trevi Boost). I passed
this info on and it has now come to haunt me in the form of "Daddy, could
you come and take a look to see if you could fit one of those showers that
you thought would be good?"

Will be going to look on Tues. First thing - is the hot feed 22 mm.

Have any of the contributors any experience of this sort of shower as I am
slightly reluctant to put their money where my mouth was and wary of an
unsatisfactory end result?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
My daughter's bloke hasn't got a shower and she has asked what would
be needed to fit one.

It appears they have an all electric house - cylinder with immersion
heater.

With Part P in mind I was reluctant to suggest an electric shower or a
pumped system and had read about the venturi shower (Trevi Boost). I
passed this info on and it has now come to haunt me in the form of
"Daddy, could you come and take a look to see if you could fit one of
those showers that you thought would be good?"

Oh the joys of being a Dad :-) Guess where I'm working (for free) on
Saturday morning?

I've repaired 1 Trevi & about 3 Aqualisa venturi showers in the past. Not
to say they are unreliable, there are thousands of these in the new builds
around here and our water is more like slightly damp chalk than hard water.

Aqualisa have a technical helpline that is 100% superb, can't speak highly
enough of them. www.aqualisa.co.uk

Give them a call, I'm sure they will give good advice.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have had a Trevi Boost for 3 years. Absolutely essential to have 22mm
throughout hot water feed and minimum of bends (ideally exclusively to
that shower). Mine has about a 1.5m head and delivers the goods rather
well. Very well made components. ISTR they insist on using their spray
head. I did, and still looks and performs superbly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
My daughter's bloke hasn't got a shower and she has asked what would be
needed to fit one.

It appears they have an all electric house - cylinder with immersion
heater.

With Part P in mind I was reluctant to suggest an electric shower or a
pumped system and had read about the venturi shower (Trevi Boost). I
passed this info on and it has now come to haunt me in the form of "Daddy,
could you come and take a look to see if you could fit one of those
showers that you thought would be good?"

Will be going to look on Tues. First thing - is the hot feed 22 mm.

Have any of the contributors any experience of this sort of shower as I am
slightly reluctant to put their money where my mouth was and wary of an
unsatisfactory end result?

John

Who is to know a shower has been fitted unless you put a big poster outside
the house?
You need an electric shower, circuit breaker rated to match the shower, 6mm
T&E cable and a switch to isolate it - proper switch outside the bathroom or
pull switch inside. A few bits of 15mm pipe and bits to join it on,
depending on whether you can solder a pipe or not. Don't forget a tap or
some form of isolator inline with the shower feed.
It shouldn't take you longer than half a day to fit. If you haven't a clue,
just be honest about it and say so. Then no one will waste time and money!
Never say you can do things when you can't, you will not always have an
internet newsgroup to run to like many seem to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:49:00 -0000 someone who may be "Frank"
wrote this:-

You need an electric shower, circuit breaker rated to match the shower,

Circuit breakers are rather large items of equipment to fit in a
house. Far better would be a miniature circuit breaker or fuse to
fit in a spare way of the consumer unit, having first ascertained
that the consumer unit and external wiring can cope with the new
load.

A protective device should be rated to protect the circuit and load,
not match it.

6mm T&E cable

That rather depends on the load, protective device and how the cable
is installed. If it is clipped direct then this size may be
adequate, if it is embedded in (thermal) insulating material it is
most unlikely to be adequate.

and a switch to isolate it - proper switch outside the bathroom or
pull switch inside. A few bits of 15mm pipe and bits to join it on,
depending on whether you can solder a pipe or not. Don't forget a tap or
some form of isolator inline with the shower feed.

This list ignores the question of bonding the shower. It also
ignores the issue of preventing possible contamination of the water
supply.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

I would not like to use my electrical ability in such an area now. I have
fitted them in the past - but as I now know that I would be in contavation
of the laws and that it isn't my house and HIPS and things I am not going to
venture into fitting an electric shower. I guess it would require a seperate
circuit breaker as the existing one is prbably full and it is starting to
become a big job - then there are the "ping -f..k-its" that would make the
job bigger than it really is. I may end up recomending that they have
someone install one if fitting a Venturi doesn't seem straightforward.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov, 23:58, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Dave
I cannot locate which model of Aqulisa is a venturi type - can you
assist please.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:37:45 +0000, John wrote:

Have any of the contributors any experience of this sort of shower as I
am slightly reluctant to put their money where my mouth was and wary of
an unsatisfactory end result?

Cheapo B&Q job I fitted a few years back gave trouble after a while.

If it's simply Part P avoidance how about either a low voltage power shower
(or separate LV pump) or, if affordable, Aqualisa Quartz fitted outside
the bathroom zones?

--
John Stumbles

Blamestorming
Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed
or a project failed, and who was responsible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:37:45 +0000, John wrote:

Have any of the contributors any experience of this sort of shower as I
am slightly reluctant to put their money where my mouth was and wary of
an unsatisfactory end result?

Cheapo B&Q job I fitted a few years back gave trouble after a while.

If it's simply Part P avoidance how about either a low voltage power shower
(or separate LV pump) or, if affordable, Aqualisa Quartz fitted outside
the bathroom zones?

If a pump or a shower is fitted outside of the bathroom is it notifiable
under part P? It isn't in the bathroom so one would presume not but it
does handle water which goes directly to the bathroom so just as
dangerous if one were to get it wrong.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Likewise - is it discontinued?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who is to know a shower has been fitted unless you put a big poster
outside
the house?
You need an electric shower,

He doesn't he needs a Trevi Boost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

I would not like to use my electrical ability in such an area now.

Go for the Trevi Boost. Not cheap but very well made and good looking. AS
been said, run a dedicated 22mm hot supply from the cylinder to the mixer
and a 15mm cold water mains supply.

They work well giving high pressure showers as much as the mains can
deliver. get the tech specs of the Trevi and test your main pressure. Theses
venturi mixers must be run within the makers specs. Problems are invariably
poor installation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov, 23:37, "John" wrote:
My daughter's bloke hasn't got a shower and she has asked what would be
needed to fit one.

It appears they have an all electric house - cylinder with immersion heater.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Think it was called an Aquamixa mains cold & gravity hot water.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:37:04 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

If a pump or a shower is fitted outside of the bathroom is it notifiable
under part P?

Have a look at Part P itself -
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADP_2006.pdf
in particular Table 1. I'd quote from it but the pillocks who produced
this document have made it so that you can't copy & paste text[1]. As I
read it if the work is not in a location containing a bath tub or shower
basin and doesn't involve providing a new circuit back to the consumer
unit then it's not notifiable.

It isn't in the bathroom so one would presume not but it
does handle water which goes directly to the bathroom so just as
dangerous if one were to get it wrong.

No need to worry about that: if it's done in accordance with Part P it will
be safe! Same as replacing an electric shower (provided it doesn't need new
wiring) is OK wrt Part P. OTOH if you connect a thermostat to a boiler
that's dangerous - gotta notify that!

[1] except for accessibility: kpdf[2] offers to speak selected text so
prsumably one could have a "text-to-speech" application that actually
copied the text to a file or clipboard buffer (a la vsound for
grabbing audio from realplayer etc). Anybody know of such a thing?

[2] linux-speak. For those of you still using Micro$oft Windows: just keep
banging the rocks together guys!

--
John Stumbles

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
Have a look at Part P itself -
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADP_2006.pdf
in particular Table 1. I'd quote from it but the pillocks who produced
this document have made it so that you can't copy & paste text[1].

Evince 0.6.1 (default .pdf reader in Ubuntu 6.10) quite happily allows
me to select/copy/paste from that document, John. Although the
"ONLINEVERSION" watermark *also* gets copied, but that's not too
difficult to clean up. What .pdf reader are you using?

Styx

venturi vacuum Joe Woodworking 11 August 22nd 07 04:48 PM
Venturi Showers dcbwhaley UK diy 7 January 22nd 07 09:31 AM
Venturi Shower John UK diy 2 November 1st 06 11:25 PM
Built in Venturi Showers. Kevin UK diy 4 May 25th 06 12:11 AM
Venturi showers al UK diy 4 January 12th 06 04:42 PM