Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Venturi Showers

I am about to embark on a bathroom refurbishment and I want to improve
my shower. I currently have a mixer shower which can, at best, be
described as adequate. The head for the hot water is only a meter.

The alternatives seem to be:
an electric shower - major electrical work, but minor plumbing,
probaly not much better pressure than at present and an
unattractive box on the wall.
an integrated power shower - minor electrical, more complicated
plumbing, not sure of the pressure and again a box on the wall.
a shower pump - not really got room in the airing cupboard for this
a venturi shower - this seems ideal, simple plumbing no electrical
work. So what is the dowmside to this. Anyone have any experience
with them or know which brands are best?

A further point. I am thinking of having my water metered for a trial
period but reading the small print it seems that the water board will
not let you revert to unmetered water if you have, among others, a
power shower. Is a Venturi classed as a power shower ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jan 2007 03:12:15 -0800 someone who may be "dcbwhaley"
wrote this:-

a venturi shower - this seems ideal, simple plumbing no electrical
work. So what is the dowmside to this. Anyone have any experience
with them or know which brands are best?

Provided the design and installation instructions are followed there
are few complaints with them. The instructions are available on the
web and can be found with search engines. There are only a few
models to research.

A further point. I am thinking of having my water metered for a trial
period but reading the small print it seems that the water board will
not let you revert to unmetered water if you have, among others, a
power shower. Is a Venturi classed as a power shower ?

Ask them. It probably depends on their personal whim.

If you are part of a large family then a water meter often means
higher bills, if you live alone or are part of a small family then a
meter usually means smaller bills. However, it depends on the water
consumption, which can vary wildly between apparently similar
families.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dcbwhaley wrote:

a venturi shower - this seems ideal, simple plumbing no electrical
work. So what is the dowmside to this. Anyone have any experience
with them or know which brands are best?

Only that I've repaired several of them - Aqualisa & Mira. Bits are easy
enough to get but not cheap. Last one was an Aquamixer and the cartridge
was over £100. Mira was a bit cheaper. Worth checking out.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "dcbwhaley" contains these words:

Anyone have any experience
with them or know which brands are best?

I fitted a Trevi Boost for my sister and can recommend that. It was not
cheap but some at least of the cheap venturi showers have a very poor
reputation.

No doubt Dribble will be along shortly to again claim that I couldn't
possibly have fitted the shower but (again) I won't see it unless
someone reposts Dribbles fantasy. That is one of the many reasons
Dribble resides in my kill file.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dcbwhaley" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to embark on a bathroom refurbishment and I want to improve
my shower. I currently have a mixer shower which can, at best, be
described as adequate. The head for the hot water is only a meter.

The alternatives seem to be:
an electric shower - major electrical work, but minor plumbing,
probaly not much better pressure than at present and an
unattractive box on the wall.
an integrated power shower - minor electrical, more complicated
plumbing, not sure of the pressure and again a box on the wall.
a shower pump - not really got room in the airing cupboard for this
a venturi shower - this seems ideal, simple plumbing no electrical
work. So what is the dowmside to this. Anyone have any experience
with them or know which brands are best?

You haven't mentioned the source of the Hot Water.
An alternative approach is to incorporate a 'Heat Bank/ Thermal Store' as
the source of Hot Water. With such an arrangement the HW, will be at
mains-pressure.

A further point. I am thinking of having my water metered for a trial
period but reading the small print it seems that the water board will
not let you revert to unmetered water if you have, among others, a
power shower. Is a Venturi classed as a power shower ?

Water _boards_ are passé; the Water _Company_ is the new kid (supplier) on
the block.
AIUI, power-showers are notifiable and you'll have no option but to have a
meter installed.
[Southern Water offered to install meters without charge some years back but
I understand that one has to pay a fee nowadays ... browse your Water
Suppliers website for details]

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:

I fitted a Trevi Boost for my sister and can recommend that. It was
not cheap but some at least of the cheap venturi showers have a very
poor reputation.

Sorry, in my last post I mentioned Aqualisa & Mira. Should have been
Aqualisa & Trevi Boost.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:37:49 GMT someone who may be "Brian Sharrock"
wrote this:-

Water _boards_ are passé; the Water _Company_ is the new kid (supplier) on
the block.

Depends which country one is in. Scotland currently has one water
board, though it is not called that as part of the objective (both
with it and its three predecessors) is to privatise it when the
public are not looking.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message .com
from "dcbwhaley" contains these words:

Anyone have any experience
with them or know which brands are best?

I fitted a Trevi Boost for my sister and can recommend that.

Roger, you must have screwed it up! I can't believe it works.

Venturi Shower John UK diy 2 November 2nd 06 12:25 AM
Built in Venturi Showers. Kevin UK diy 4 May 25th 06 01:11 AM
Venturi showers al UK diy 4 January 12th 06 05:42 PM
venturi vacuum generator plans Tom Metalworking 16 December 8th 05 03:48 AM
Venturi shower pressure problem Mark Trueman UK diy 0 July 19th 03 12:19 PM