Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Sam is offline

Default loft hatch

Hi,

I would like to replace our loft hatch. I know you can get some ready
assembled plastic ones but I'm not sure about locking them. They seem
to have a plastic latch that you turn through 90 degrees to lock the
door closed. The problem is: how do you reach it to turn it when it's
eight foot high?

I wondered about making my own from wood as the existing one is rather
tatty. At the moment it is a push-up type and I'd like to replace it
with one on hinges to lower down, with a retractable ladder.

Do I use mdf or do I get "real wood" in tongue and groove form and
join that to make a hatch?

I suppose the only problem with sliding the ladder up after use is
that it will squash the insulation.

Is there anything else I need to think about before I start?

TIA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Sam" wrote:
Hi,

I would like to replace our loft hatch. I know you can get some ready
assembled plastic ones but I'm not sure about locking them. They seem
to have a plastic latch that you turn through 90 degrees to lock the
door closed. The problem is: how do you reach it to turn it when it's
eight foot high?

I wondered about making my own from wood as the existing one is rather
tatty. At the moment it is a push-up type and I'd like to replace it
with one on hinges to lower down, with a retractable ladder.

Do I use mdf or do I get "real wood" in tongue and groove form and
join that to make a hatch?

I suppose the only problem with sliding the ladder up after use is
that it will squash the insulation.

Is there anything else I need to think about before I start?

TIA.

I recently converted my loft hatch from a push up to a pull down. The catch
is operated by a hook on the end of a piece of dowel, as is the pull down
loft ladder. Due to lack of space in the loft I installed a concertina
ladder which is held up by springs above the hatch opening when the ladder
is in the up position. You can prevent a slide up ladder from squashing the
insulation by fixing a wooden rail to the joists. The original hatch was MDF
which I cut down to fit the smaller opening. In my experience a push up
hatch gives a much better draught seal than can be achieved with a pull down
hatch. If you use tongue and grove be aware that it may be heavier than MDF
or a sheet of plywood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DIY wrote:
"Sam" wrote:
[...]

IME blockboard is the best material. Takes screws well on the edge and
is a good deal lighter than mdf.
The key thing to remember is that you make the frame with the door as a
freestanding item and then fit it to the joists. Trying to fit a door to
an existing frame can be frustrating to say the least.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Sam
scribeth thus
Hi,

I would like to replace our loft hatch. I know you can get some ready
assembled plastic ones but I'm not sure about locking them. They seem
to have a plastic latch that you turn through 90 degrees to lock the
door closed. The problem is: how do you reach it to turn it when it's
eight foot high?

I wondered about making my own from wood as the existing one is rather
tatty. At the moment it is a push-up type and I'd like to replace it
with one on hinges to lower down, with a retractable ladder.

Do I use mdf or do I get "real wood" in tongue and groove form and
join that to make a hatch?

I suppose the only problem with sliding the ladder up after use is
that it will squash the insulation.

Is there anything else I need to think about before I start?

TIA.

We've had one of those plastic ones made by the same people who make
Osma drains and stuff.

Pile of cack.. distorts and leaves gaps that the wind whistles through.

Make it from wood with some foam seal round the edges and some sort of
catch to hold it tight in place against the sealing foam..

Shouldn't worry about the ladder squashing a bit of loft insulation!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:24:30 GMT, Sam wrote:

I would like to replace our loft hatch. I know you can get some ready
assembled plastic ones ...

You can also get ready assembled timber ones, frame, hatch and ladder that
sits over the hatch when up.

CostCo sell 'em for about £80 + VAT. I think that one is "Eco", plenty of
others listed at

http://www.loftsandladders.com/acata...t_Ladders_in_T
imber_6.html

Handy Google find

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov, 15:24, Sam wrote:
Hi,

I would like to replace our loft hatch. I know you can get some ready
assembled plastic ones but I'm not sure about locking them. They seem
to have a plastic latch that you turn through 90 degrees to lock the
door closed. The problem is: how do you reach it to turn it when it's
eight foot high?

I wondered about making my own from wood as the existing one is rather
tatty. At the moment it is a push-up type and I'd like to replace it
with one on hinges to lower down, with a retractable ladder.

Do I use mdf or do I get "real wood" in tongue and groove form and
join that to make a hatch?

I suppose the only problem with sliding the ladder up after use is
that it will squash the insulation.

Is there anything else I need to think about before I start?

TIA.

Not to go against the thread, I recently fitted:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79577/...oft-Door-White

Easy to fit as I had to resize an existing hatch and get the ceiling
skimmed afterwards. I would agree its not the most robust
construction, but its only a loft hatch. The door comes of easily for
extra access. Very well draught insulated and a piece of polystyrene
on the back, locks securely with the end of the pole used for the
ladder.

Hope that helps