Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Routing curves in 18mm Birch ply.

I am routing some 18mm birch ply non standard shaped curves, for a PC
desk, and will want to cut the ply with at least three seperate passes
with the router. Can I only do this by using a 1/2" guide bush or is
there a way of making more than one pass by using a cutter with a
roller bearing? I intend to make the template from 4mm MDF with a
jigsaw and then sand the edge smooth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 13:45, Housemartin wrote:
I am routing some 18mm birch ply non standard shaped curves, for a PC
desk, and will want to cut the ply with at least three seperate passes
with the router. Can I only do this by using a 1/2" guide bush or is
there a way of making more than one pass by using a cutter with a
roller bearing? I intend to make the template from 4mm MDF with a
jigsaw and then sand the edge smooth.

I'm just abeginner with routers. But using a cutter with a bearing is
very easy.
I think you should use a cutter with a bearing on the shaft rather
than on
the end of the cutter.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Housemartin wrote:

I am routing some 18mm birch ply non standard shaped curves, for a PC
desk, and will want to cut the ply with at least three seperate passes
with the router. Can I only do this by using a 1/2" guide bush or is
there a way of making more than one pass by using a cutter with a
roller bearing? I intend to make the template from 4mm MDF with a
jigsaw and then sand the edge smooth.

You can use one with a top bearing, but you will need a thicker template
(or at least a set of spacers to keep it at bearing height). Otherwise
you will nick the template and then you are stuffed!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm just abeginner with routers. But using a cutter with a bearing is
very easy.
I think you should use a cutter with a bearing on the shaft rather
than on
the end of the cutter.

Arthur

Yes thanks,
but that does not help me, because if the template is 5mm wide then
how can I increase the depth of the cut and still have the bearing
resting on the edge of the template?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Housemartin wrote:
I'm just abeginner with routers. But using a cutter with a bearing is
very easy.
I think you should use a cutter with a bearing on the shaft rather
than on
the end of the cutter.

Arthur

Yes thanks,
but that does not help me, because if the template is 5mm wide then
how can I increase the depth of the cut and still have the bearing
resting on the edge of the template?

You could get different sized bearings. Start with a large bearing to
give a shallow cut then decrease in steps of say 3mm until the bearing
size matches the cutter size.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 16:17, Housemartin wrote:
I'm just abeginner with routers. But using a cutter with a bearing is
very easy.
I think you should use a cutter with a bearing on the shaft rather
than on
the end of the cutter.

Arthur

Yes thanks,
but that does not help me, because if the template is 5mm wide then
how can I increase the depth of the cut and still have the bearing
resting on the edge of the template?

If the cutter you're planning to use is not long enough to trim the
18mm ply
in one go, then just extend the height of the cutter and the bearing
will then
rest on the ply that you have trimmed.
You might have to do this in multiple passes if you have a lot of
material to remove.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Housemartin wrote:
I am routing some 18mm birch ply non standard shaped curves, for a PC
desk, and will want to cut the ply with at least three seperate passes
with the router. Can I only do this by using a 1/2" guide bush or is
there a way of making more than one pass by using a cutter with a
roller bearing? I intend to make the template from 4mm MDF with a
jigsaw and then sand the edge smooth.

Router on its own isn't the best tool for doing this because of the multiple
passes required.

Use the template to mark the outline, then use a jigsaw to cut the rough
shape very slightly larger than the template - 2 mm is enough. Then use the
bearing cutter to trim the edges flush to the template in one pass..

Much quicker.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 20, 8:56 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Housemartin wrote:
[...]

Yes many thanks for that, its obvious to me now.Thanks for all your
replies folks.
Think I will go and buy a new brain!

Baltic Birch vs. Natural Birch (with poplar core) for Heavy Duty Bookcase blueman Woodworking 17 October 6th 06 12:48 PM
Preparing 18mm ply for under new granite worktop Ron Lowe UK diy 1 July 23rd 06 06:53 PM
18mm upvc facias Neil UK diy 2 August 15th 05 08:08 AM
Dadoing 18mm Baltic Birch Ply Alan Smithee Woodworking 29 July 2nd 05 06:05 PM
birch ply vs Baltic birch ply Bay Area Dave Woodworking 8 June 9th 04 04:06 AM